why would RIM want to dumb down the QNX? changing the layout to iPad layout will only confirm that this is an iPad wannabe and copying the folder creation method of the iOS is just not cool

IMO...i think the tab layout is awesome especially if they make it possible for user to create new tab or rename existing tabs as they see fit
    Yeah, it is not a good move... remember the Apple and Samsung's patent infringement catfight?...
    09-17-11 06:49 AM
    Yeah, it is not a good move... remember the Apple and Samsung's patent infringement catfight?...
    Folders on the main UI have been around since Windows and OS/2. The fruit company hasn't got a hope of patenting that one.

For the OP, Thanks!!!! I'd be interesting in your impressions of its speed, stability and polish. Sounds like they may make October yet.

As for the turkeys suggesting the OP publish his/her real name... Are you STUPID? Way to shut down a source. The OP has hundreds of posts so isn't likely a plant.
    09-17-11 07:02 AM
    Yay, whoopie, lotsa bling. Did they fix the keyboard?
    09-17-11 07:19 AM
    Just tried out the latest build tonight, looks epic! No more tabs, everything is as Kevin predicted, laid out as iOS. You hold over an icon to move it/drag it onto another to create a folder. Android marketplace is no longer a separate icon, but rather built into App world, it takes a special code to pull them up. Oh, and contrary to what I said before, you can now add any BBM pin to the *NATIVE* BBM app! Not just Playbook to Playbook, so I'm glad someone was listening.

Can't wait for this update!
    It seems that the Android Player is fully integrated and that is a hugely good thing. Did you play with any "demanding" android Apps like games? I am curious if RIM added an Open GL driver to the Android Player.
    09-17-11 07:27 AM
    Sorry everyone, I don't have it on my PlayBook myself. As I put it in a post for another 2.0 thread, I just have some great contacts at RIM.

As I said, there's nothing really revolutionary in the styling. You find the email, calendar, and BBM apps all just mixed in with the rest of the apps. No indication of a separate Java application or anything like that.

Bridge is definitely still there and has all the features that we're used to, just includes these native apps now.

Speed was on par with the current OS and it didn't seem very buggy. But I think the reason for the delay is that they're still trying to decide 100% on features. This latest build, for example, had the android apps built into the regular app world. You type "SEVL" or something like that when you're in app world and it shows all the android apps. And in this build BBM included the ability to add phone pins, the last build was playbook to playbook only.

Another tidbit, for those of you with OS7 phones, you'll be waiting till December/January for hotspot ability (7.1). They're just testing it now.

Sorry for no pics or video but again, I only got to take a quick look through the features and I unfortunately do not have it on mine.
    wxman123, Matt J, mtint and 31 others like this.
    09-17-11 07:28 AM
    As a user with both an iPad2 and a PlayBook, the lack of folders is the thing that annoys me the most about the PlayBook. I don't mind the tabs, but I'd like the option to configure them ala OS 7.
    You must mean a la OS 4.5! Why they didn't include this is unbeliveable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-11 07:43 AM
    I don't want iOS like layout. I like the tabs, just would like to be able to customize the names and add/delete tabs. iPads were the same price and if I wanted one I would have bought one. I don't need a QNX clone of iOS. They should allow some customizations of the ui to enable or disable the tabs.
    09-17-11 07:49 AM
    What about the autotext?
    09-17-11 08:36 AM
    ...you can now add any BBM pin to the *NATIVE* BBM app! Not just Playbook to Playbook, so I'm glad someone was listening.
    Can you link a handset PIN (your own) to the PB? Or, do you always need to bridge to get your handset BBMs forwarded?
    09-17-11 08:56 AM
    when is comicon, i mean devcon? if we're not getting 2.0 until after that ... i would like to know when it is. i need to speak to my RIM contacts to see if theyre willing to validate these rumers.
    09-17-11 09:04 AM
    Were there any android apps listed in app world?

09-17-11 09:17 AM
    What about the autotext?
    RIM: "Yes, what about the the autotext?"
    09-17-11 09:18 AM
    My question is.. Will there be Nook, Kindle and Netflix apps? Even if it is through the Android app, that is fine with me.

What about the keyboard? Is there better editing features..?
    09-17-11 10:15 AM
    What about the autotext?
    Yep what about this and auto caps as i really dont like typing on the playbook at the moment due to the lack of auto caps and auto correct.

How RIM got away with this glaring omission is truly beyond me in all honesty...i mean is it any wonder sales of the pb have been crap compared to the ipad lol.#

But OP does the 2.0 update include these features or not??...if not then im seriously considering getting rid of the pb and getting an ipad as i just cant bring myself to type on the damn thing anymore...shame as i still love my pb.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-17-11 10:17 AM
    Give the OP a break. I think he has enlightened us enough.
    09-17-11 10:55 AM
    Give the OP a break. I think he has enlightened us enough.
    Haha thanks bud, it was a treat for me to see and I just wanted to pass on a bit of hope for everyone. Its all good changes and unfortunately I didn't get to look at all of the small details you are all asking about.

Oh! Still can't re-arrange browser bookmarks though I wasn't impressed with that.

The keyboard looked identical... didn't get into much typing.

Just think, only about a month away! I for one can't wait.
    09-17-11 11:55 AM
    Haha thanks bud, it was a treat for me to see and I just wanted to pass on a bit of hope for everyone. Its all good changes and unfortunately I didn't get to look at all of the small details you are all asking about.

Oh! Still can't re-arrange browser bookmarks though I wasn't impressed with that.

Thanx for all the info, but I would be shocked if we saw this before November, I'll just take a stab in the dark with no inside info and no facts to back it up and say we will see 2.0 in about 6 weeks on our Playbooks. At least I hope so?
    09-17-11 12:13 PM
    In - some - strange way, I, I believe Kb2755
    09-17-11 12:20 PM

Thank you so much for the insight. I can't wait.

As for the BB7 update, it's interesting you mention 7.1. Hopefully we see other goodies besides just hotspot. I'm not down for spending an extra $10-20 a month for this feature. But for those that are great for them.
    09-17-11 12:23 PM
    Sounds good OP! Thanks for the insight. Can't wait to get v2.0 on my pb - the added features sound awesome. My fingers are crossed for silverlight support

backstage likes this.
    09-17-11 12:34 PM
    In - some - strange way, I, I believe Kb2755
    Ya me as well. The only thing I find strange is the references to native bbm, as Mike didn't mention it in his portion of the Q2 call. Mind ya, that just might be Mike... I wouldn't put it past him to forget to mention RIM's #1 feature!!

09-17-11 12:37 PM
    Freaking awesome news. I can't wait for the drum roll at DevCon and the release of this OS.
    09-17-11 01:41 PM
    If autotext and custom dictionary and auto cap isn't included someone needs to march over there and slap the co-ceos. With that said KB ypu have me excited. I too hope they keep tabs or make them optional.

Might I add universal search.
    Last edited by LuayS; 09-17-11 at 02:24 PM.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    09-17-11 02:16 PM
    If autotext and custom dictionary and auto cap isn't included someone needs to march over there and slap the co-ceos. With that said KB ypu have me excited. I too hope they keep tabs or make them optional.
    I must be dense this afternoon, but where do you need auto cap except for emails and such, which are bridged and currently do auto cap?
    09-17-11 02:57 PM
    People keep talking about native BBM on a wifi PB, not sure where it is coming from but I've still yet to hear anything official about it happening. At the earnings call they covered the 2.0 update and never once mentioned native BBM. Which seems kind of crazy to me. BBM is one of the best things RIM has. If they were gonna give it to the PB without Bridge wouldn't they have said so?

For months now I've been saying that native BBM on a wifi PB is very unlikely. After the earnings call I have even more doubts. It don't even make sense why they would do that. Why give all BB + PB owners two BBM accounts to mange? Or why give all BB owners a way to keep BBM without paying for BIS or BES?

I wont believe it till I see it on my PB.
    09-17-11 03:19 PM
198 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD