Two days ago, I bought an iGrip car mount, the headrest one, at Shop CrackBerry (was at 50% off on the US website... regular price on the canadian version... and I'm in Canada). Was shipped and arrived within 24 hours, the fastest business I've done on the internet so far, thumbs up for shop crackberry on the fast processing.

Tonight, just got it installed on my dash (I didn't mean to install it on the headrest, but if I ever need to, it was meant for a headrest install). It's great as my passenger can control the music, watch a movie, surf the internet....... and the light of the screen doesn't distract me as it's on the right side. Here's the picture.
    SubXO, f1mx and whobussyu like this.
    11-11-11 10:09 PM
    Very cool! I will certainly consider one myself. Thanks!
    11-12-11 04:42 AM
    I got one for my Torch it works great, does this allow any map/nav googlemaps etc to work on the PB whilst driving.

the reason I ask is that I do a bit of off road driving and Geocaching and normal satnavs are lacking when off the beaten track.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-11 05:06 AM
    I have had my iGrip for about 4 months now and I love it, but be careful where you mount it on the dash, because of the airbag deployment could make it a dangerous projectile.
    11-12-11 06:36 AM
    I got one for my Torch it works great, does this allow any map/nav googlemaps etc to work on the PB whilst driving.

the reason I ask is that I do a bit of off road driving and Geocaching and normal satnavs are lacking when off the beaten track.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Currently, the gps apps have generally needed wifi (maybe bridge) access. So, "off road" meaning remote locations might not get any mapping detail. In addition, I'm not aware of topo maps that you might need for back-country driving areas.

I have not been able to use googlemaps and others have problems, too. You open the website and then it stalls with a "Loading" prompt. You cannot pan or pinch/zoom the maps. Had the same problem with mapquest. And currently, there are no apps that support spoken gps directions.
    11-12-11 09:16 AM
    Hope you never have a passenger in there if the airbags deploy
    11-12-11 09:57 AM
    @jenkitp : Thank you for the tip, it's something that can be dangerous. This might be a problem if the PlayBook is in portrait mode, as it will be higher than the top of the dash, where the airbag is. In landscape mode, it is aligned with the storage space available, so it shouldn't be a matter.

@roman-soldier : Unfortunately, no. And even if Google Maps could work (let's say by Feb. 12 with the Android app player), it's kind of a deal breaker that it doesn't have offline maps. I'm looking forward to the day where I'm leaving my TomTom at home and using only one device, but I don't see this day coming soon... they've been saying "soon" to the Android version of a TomTom app for almost two years, so I don't see a native BlackBerry version anytime soon. Hopefully, a competitor will offer us an alternative.

@jamesharmeling : If you plan to mount it on the front of your car, you might consider buying the windshield mount. I bought the headrest one before I knew I could fit the mount where I wanted it to be, but it might be difficult to mount the headrest mount anywhere else than the headrest or a tight space (so it gets stuck as I did, tightening the screws to keep it steady).
    11-12-11 10:03 AM
    Two days ago, I bought an iGrip car mount, the headrest one, at Shop CrackBerry (was at 50% off on the US website... regular price on the canadian version... and I'm in Canada). Was shipped and arrived within 24 hours, the fastest business I've done on the internet so far, thumbs up for shop crackberry on the fast processing.

Tonight, just got it installed on my dash (I didn't mean to install it on the headrest, but if I ever need to, it was meant for a headrest install). It's great as my passenger can control the music, watch a movie, surf the internet....... and the light of the screen doesn't distract me as it's on the right side. Here's the picture.
    was wondering did u get it professionally installed in the dash or did it urself...kindly give a walkthrough if done by you... thanks.
    11-12-11 10:07 AM
    was wondering did u get it professionally installed in the dash or did it urself...kindly give a walkthrough if done by you... thanks.
    I've installed it myself. I'll try to get some more pictures in order to show how I got it stuck in there as I had to remove a screw from the mount and put it backward. The stand can move from left to right as it's not screwed anywhere and the storage space available in my dash has this /_| shape so it's easy to mount it tight so it doesn't fall.
    11-12-11 11:00 AM
    I'll be doing that with the windshield mount. I think it'll be great. I'm going to run the 8mm jack into the car's aux input so I'll music control on there. Very excited.
    11-12-11 11:15 AM
    ... I'll try to get some more pictures in order to show how I got it stuck in there ...
    That would be greatly appreciated. I think you did a nice job making it look clean. I'm contemplating doing the same in my truck, but thinking the windshield one would be much much easier. I just don't like the look of the windshield mounted ones, they are very obtrusive.

edit -
    One other question - Is it possible to charge the Playbook off the cigarette lighter like your phone? I have a "cigarette lighter to usb" adapter for my phone charger, wondering if that might charge the Playbook too.
    Last edited by TerribleTim68; 11-14-11 at 01:21 PM.
    11-14-11 01:19 PM
    that's pretty cool, and from the picture it seems like a clean install.

kudos
    11-14-11 02:07 PM
    really nice but what good is it if its on the passenger side? does it come outward towards u?
    11-14-11 02:26 PM
    @tommynap01 : As installed in my car, the mount doesn't come outward or toward us, it can only switch from portrait to landscape mode. Even if it was originally meant to move, I had to use the moving part to install it safely, to get the mount to stuck in there, without any screws or glue.

@TerribleTim68 : I'll get the pictures tomorrow, I just came home today. As I have a Jeep Patriot, mounting it on the windshield was pretty useless (the windshield is as far as it needs to be...) and would be obtrusive. About the charging, I don't have a cigarette lighter charger so I didn't try and don't know if there's enough juice coming out of it. And my Jeep has an AC outlet, so I always use my regular chargers when I need to, so it isn't a problem for me.
    11-15-11 12:32 AM
    Some more pictures... taken from my 9800, hope quality will be good enough.

Edit : two pictures are downward (the pictures where the back of the mount), sorry about that, I thought the Torch was taking them depending of screen orientation. Seems like it's not the case...
    Last edited by Artwerks; 11-15-11 at 05:03 PM.
    11-15-11 05:01 PM
    I think CSI could check your finger prints out with that first picture!

Nice job.
    11-15-11 06:54 PM
    Both pictures from the back of the mount, rotated...

@F2 : I just saw the pictures on my computer... wow, I'm going to clean it up right now!
    11-15-11 07:13 PM
    great and neatly done
    11-15-11 08:28 PM
    I was kidding. It really is hard to get rid of the greasy smudges and certain light makes it even worse. I can just picture one of those GERM commercials about surfaces with, well, germs!!!!
    11-15-11 09:03 PM
    very nice!!!! i have similar in my vehicle... used a ram mount for mine, only downside was a ball needed to be screwed to the dash, but if you can find a good area to mount it its a real solid mount with the ability to adjust the angle, height etc. gps central here in calgary had all the required parts. i had origninally purchased the igrip mount as well, but i didnt like how difficult it was to remove from the case. so i modified it as well to accept the "ball" from the ram mount accesories so i can still use the head rest mount for the kids
    Last edited by clowrym; 11-15-11 at 11:27 PM. Reason: attached the wrong picture....
    Artwerks likes this.
    11-15-11 11:24 PM

@Artwerks
    I wont lie you've inspired to complete work on my custom mount TONIGHT!

Mission accomplished

The attached image is a sneak peak of my setup.
    It is positioned slightly infront & to the left of my Pioneer Head Unit (Right Hand Drive Vehicle).
    It comprises components sourced here & there:
    1. 2nd OtterBox Defender for Cover/Stand (used as base for PlayBook) - USD$39.71 (Amazon)
    2. Alien Bees Zeus Mounting Block & "L" Bracket (Paul C. Buff - Zeus Standard Flash Head) - USD$20.00
    3. JottoDesk Seat Rail Mount Base Plate Rod - 0.00 (Acquired from a friend)
    4. Misc - 4 Screws, 4 Nuts, 8 Washers & "custom" metal plate (for inner area of "OtterBox Base"). - USD$10.00

I'm aware that all the components end costing more than a "Retail Unit". The fact is, I just really felt like "building" the thing.
    I took it for a road test. I'm very happy. This thing is Solid.

I intend to make adjustments to the backlight so it goes out quickly.
    I also plan on making a hood for better viewing in daytime.

*More images coming soon.*
    Last edited by whobussyu; 11-16-11 at 04:58 PM. Reason: New images
    Artwerks likes this.
    11-16-11 12:01 AM
    real nice dawg!!! do u think u can mount it on your windshield and take a pic...i wanna buy one and i wanna see how it looks...please!!!!!
    11-16-11 12:14 AM
    Currently, the gps apps have generally needed wifi (maybe bridge) access. So, "off road" meaning remote locations might not get any mapping detail. In addition, I'm not aware of topo maps that you might need for back-country driving areas.

I have not been able to use googlemaps and others have problems, too. You open the website and then it stalls with a "Loading" prompt. You cannot pan or pinch/zoom the maps. Had the same problem with mapquest. And currently, there are no apps that support spoken gps directions.
    Have you tried the newest release of BlackBerry Traffic Beta? It features spoken turn-by-turn directions.
    11-17-11 08:04 AM
    Have you tried the newest release of BlackBerry Traffic Beta? It features spoken turn-by-turn directions.
    Is this a Playbook variant or do you mean on a bb phone?
    11-17-11 09:15 AM
    Is this a Playbook variant or do you mean on a bb phone?
    he is talking about the BB phone version

This is what has me to believe that turn by turn BB Maps is coming to the Playbook in the OS2 update.

1) QNX has been in the automotive industry for many, many years so it only makes sense

2) BB Traffic now has turn by turn directions (and it works great too might i add) so we know RIM has the tech to do it

3) In the Beta survey RIM did on their website, they were discussing features users wanted to come to the Playbook and BB Maps, both online and offline were on the survey

i will purchase one of these mounts as soon as i get some mapping software that has a offline mapping option. Using the Playbook as a full blown navigation tool would be absolutely ridiculous. Killing two birds with one stone lol
    11-17-11 10:57 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD