It is. Though either it's not 'quite' ready, or my BT stereo headset's a little grumpy as I was getting some 'pop's' and 'crackles' on connecting. I'll bet on the former. It was connected as A2DP.

And, I can confirm kb2755's looking at the same icon's I am (BBM Included). It looks very much like IOS's organization of icons, but i'll take the functionality of being able to move them around a little more freely.

Forgot to try and find some android apps, sorry!
    so... you're talking bbm on a wifi only pb? or were you playing on a 4g ready pb?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 07:26 PM
    This is assuming RIM hosts independent BIS, the cost for them would be developing and deploying a playbookwifi.balckberry.net BIS to register pins against and support currently they leave that to the carriers

your device PIN is registered to a Carrier BIS, like rogers.blackberry.net or sprint.blackberry.net etc, the Carrier maintains the hardware and costs for the service.

YES RIM COULD make it happen, but in a cost savings mind set, setting up a new datacentre / service without getting any income from it would not be a smart move

They already have data centers and infrastructure that support your BBID, BBM Music, Appworld, OTA Playbook updates, etc, so I don't think it would require an entirely new datacenter. Registration could be done by people without any persons involved just like on the phone. RIM is going to have to do this if they truly plan to support BBM on the Playbook because no carrier is going to support a WiFi only device. Apple is providing these type of services via iCloud for free to customers and built a massive data center to support it. Android is providing some services and will provide more as value add. RIM is going to have to provide some value add to compete in the space.
    Last edited by lnichols; 09-19-11 at 08:22 PM.
    09-19-11 08:20 PM
    true true. but seriously.... if telus, wind, sprint, etc etc can handle this?? then common... so can RIM, and probably at a fraction of the cost (what it costs the carriers). Backend stuff is where RIM shines.... as far as I'm concerned (and im sure we all agree here) putting bbm on the wifi only pb would be a win-win for RIM, this alone WILL sell playbooks.... i just can't believe they haven't done this already.... i suggest that we are a mere few weeks away from seeing it happen though... ok... maybe a mere couple months... but still. Make it happen RIM, we know you can!!!

Having BBM on the Wifi PlayBook WILL sell Wifi PlayBooks, but how many BlackBerry users will leave BlackBerry devices? less BlackBerry Devices, less BIS subscriptions the carriers are paying for, giving up a service they are paid for, to give a free service to a device they get lower ASP's for, THAT would be a reason to devalue the stock.
    09-19-11 08:33 PM
    They already have data centers and infrastructure that support your BBID, BBM Music, Appworld, OTA Playbook updates, etc, so I don't think it would require an entirely new datacenter. Registration could be done by people without any persons involved just like on the phone. RIM is going to have to do this if they truly plan to support BBM on the Playbook because no carrier is going to support a WiFi only device. Apple is providing these type of services via iCloud for free to customers and built a massive data center to support it. Android is providing some services and will provide more as value add. RIM is going to have to provide some value add to compete in the space.
    When you have a PIN registration issue who addresses it?
    The BIS infrastructure I would expect needs it's own servers to run and would have a lot of heavy requirements as BBM uptime IS important.

as for iCloud, Apple from my understanding will be offering a fee for service model ontop of iCloud, they also generate far more income from their iTunes service which iCloud will support than RIM will generate in the near future from BBM,

I agree RIM will NEED to provide more value added services, BUT I really don't think if they try and by pass the carriers for BBM services that carriers will want to keep paying for BIS.
    09-19-11 08:48 PM
    Having BBM on the Wifi PlayBook WILL sell Wifi PlayBooks, but how many BlackBerry users will leave BlackBerry devices? less BlackBerry Devices, less BIS subscriptions the carriers are paying for, giving up a service they are paid for, to give a free service to a device they get lower ASP's for, THAT would be a reason to devalue the stock.
    you assume that the carriers care THAT much about keeping blackberry customers, when in fact they don't. If the customers don't buy a blackberry, just what do you think they do?? they go and buy another smartphone which is technically more money in the carriers pocket (lack of bbm leads to more text messages. Also other smartphone brands tend to use more data than blackberries, also leading to more revenue for the carriers.

09-19-11 09:24 PM
    BBM on wifi PB, I'm sure RIM can setup their own infrastructure for that pretty quick...
    My brother has an iphone and I just convinced him to get a PB over an IPAD. (told him I don't know anything about I-things and wouldn't be able to help him when he got into a jam). He won't be able to BBM me from the PB though and that sucks. Hopefully 2.0 will bring bbm to wifi pb, sans bridge.

-I love my PB and with the bridge/wifi I can do everything I need to pretty much everywhere I need to do it. Any functionality they add in the next rev # is just a bonus at this point. (the more the merrier of course..)

UKCatFan3 likes this.
    09-19-11 09:24 PM
    do we get bluetooth that works?
    09-19-11 09:28 PM
    you assume that the carriers care THAT much about keeping blackberry customers, when in fact they don't. If the customers don't buy a blackberry, just what do you think they do?? they go and buy another smartphone which is technically more money in the carriers pocket (lack of bbm leads to more text messages. Also other smartphone brands tend to use more data than blackberries, also leading to more revenue for the carriers.

NO I assume RIM wants the Carriers selling BlackBerry's so RIM gets the revenue for BIS customers of the Carriers.

The Carriers will sell what ever the consumers want to buy, for as much money as they can get out of their customers

RIM offers the carriers lower data usage per customer, for which most of the time the customer over pays for their usage, in exchange for offering this lower data consumption RIM charges a fee to the carriers. the Carriers as you said can sell the next phone, so RIM shouldn't be looking for ways to by pass the carriers model.
    09-19-11 09:34 PM
    so... you're talking bbm on a wifi only pb? or were you playing on a 4g ready pb?

It absolutely is a wifi only PB. It's all beta though, and no reason it couldn't be pulled.
    09-19-11 09:53 PM
    NO I assume RIM wants the Carriers selling BlackBerry's so RIM gets the revenue for BIS customers of the Carriers.

The Carriers will sell what ever the consumers want to buy, for as much money as they can get out of their customers

RIM offers the carriers lower data usage per customer, for which most of the time the customer over pays for their usage, in exchange for offering this lower data consumption RIM charges a fee to the carriers. the Carriers as you said can sell the next phone, so RIM shouldn't be looking for ways to by pass the carriers model.
    Aaaah... I'm sorry. Yes I'm following your thought now, I misunderstood you at first.

Yeah I can see your point. I think not allowing native bbm for wifi only pb's would be a larger mistake for RIM than allowing it.

I know I for one would be EXTREMELY upset if the wifi only pb did not get bbm.

And the number one question that gets asked to me once I've explained that the tablet I own is not an Apple device, but the "BlackBerryy" playbook, is.... "Oh, does that have bbm on it?" To which I find hard to answer with a truthful "yes", even though I am aware of the bridge version (which is garbage imo)... Common RIM... Do what you know you need to... BBM 4 wifi only pb!!!!

09-19-11 10:02 PM
    i feel like an expectant mother. 2.0 is about to be born how exciting
    That was so funny!! HAHAHAHA
    09-19-11 11:11 PM
    true true. but seriously.... if telus, wind, sprint, etc etc can handle this?? then common... so can RIM, and probably at a fraction of the cost (what it costs the carriers). Backend stuff is where RIM shines.... as far as I'm concerned (and im sure we all agree here) putting bbm on the wifi only pb would be a win-win for RIM, this alone WILL sell playbooks.... i just can't believe they haven't done this already.... i suggest that we are a mere few weeks away from seeing it happen though... ok... maybe a mere couple months... but still. Make it happen RIM, we know you can!!!

That functionality alone will probably convince me to buy one.
    09-19-11 11:32 PM
    I don't want iOS like layout. I like the tabs, just would like to be able to customize the names and add/delete tabs. iPads were the same price and if I wanted one I would have bought one. I don't need a QNX clone of iOS. They should allow some customizations of the ui to enable or disable the tabs.
    In my opinion, I don't care whether there are tabs or folders, I'll be happy to be able to organize my apps. And if it works then why complain that it looks similar to iOS. PB is still far better than the iPad in many ways.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-19-11 11:45 PM

This is very right! With my plan the data was just enough when not on BB, with BIS I use about 20-30% of my monthly data. In reality can't get cheaper plan simply because the data and minutes are bundled, and minutes are just enough to me.
    What happens in fact, I do pay extra 10 USD per month (for BIS) to use less data but paying for three to five times more.
    09-19-11 11:56 PM
    I hope they add a feature to configure the tabs because that was a major selling point for me, having all the apps auto arranged is awesome but having to manually put them into folders just seems very 1980's, use F-ing metadata people we are in the 21st century i shouldn't have to put my games into a games folder or my media into a media folder it should just happen like it does now. But if you like it in folders instead of tabs then there should be a setting for that too but please rim don't make major UI changes without making a way to set it back to the "classic" look.

That's just my opinion : )
    09-20-11 01:06 AM
    The one thing I REALLY want is to be able to use my BB's keyboard to control the PB keyboard.

That is all... and maybe Netflix.
    09-20-11 01:10 AM
    The one thing I REALLY want is to be able to use my BB's keyboard to control the PB keyboard.

That is all... and maybe Netflix.
    as per n4bb, that feature is coming as part of 2.0
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    09-20-11 01:52 AM
    would the OP please confirm if OS2 has SMS bridge? i use my pb as if it were my phone. i kinda see it as the ultimate Blackberry, better than having a 9900... except for when someone texts me, i never pull my bb phone out my pocket.
    09-20-11 02:43 AM
    Some new Print on the go app,Twitter
    Finally the official twitter for PB application! Can't wait for it and can't understand how it is possible that there isn't an official app yet.

Can you tell us something about the twitter app? Is it similiar to the mobile app (which I love it)?

Any news about the Skype app?

Thanks for the good post!
    09-20-11 04:03 AM
    amazing!!!
    09-20-11 04:46 AM
    skype app is needed for the bberry curves, will this ever happen?
    09-20-11 04:47 AM
    can't wait fir the update...
    09-20-11 05:02 AM
    skype app is needed for the bberry curves, will this ever happen?

How will that work with no front facing camera?
    09-20-11 06:32 AM
    I hope they add a feature to configure the tabs because that was a major selling point for me, having all the apps auto arranged is awesome but having to manually put them into folders just seems very 1980's, use F-ing metadata people we are in the 21st century i shouldn't have to put my games into a games folder or my media into a media folder it should just happen like it does now. But if you like it in folders instead of tabs then there should be a setting for that too but please rim don't make major UI changes without making a way to set it back to the "classic" look.

That's just my opinion : )
    They made that option available on the phones so I don't see why they wouldn't on the PB as well. I guess we'll have to see, but I don't think RIM would remove the tabs feature completely.

I hope they added the handsfree/headset bluetooth profile as well. I want to be able to use my PB to answer a call, not just see a phone number.
    09-20-11 06:36 AM
  25. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    2.0 is going to be epic!!!
    09-20-11 06:36 AM
198 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD