Hi all,

Just a quick question but i'm in the UK and have just received my Playbook from Blackberry.....

Problem is, it shipped from the US and didn't come with the UK bit of the mains charger so I can't plug it in.

Any ideas where I can get one from?

Cheers all

Tim
    03-12-12 01:59 PM
    Try ebay..
    thebaldconvict likes this.
    03-12-12 02:01 PM
    You could probably get one from Amazon or you could get a 99p shaver adapter converter thingy
    03-12-12 02:01 PM
    I hear poundland sells data cables (a friend bought one for her BB) aswell as those adapters emtunc said about.
    03-12-12 02:14 PM
    Am ideally looking for the right clip on bit, it has come with a europe (I think) and a US but no UK.....

Found the whole kit, plug and adapters for �10 on Amazon but if I can get just that bit I'm guessing it would be a bit cheaper
    03-12-12 02:17 PM
    The chargers can handle 240 volts as well as 120 volts. What you require is an adapter that will fit your wall outlets. Usually travel outlets sell them for a few bucks. If you are hot to trot and want to get your PB up and running as soon as possible, this is the way to go.
    mem0ryburn and thebaldconvict like this.
    03-12-12 02:19 PM
    You can get it from any electronics store (an Adapter, that is..)

Is it a 16/32/64 gigs version ?
    03-12-12 02:26 PM
    You can get it from any electronics store (an Adapter, that is..)

Is it a 16/32/64 gigs version ?
    I try to guess 16GB's?
    03-12-12 02:28 PM
    Just use something like this:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Mains-...bUvbUpU7229474

or this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Micropix-Wor...bUvbUpU7229474
    Last edited by thetaro; 03-12-12 at 02:33 PM.
    03-12-12 02:28 PM
    Get a travel adapter set from Maplins.
    03-12-12 02:39 PM
    I try to guess 16GB's?
    Bingo

Thanks for all the ideas Its plugged in via a shaver plug that I had right now lol now just to find the proper bit.....
    Scotter75 likes this.
    03-12-12 02:43 PM
    Dunno why they are doing this. A firend from Portugal won one in the webcast where we *exclusively* leaked the release date for OS2.0 and it was also shipped from the US.

Funny fact is, they said they were goign to make sure they got everybody's location 1st so the devices could be shipped locally.

Oh, RIM... Get execution right please...

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, couldn't resist...
    03-12-12 03:14 PM
    Try stepping outa your house..
    03-12-12 03:17 PM
    ??
    03-12-12 03:35 PM
    I'd ask them to supply you with one if it was given to you by RIM, in the meantime I'm led to believe they have boxes and boxes of chargers at any hotel, you might try there.
    03-12-12 03:47 PM
    Am tempted to email them but then I'd feel a tad cheeky lol
    03-12-12 05:11 PM
    A fellow UK Playbook owner.. it gets me all giddy inside =D

Welcome to the club!
    03-12-12 05:17 PM
    Personally I had the same issue when i received mine, and I bought this charger:

GENUINE BLACKBERRY MAINS CHARGER, PLAYBOOK, AC Adapter, UK, EUROPE | eBay

And just use the UK clip from it with the original charger that shipped with the tablet, keeping the actual charger bit from this one as a backup. Working very well and cheaper than Amazon. Seems to be legit BB charger as well, rather than a knock-off.

EDIT: I wouldn't advise using one of the USB adapters, as the time I tried to charge my playbook via USB it didn't work (plugged into PC - charge just stayed the same), and in the help files on the device itself it specifically says you can't charge by USB. But the charger I linked above is cheap and works well, so I'm pretty happy. Considering I got the playbook for free I can't complain about paying �4.65 for a charger I guess.
    Last edited by SifJar; 03-12-12 at 05:23 PM.
    03-12-12 05:20 PM
    SIIICk... are you a developer? How are you finding it? Which SDK are you using?
    03-12-12 05:21 PM
    Am tempted to email them but then I'd feel a tad cheeky lol
    Actually, I wouldn't call that "cheeky" at all. They promised you a device, they provided one that's difficult to use; I'd call them on it.

At the very VERY least, they need to provide you with a way to order a proper, RIM OEM charger. But preferably, they'd actually give it to you for free.
    03-12-12 05:27 PM
    ...I wouldn't advise using one of the USB adapters, as the time I tried to charge my playbook via USB it didn't work (plugged into PC - charge just stayed the same), and in the help files on the device itself it specifically says you can't charge by USB.
    My PB's battery accrues charge -- albeit slowly -- when plugged into my laptop over USB.
    Last edited by cletis; 03-12-12 at 05:31 PM.
    03-12-12 05:28 PM
    ??
    I'm with you on this one, baldy. Maybe it's raining UK-spec PB chargers where varunsain lives?
    03-12-12 05:29 PM
    I think its the law in the UK that they should provide a proper UK standard charger and not the US folding blade charger.
    03-12-12 05:34 PM
    My PB's battery accrues charge -- albeit slowly -- when plugged into my laptop over USB.
    because your laptop USB port doesn't provide enough power.

The PlayBook charger outputs 1.8A
    a typical USB 2.0 port outputs .5A

So, you should probably use the included charger unless you are desperate.
    03-12-12 05:37 PM
    I also received my fee PlayBook in the UK and found no UK adapter. I also bought the rapid charging dock off amazon and it came with an eu plug. I found a shaver adapter worked for the normal charger but not the rapid as it blew the 1amp fuse. I had to get a 'visitor' adapter from poundland that has a 13 amp fuse.
    03-12-12 06:58 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD