09-22-12 01:00 PM
27 12
tools
    I too have bought a discounted 64gb playbook from Currys for 129 .... and I am very very pleased with it.
    Add me to that list.

I'm still getting to grips with it (and asking some stupid question of the very patient people here).

But in a nutshell.

I'm an Android fanboi (have been since 1.5) - but 129 for a 64Gb device with flash and good build quality compared with 189 for the Nexus 7 (16Gb) was an easy choice. The moment I held a PB in my hand in-store and compared it to the Nexus I was convinced. Widgets might be nice - but I love the PB interface

I'm not anti Apple - I use an iPod (a classic from before they were called Classics) but I don't want a 10" device in something that - for me at least - is mainly for casual browsing and media use when sitting in front of the telly. If I wanted something that big and powerful I'd use a laptop. Moreover the price !!!!. For that money I could buy a very decent laptop.

My wife even bought one a week later - and if you knew her you'd knew what a big deal that is. To be fair she is a BB user and loves controlling the device with Bridge.

It plays Carcassonne, handles flash with aplomb, is fast enough, works well with media - my issues with it are minor (and probably surmountable when I'm more familiar with it).

What's not to like as they say.
    09-21-12 03:08 AM
    Looks like I rubbed some people up the wrong way, that said, I've reread my original post and It wasn't the most polite. Apologies to anyone I offended.

So, a few days later, and I've got to say that I'm warming to the Playbook, although still more for consuming media. From a value for money point of view it really can't be faulted - I'm still quite sad that there is no native kindle app, looks like I'm going to have to read up on how to sideload? one. And a fiver for Angry Birds? No way, tut tut Rovio.

I've found I carry it a lot more than I used to carry my iPad (which had a balcony related impact incident, hence the new tablet) - to be fair, it did carve a fair chunk out of the concrete it hit, so there is a define bonus to the 7" format.

I've had Blackberries on and off for years, so I'm not getting my hopes up around this BB10 malarky and what it will or won't do for the PB, but file sharing over bluetooth would be a treat - I couldn't believe that this wouldn't work. Wifi sharing is a great feature, but not when you want to fire a pic to a dumbphone. Nevermind, you can't have everything.

So, still happy with my purchase -
    kozmo68 likes this.
    09-22-12 01:00 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD