even though it's compact enough to be fit in your jeans pocket or whatever i wouldn't walk around with one there..it's very awkward...i've tried it with the galaxy tab and the nook color
    04-06-11 06:44 PM
    busted screens are going to be common with this device i think
    04-06-11 06:46 PM
    I'd love to see you guys with these coat pockets come to Florida for 80% of the year (or anywhere moderately warm), you'd have a stroke in the first 5 minutes of being outside. Simply put a coat pocket isnt a solution for everyone unless you live where it's cold year round.
    Why would I go to Fla when I could go to the Rockies?

Joking aside, your original post said "no one wants another device in their pocket". Much of the population in North America as well as the rest of the world live in climates where we wear coats or jackets for over 1/2 the year. For anyone choosing to carry a tablet, that's 1/2 the year you don't have to lug it around in your hand or another bag if it fits in your pocket.

You're flipping your stance from "No one wants" to saying "no one in warm climates wants". Whether or not it's a benefit to you, the 7" size is a benefit to many others.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 04-07-11 at 05:13 AM.
    04-07-11 05:08 AM
    I am an owner of an iPad. I like it for what it does but it doesn't do everything. It is more than a large iPod. The apps designed for the iPad are much nicer because of real state space. As an example Directv launched an app that allows you to control your receiver if hooked up on the same WiFi network this is available on iPhone or iPod Touch.

I personally lost interest in Blackberry several years ago because of phone options. My preference is for touchscreen. I had the Storm(we all know how they worked) then a Tour because I like BB options with BBM. However boot up time and lock ups got to me and forced me to Android.

I continue to follow BB because my wife loves hers and my interest in technology gadgets. She has gone from the 8330 to 9700 to Torch. I will say it appears Blackberry is definitely turning the corner to getting me back as a phone person. The Torch is great via Touch Screen and OS6. The boot up is great but I like 4" screens and no keyboard.

As everyone knows the Playbook is much more refined piece of hardware. To me it appears to the best thing BB has built in a long time. They are entering a market with current standards. As an owner of an Atrix, dual core and 1GB of Ram makes all the difference in the world.

Anyone's decision to move from an iPad 2 to Playbook will be worth it. In my case the ability to use Android apps is a plus. However, like any device we all have our opinions on the plros and cons to getting one. My only wish on the Playbook is a larger screen but I can deal with 7".
    04-07-11 08:02 AM
    busted screens are going to be common with this device i think
    I hear the screens are made of Gorilla Glass, i doubt we'll actually see many busted screens, if this is true.

Check it out here: CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS
    04-07-11 12:04 PM
    I hear the screens are made of Gorilla Glass, i doubt we'll actually see many busted screens, if this is true.

Check it out here: CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS
    How many gorillas do they use in the manufacturing process?
    With the high restrictions and laws on importing gorillas, maybe this could be the reason for the launch delay.
    I also heard Apple has bought up all the low land gorillas, leaving RIM only the mountain gorillas which are less efficient for making screens. Any truth to this rumour?
    04-07-11 12:23 PM
    How many gorillas do they use in the manufacturing process?
    With the high restrictions and laws on importing gorillas, maybe this could be the reason for the launch delay.
    I also heard Apple has bought up all the low land gorillas, leaving RIM only the mountain gorillas which are less efficient for making screens. Any truth to this rumour?

ok two emoticons. LOL!
    04-07-11 12:29 PM
    I just returned my Ipad 2 to Best Buy and reserved the 32 GB Playbook. The Ipad is just plain boring with a behind the times operating system and lack of Flash support. It is truly just a big Ipod Touch.

I have never owned any Blackberry devices but really think the Playbook looks awesome. The new operating system looks great with true multitasking. Just goes to show you that there are some non Blackberry people out there willing to give the Playbook a try...
    Good for you! you'll be glad you did. I predict the Play Book will be as big a game changer as the original iPad was. This isn't just a Droid based toy like the other Tablets popping up these days. This is a serious device that will change the Tablet landscape overnight!
    04-07-11 01:04 PM
    I really don't understand these flame wars.
    This blind fanaticism and pure hatred for something other than that of which you are a fan of is baffling at best.
    I have a Macbook, switched from windows 2 yrs back. Like it, works great and is a better choice for me than windows. That doesn't mean that windows is bad.
    The iPhone is a nice gadget too. Looks great, but the blackberry suits my needs better while the "pluses" if an iPhone don't interest me much. That being said, I don't march up the Apple forum and start spouting hate posts and tell the Apple buyers that they are a bunch of gadget loving pansies.
    The iPhone and iPad don't excite me one bit, so what do I do...I keep the he!l away from the iOS forums.I don't even bother visiting those forums leave aside posting there. I like BB's and I come here to follow BB news. WHY do you come? Clearly not to follow "exciting BB news" cos you don't care about BB's or playbooks.
    Seems to me you are on a mission to ensure everyone has the same stuff as you just on the off chance that what you might have is sh!t, and so everyone else has sh!t and in no way better off than you.This is not to mean that the iphone is sh!t.
    If we extended your logic then everyone should have a Hyundai and the other car companies should shut shop.
    Maybe El Jobso makes an iAuto next. I'm sure you would be first in line to buy the single cylinder, 2 valve, 0.5 horsepower car with a fantastic massaging seat. And then you will promptly head on to the Ferrari forum and tell those guys how much better your iAuto is and why they suc* because they choose to buy Ferraris.

AMEN! I feel like I'm watching my children fight every time someone starts one of these. "Mine is better, no mine is better" How about Mine is better FOR ME, but it's totally ok if your is better FOR YOU.

SMH...
    04-07-11 04:50 PM
    Well isn't the 7" size simply choice. Where appropriate for many people it will be way more portable than a 10" tablet depending where you live. A lot of people have to wear jackets when they travel to clients. They also will seem to have carrying space for a 7" tablet.

Saying a 7" tablet is DOA is presuming that you know best as to what people will choose.
    Well consumers have already spoken regarding the current 7" tablets, they did mediocre/terrible sales wise, even Sammy is killing off their tablet after shipping only 2 million with heavy subsidizing from carriers, and they aren't touching 7" again in this years models.

This gives me the impression that people in Florida walk around naked.

Maybe there's other articles of clothing that have pockets and not just coats.
    When it's the peak of summer, and the humidity is at you, everyone dresses as light as possible and only people going full ****** would be caught wearing jeans or black shirt during the day.

and there are other pockets on clothing, but i just tested out Jesters comment, I own one pair out of 13 jeans that would accommodate a DVD case, but half of it is sticking out and not ideal to carry. That's the back pockets, it doest fit into any front pockets at all. FYI I'm a size 34 so I'm pretty average regarding pants/clothing lol.

The PlayBooks dimensions are exactly the size of a full size DVD case. While testing that, I found that it fit in my suit coat pocket, back pocket of my jeans, and the cargo pocket of my pants and shorts.

Yes, it is more portable. Even with a case on it, it will fit in those pockets (although one of my pairs of jeans has smaller back pockets and it might not fit in there with a case... oh well, it fits in all of the other pairs I own).

*edited to add, a 7" tablet also fits in the tankbag of my motorcycle where an iPad doesn't.
    Read my above comment

Why would I go to Fla when I could go to the Rockies?

Joking aside, your original post said "no one wants another device in their pocket". Much of the population in North America as well as the rest of the world live in climates where we wear coats or jackets for over 1/2 the year. For anyone choosing to carry a tablet, that's 1/2 the year you don't have to lug it around in your hand or another bag if it fits in your pocket.

You're flipping your stance from "No one wants" to saying "no one in warm climates wants". Whether or not it's a benefit to you, the 7" size is a benefit to many others.
    So your assuming every person will carry their Playbook in a coat pocket when it's cold is the reason that the Playbook is more portable? Any business user will undoubtedly have a bag and it would 95% of the time be in that bag while being transported (this is what I observe during the winter times, so I'm speaking from direct experience) because it's one less thing to forget when you have a lot of stuff.

Still for some reason people love to harp on this point saying that it's more mobile, I'm saying it's simply no more mobile than an iPad, unless your goal is to put everything in your pockets.

Anyways i could care less, I'm not gonna buy one (just like I didn't buy this iPad that I'm typing this on) but it just agitates me when people are proclaiming it as being a better mobile device when it's not any more mobile for most people than an iPad is.
    04-07-11 08:37 PM
    I've pre-ordered a PlayBook.
    #1 reason: It's way more portable than a 10" iPad
    MI_Jester likes this.
    04-07-11 09:13 PM
    Still for some reason people love to harp on this point saying that it's more mobile, I'm saying it's simply no more mobile than an iPad, unless your goal is to put everything in your pockets.

Anyways i could care less, I'm not gonna buy one (just like I didn't buy this iPad that I'm typing this on) but it just agitates me when people are proclaiming it as being a better mobile device when it's not any more mobile for most people than an iPad is.
    It seems what really agitates you is hearing others disagree with a subjective opinion you proclaim as universal for most (at least now you're no longer saying all). You repeatedly say others are wrong for a preference that differs from yours.
    04-07-11 09:44 PM
    So your assuming every person will carry their Playbook in a coat pocket when it's cold is the reason that the Playbook is more portable? Any business user will undoubtedly have a bag and it would 95% of the time be in that bag while being transported (this is what I observe during the winter times, so I'm speaking from direct experience) because it's one less thing to forget when you have a lot of stuff.

A smaller device IS a more mobile device... to anyone, thats by definition, wether people carry bags, purses whatever its irrelevant, the fact is that the device is small enough so you could ditch your bag/purse and carry it with you with less hassle than a bigger device, it doesnt even have to be in your pockets, you could just grab it with your hands, more mobile doesnt equal better though, and wheter that is a killer feature or not its mostly subjective and depends on your personal needs/uses of the device.
    05-10-11 04:01 PM
    I also have both and currently I use my iPad 2 more than I do the PlayBook. Here are some of the reasons why:

1. Battery life is better on the iPad 2. Say what you want about the battery life of the playbook, but it is not nearly as good as the iPad's. If you are bridged with wifi connected it drains in about 4-5 hours. With the iPad I can go 8-9 hours with a wireless keyboard connected to bluetooth and wifi connected.

2. Auto Correct - This is a big one for me. I can't for the life of me figure out why RIM left this out of the bridge email and internet typing. Yes I make mistakes when typing on both products, but going back and manually fixing them is just a pain in the ***.

3. I don't care about flash. I don't play flash games or care if a website shows a flash ad. I mainly wanted the playbook as an extension of my blackberry for email and for presentations.

4. Size - To me, portability is a non issue except when I'm with a customer. I can show a presentation on my iPad and let the customer watch it from the iPad. I've tried it with the PlayBook and it works fine, but my customers are squinting to watch the smaller screen. Also I carry a laptop bag and each of them fits into it without any problem.

5. Faster - I personally think that the iPad 2 is faster than the PlayBook. It could just be my opinion but when I do side by side tests the iPad almost always wins, and that is with Flash turned off on the PlayBook. Its also faster with email in that its built in to the iPad and for me at least Bridge is slow and cumbersome at the moment.

6. And the most obvious - Apps - I laugh when I see on here things like iToy or big iPod touch. There are tons of actual useful applications for the iPad. People that think its all games and fart apps are woefully misinformed. There are apps for all walks of life that are not only useful, but beautiful, fun, and educational. My hope is that the playbook gets there someday but right now there just isn't a whole lot in the app store for it.

Feel free to flame, I know its coming.
    05-10-11 04:28 PM
89 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD