Hi all, my first post yay! Anyway I have a playbook 16gb, bought it last year and it was working fine until about a couple of months ago. It would mysteriously open apps by itself while in the slip on sleeve while in my bag, then the screen would stop responding. This grew worse and worse, sometimes i would be able to swipe to wake up the playbook but then the screen would become unresponsive and I'd have to toggle between pressing the power button and re-swiping a few times until it worked, and then sometimes I'd have to do a hard reset. Eventually it got to the point where I had to reinstall the software to get it to work for a little while (using BB desktop software and upgrade option when I plugged into pc) but the screen would stop responding after about an hour if I left it alone. Then along came the new update to 2.1 which I thought might solve the problem, unfortunately this killed it. Applying the update I would end up at the language selection screen but the touchscreen wouldn't respond. After a couple of tries I gave in and called blackberry UK. After a long call in which I had to go through the process of trying to restore the playbook and then upgrading it to 2.1 the nice lady on the phone sorted out an extra 90 days warranty and organised a RMA collection. They collected my playbook on the 8th and I got a replacement today, so that was a really quick turnaround. My new playbook has the same serial number, but its definately a different one as mine had scratches on the case and screen. Also the upgrade to 2.1 was only 24 mb and really quick.
    So in summary, don't be worried about your warranty expired after your initial 90 days, call blackberry support and they will try to help you as much as they can. This is only the second time I've had such excellent service from any company and even though their product may be slightly lacking I cannot fault their customer support.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-10-12 03:06 AM
    If it`s same serial number maybe they kept the internals and replaced the shell and screen.
    10-10-12 03:11 AM
    Nice, positive story. Now you have a "new" Playbook to enjoy.
    As djenkins6 said, they must have replaced the insides if you have the same serial number.
    10-10-12 03:38 AM
    Nice post, thanks for hanging in there.
    10-10-12 08:32 AM
    And welcome to the forums.
    10-10-12 08:55 AM
    thanks I was so annoyed and was going to get a kindle fire because I use the playbook mainly as an ereader, but I thought I might as well give it a try and call them before I waste another 100+ pounds on a new product.
    10-11-12 04:44 PM
    Love positive stories like this. I've heard good things about RIM's customer service and glad it worked out so well for you. Enjoy and welcome!
    10-11-12 05:21 PM