Generally in meetings the only tablet I see is a Playbook because I'm the only one with a tablet... Draws lots of attention though

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 10:37 PM
    Of course you will see more iPads. In fact I have never seen another PB other than mine in hotels coffee shops etc. I don't care, I know I have the best tablet.
    But it really burns me when I see iPods routinely using Skype in public wifi sites.
    02-09-12 11:21 PM
    more like 25 Ipads for one playbook. I think PB sold over 2mil so far. Hopefully with 2.0 out and lower prices this ratio will get down even more.
    The problem is that we'll see the next iPad announced the beginning of March with it going on sale about two weeks later. It'll be at the same price point of the current one with substantial upgrades making the Playbook significantly out of date. There's also speculation that Apple will continue selling the iPad 2 at a lower price range alongside their new model.

As much as I enjoy my Playbook, I don't see RIM selling significantly more without updated hardware.
    coolaide likes this.
    02-10-12 12:09 AM
    IMO, OS 2.0 is one thing that will make it or beak it for RIM. They need to play this one right or else starting to lose their loyal fans. If OS 2.0 is succesfull, perhaps people will begin to trust that Blackberry is still one of the best out there.
    02-10-12 12:31 AM
    The problem is that we'll see the next iPad announced the beginning of March with it going on sale about two weeks later. It'll be at the same price point of the current one with substantial upgrades making the Playbook significantly out of date.
    That's the thing about technology. The PlayBook turns 1 in a few months, you can't expect it to beat a brand new tablet.
    02-10-12 12:40 AM
    Sometimes I'm on construction sites where there is no wifi. Yesterday I'm inspecting damaged wood trusses. Using evernote for field notes and pictures the customer was amazed that I was messaging, taking photos, answering bbms and reading emails all with my phone in my pocket. The clincher was while sending the report to my office a voice call came in and it displayed the persons name and number on my PB. I took my phone out of my pocket and answered the call. This guy had a wifi only iPad under his arm griping about how his ipad was unusable when sending large emails and he couldn't multitask. I make it a point to show people the real life usability of the Playbook. The form factor is perfect for mobile situations.
    02-10-12 12:51 AM
    The absence of real multitasking on the iPad makes it unusable for me in real life situations. I keep it at home for browsing (well without flash, it is not that good for that either), watching TV at breakfast or outside, and reading.
    fanatical likes this.
    02-10-12 01:27 AM
    I carry my PB proud despite more iPad users out there. Some of my friends are getting used to my PB and are jealous. I come over to my friends house and hook it up to their TV so we could watch movies and TV shows together. It's a feature that they are buying into lately.
    02-10-12 02:03 AM
    +1 tim. My PB is with me, in my pocket, even if I sometimes forget my phone ...
    02-10-12 02:07 AM
    Rims problem is Marketing. When I got my PB, the first thing the salesman tried to do was get me to buy a ipad2 instead. telling me how great it was. but after i showed him (yes the salesman) how bridge worked he was sold on the playbook. And while i was showing him how it works 2 other customers watched and the both walked out with playbooks. If its that easy for me to sell playbooks while in the store for 30min why cant rim. they should set a date for 2.0 and start advertising the cool features. thats where Apple wins there customers. they have commercials months before products release and they set a date and keep it.
    bitek likes this.
    02-10-12 03:45 AM
    Why do you think they've sold over 2 million? Based on what data? RIM won't report sell-through. I guess in 6 weeks we'll see what there sell-in was for this quarter.
    because rim sold about 500 to 750k before the sale began. I think Rim moved a lot more pb at discounted prices.
    02-10-12 05:39 AM
    Rims problem is Marketing. When I got my PB, the first thing the salesman tried to do was get me to buy a ipad2 instead. telling me how great it was. but after i showed him (yes the salesman) how bridge worked he was sold on the playbook. And while i was showing him how it works 2 other customers watched and the both walked out with playbooks. If its that easy for me to sell playbooks while in the store for 30min why cant rim. they should set a date for 2.0 and start advertising the cool features. thats where Apple wins there customers. they have commercials months before products release and they set a date and keep it.
    100% true. there is so much misinformation out there.
    02-10-12 05:44 AM
    +1 tim. My PB is with me, in my pocket, even if I sometimes forget my phone ...
    I got installed leaked 7.1 on my 9810 last night. mobile hotspot is very cool. combination of pb plus mobile hot spot plus upcoming 2.0 will be priceless.
    02-10-12 05:48 AM
    IMO, OS 2.0 is one thing that will make it or beak it for RIM. They need to play this one right or else starting to lose their loyal fans. If OS 2.0 is succesfull, perhaps people will begin to trust that Blackberry is still one of the best out there.
    2.0 will be successful. os10 will make or break rim.
    02-10-12 05:53 AM
    I dont know what type of people most of you deal with but most ipad users that have seen my pb love it and are very curious about it. Most are interested to see what direction rim is going to take it. I get comments about lack of apps, but most would like to see it evolve into something they can use in business. I never get negative comments about it. It doesnt have a cheap android look or feel. Its very impressive.
    02-10-12 05:55 AM
    At what price? Original price or discounted price?

Yes, the bridging is nice feature, it seems like a lot of people on this forum like it because it provides tethering capability.

Beyond that, what could RIM do to show off PB, especially with 1.0X OS?

Most of apps I use, aside from browser and video player, are Android apps.

If OS 2.0 is make or break for RIM, it must have some really cool features that differentiates itself from the rest.

iPad is a safe bet for any new tablet users. There's no doubt about it. All RIM can do is to make PB just as competitive as iPad, and App selection is everything.
    02-10-12 07:34 AM
    because rim sold about 500 to 750k before the sale began. I think Rim moved a lot more pb at discounted prices.
    I was thinking of the units shipped in the first 3 quarters, the sell through would have been closer to 500k, not 750k. Otherwise it's hard to explain the sudden impetus to discount and the declining sell-in over the first 3 quarters. Then if their sales rate tripled because of the discounts, that would be another 500k sold for this quarter.

Well, we'll see if RIM actually publishes sell through figures this time. Otherwise it's all speculation. We'll find out next month.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-10-12 at 07:56 AM.
    02-10-12 07:54 AM
    There is no reference to 1.6M on that page.

Maybe you added up some numbers, but if that's how you arrived at the total, could you explain the math?

I suspect you've misinterpreted what's there.
    02-10-12 01:00 PM
    "In December 2011, RIM announced that it sold more than 150,000 PlayBooks in the third fiscal quarter, compare to 200,000 shipments in the second quarter and 500,000 shipments in the first quarter. In total, RIM shipped to reseller channels 800,000 PlayBook tablets in the first 9 months of fiscal year 2012 (ending Nov 2011)"
    coolaide likes this.
    02-10-12 04:07 PM
    woops my bad i added the last figuers ending NOV 2011 wich still does not account for the large sales lately =850,000 + whats been sold by now (i assume its rather large considering the complaints of venders beeing sold out acording to blogers here waiting on back orders and this means RIM has had 3 months to sell more)
    02-10-12 04:11 PM
    Feb 26 roughly is when well see that last quarters statement to add to the 850,000,
    and with the "fire sales" should bring it well up by release time
    02-10-12 04:16 PM
    sorry , i meant March 15-20 release of figures
    end feb 26 roughly
    02-10-12 04:17 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD