To put it straight to the point I was surprised as to why I did not see any other tablets other than iPads. I've only had my Playbook a couple of weeks and prefer it easily over my iPad which now my wife and kids use. However today I got the impression that unless you have an iPad you would not want to be seen with it.

My regret is that I did not take my PB as I would have proudly shown it off but has anyone felt this? I'm sure others had tablets today but did not want to 'get it out'. Maybe a cost factor, we want to show off the top paid items!
    02-09-12 04:14 PM
    Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that Apple has sold millions of iPads. If there are 50 of one item for every one of another, you are far more likely to see the first. No, I don't see anyone besides me with a Playbook, but I also don't really care. People should use whatever they are comfortable using. I don't carry a Playbook as either a status item or a fashion accessory.
    DAnklaud and Jean-luc_Picard like this.
    02-09-12 04:22 PM
    If you only saw one Ipad that means market penetration by tablets in the business world is still in its infancy. That was an remark by Mike Lazaridis in last quarterly call. Sooo good news that means playbook does not have huge hurdles to make a dent in the business world.

At my workplace in toronto i know at least half dozen people who bought playbooks during the sales and that is just in the circle of people i know. there are 1000 people at my work. So no i don't feel so lonely.
    02-09-12 06:05 PM
    To put it straight to the point I was surprised as to why I did not see any other tablets other than iPads.
    Well, they've sold over 55 million iPads to date. So in general, for every one Playbook out there, there are at least 50 iPads that have been sold.

I guess it depends on the conferences you attend and where, and what field you are in. I see a fair number of Galaxy tabs wherever I go, but still many, many more iPads.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-09-12 at 06:46 PM.
    02-09-12 06:37 PM
    Not unusual except for the business part. In the last three or four meetings I've been in where other companies were involved, four tablets were used, laptops or convertibles represented the majority devices. No iPads nor Android to be seen, three Windows tablets and a PB, not counting mine.
    02-09-12 06:39 PM
    You only see 1 playbook for every 50 ipads coz having a pb is prestige. Not everyone can afford it.
    02-09-12 06:42 PM
    When I bought my PB, I picked it because that's what I wanted. I don't care what others think or say, I love it and that is all that matters. Hold your head up and don't let anyone ever make you feel less than them in ANY situation. Just my 2 cents.
    02-09-12 07:06 PM
    I love my PlayBook, but face it - iPads are more useful.
    02-09-12 07:10 PM
    I love my PlayBook, but face it - iPads are more useful.
    And your point exactly?
    02-09-12 07:18 PM
    Well, they've sold over 55 million iPads to date. So in general, for every one Playbook out there, there are at least 50 iPads that have been sold.

I guess it depends on the conferences you attend and where, and what field you are in. I see a fair number of Galaxy tabs wherever I go, but still many, many more iPads.
    and only one is portable enough to be taken out in the wild
    buffandsweet33 likes this.
    02-09-12 07:28 PM

more like 25 Ipads for one playbook. I think PB sold over 2mil so far. Hopefully with 2.0 out and lower prices this ratio will get down even more.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-09-12 07:47 PM
    more like 25 Ipads for one playbook. I think PB sold over 2mil so far. Hopefully with 2.0 out and lower prices this ratio will get down even more.
    Why do you think they've sold over 2 million? Based on what data? RIM won't report sell-through. I guess in 6 weeks we'll see what there sell-in was for this quarter.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-09-12 at 08:00 PM.
    cafemag likes this.
    02-09-12 07:48 PM
    It is tough, I kind of know what the OP is saying about taking it out some where. I get crap all the time about either being a "techie geek nerd" or "why would you buy that over an iPad?" Eventually, you just have to ignore it and do what you want. I take mine all over the place. My wife gives me crap about "why do you need to bring that?" but I do it anyway. It does what I want/need it to do when I want/need to do it, so just forget about everyone else and what ever they want to say about it. At least I don't look like a lemming with my iPhone proudly displayed on my hip like some Eastwood six shooter.
    jonno_atamaniuk likes this.
    02-09-12 07:55 PM
    Why do you think they've sold over 2 million? Based on what data? RIM won't report sell-through. I guess in 6 weeks we'll see what there sell-in was for this quarter.
    on wiki u can see that that roughly 1,650,000 playbooks have been shipped by RIM, and that most places are sold out lately.
    02-09-12 08:05 PM
    Well the ipad has been released longer then the playbook..a big screen will help for conference notes/ or maybe even watching a power point presentation on a 4:3 screen.
    Berryuman likes this.
    02-09-12 08:20 PM
    on wiki u can see that that roughly 1,650,000 playbooks have been shipped by RIM, and that most places are sold out lately.
    Link, or it didn't happen.
    02-09-12 08:29 PM
    wiki isnt going to be the best source here....they "shipped" around 800K the first three quarters and i am certain they havent shipping 1.2 million in the last quarter. I am guessing still around 1.1-1.3 million shipped so far.
    02-09-12 08:32 PM
    If you had had a little more time with it and taken it with you, you could have stunned them all. (Jaws dropping to the ground....)
    fanatical likes this.
    02-09-12 08:38 PM
    i work for a large global company and i see a few ipads. i know that my sales force has them and we even have apps designed for our business.

i have seen only one other PB in my building. Coolest thing is I was standing next to an engineer type person while i was answering an email and he was drooling over my pb.
    02-09-12 09:26 PM
    Link, or it didn't happen.
    BlackBerry PlayBook - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    02-09-12 09:47 PM
    no i know wiki isnt the best source , and it only gives shipments , but with the troubles people have been stating of "out of stock" it give you a fair guesstimate
    02-09-12 09:49 PM
    02-09-12 09:50 PM
    you links all provide to the answer i gave above. no 2 million, no 1.625 million either...
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-09-12 09:56 PM
    Since I started bringing mine to work tons of people have bought them, some of them have ipads too but they haven't shown up at work...must be sitting on a coffee table somewhere.
    02-09-12 10:01 PM
    If you had had a little more time with it and taken it with you, you could have stunned them all. (Jaws dropping to the ground....)
    Yup this for sure Just today I had someone in marketing ask me if I could put her iPad on wifi so she could test the new mobile web site the developers were putting up. I explained to her that we had no wifi in that building. Back at my desk, I tried the site with my PB (bridged), and I got our full site (not mobile) and it looked great, and loaded quick. This site is full of multimedia flash etc.... a bit of a hog, but loaded so smooth on the PB. I took it over to her desk, and asked her for the URL for the mobile site as my PB wasn't being redirected. Well, she had a look at my PB and her jaw dropped !!! yes she's a apple fangirl, and I think this was the first time she saw a playbook she played with it a little, and said well I'll let the developers know that the playbook isn't being redirected properly. My reply..... Well maybe the site is smart enough to know the PB browser isn't crippled

As I was leaving her office she asked how I had wifi. her jaw dropped again when I explained I didn't, I was browsing through my phone
    02-09-12 10:31 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD