Jus got a playbook thinking they were updating software to bb10 know I'm hearing they will release a new playbook. Will they release and update for the current one or will they just release a new one or will they just update the current one with bb10 what do you guys think?
    01-26-13 12:48 PM
    Doubtful for a new PlayBook to be announced on Wednesday, however I expect some small information about an update for the current PlayBook to get BlackBerry 10. I doubt we will hear a for sure date, but just a little we are working on it, and it will be released soon.
    anthonysira likes this.
    01-26-13 12:52 PM
    In all likelihood, we will see a new BB10 tablet at some point this year, but it has been confirmed a number of times that the PlayBook will be upgraded to BB10, there's no doubt about that. However, the new tablet certainly isn't "pulling an Apple", as the PlayBook has been around for nearly two years now.
    01-26-13 12:53 PM
    In all likelihood, we will see a new BB10 tablet at some point this year, but it has been confirmed a number of times that the PlayBook will be upgraded to BB10, there's no doubt about that. However, the new tablet certainly isn't "pulling an Apple", as the PlayBook has been around for nearly two years now.
    ^^ THIS ^^

/end thread.
    anthonysira likes this.
    01-26-13 01:08 PM
    Let's be realistic here, the wifi PB has been released for almost 2 years without a hardware upgrade at all. They have 2 choices when moving forward, discontinue the PB, or release a new PB. My money is on the latter.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-26-13 01:59 PM
    The road map suggested a new ten inch PlayBook in Q3. Everything has been on point so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Just got a playbook are they pulling a apple and releasing a new one for bb10?-rim-planning-4g-playbook-ten-inch-tablet-1.jpg  
    juacas likes this.
    01-26-13 02:03 PM
    The road map suggested a new ten inch PlayBook in Q3. Everything has been on point so far.
    Road maps can change. I don't think they're going to release a 10" PB, it just doesn't make sense to me. Consumers don't want something that large, the sentiment is shifting to 7-8" devices. That's mostly my personal opinion, and if I'm wrong I'll be more then happy to admit it. We'll see soon.
    01-26-13 02:16 PM
    I think a new playbook is on the cards but the present one will still be getting the new OS upgrade. Last rumour was that it will have a duel core. 1.5 mhtz processor and 2gb of RAM. We should hear something on Wednesday.
    01-26-13 02:17 PM
    To be honest, the very fact that RIM are still supporting the Playbook and releasing updates is pretty excellent, especially since it has generally been less of a success as they would have hoped. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them releasing a new tablet after about two and a half years!
    01-26-13 03:14 PM
    Speaking purely for myself here...

I have a 7" PB and a 10" TouchPad. I use my PB the most because it's running QNX and is alive and kicking. The sound is better, has more (and better) apps, it is faster, blah, blah, blah...just a way better machine. That said, if my 10" tablet was a RIM device and not a defunct HP device, I would use my 10" tablet WAY more than the 7" one. It is such a strange UI experience going from the smaller device to the bigger one. I mean, the larger device is so much easier to use. Browsing the web on it is more natural. Holding it is more comfortable (more area to grasp). It is definitely heavier but both of these tablets are fatso's. The smaller one is more portable but the larger one is just a better overall user experience. So I'd have to say that a LOT of customers will want the larger tablet.

-----ASIDE-----
    An interesting and non related point is that the HP TouchPad's battery lasts much longer than the PlayBook does when browsing the web. I have tried to keep the brightness levels of the screen similar and used the same pages to browse and the PB's battery dies noticeably faster (and it's a much newer device in my possession). The battery on the TouchPad is obviously much bigger but in relation to the larger screen, I would imagine some similarities in discharge rates according to screen size. I don't know...that's not scientific at all, but you can definitely tell a difference.
    anon(4297019) likes this.
    01-26-13 03:31 PM
    If they were into pulling apples, we'd already be on the 4th version of the PlayBook by now.......
    anthonysira likes this.
    01-26-13 03:45 PM
    ...I expect some small information about an update for the current PlayBook to get BlackBerry 10. I doubt we will hear a for sure date... it will be released soon.
    The infamous phrase "it will be released soon" effectively killed any credibility Research In Motion still maintained in early 2011, however, this is 2013 and their credibility is "sufficiently close to zero" as my high school calculus teacher said. We need a definite date for BlackBerry OS 10 on the current BlackBerry PlayBook. If it is as poor performance-wise as BlackBerry OS 6 on a BlackBerry 5 smartphone (eg. Bold 9700). And we need a clear roadmap for BlackBerry smartphones and tablets. Only 4 days until the BlackBerry Bag-o-magic is untied and we get a peek inside.
    01-26-13 03:46 PM
    To be honest, the very fact that RIM are still supporting the Playbook and releasing updates is pretty excellent, especially since it has generally been less of a success as they would have hoped. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them releasing a new tablet after about two and a half years!
    If RIM had dropped support for the WiFi BlackBerry PlayBook released April 2011, there would have been an uprising the likes of which would put terror into the senior management suite in Waterloo. The stock price would have hit penny-stock status and customers would have abandoned BlackBerry as they interpreted the move as the death knell. The BlackBerry PlayBook could have been the greatest product launch opportunity for Research In Motion; instead they stumbled, fumbled, and dropped the ball repeatedly.
    01-26-13 03:53 PM
    If RIM had dropped support for the WiFi BlackBerry PlayBook released April 2011, there would have been an uprising the likes of which would put terror into the senior management suite in Waterloo. The stock price would have hit penny-stock status and customers would have abandoned BlackBerry as they interpreted the move as the death knell. The BlackBerry PlayBook could have been the greatest product launch opportunity for Research In Motion; instead they stumbled, fumbled, and dropped the ball repeatedly.
    Thanks, but I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with (are you disagreeing?). The number of other manufacturers who would be committed to providing such a massive free update to what is effectively a long obsolete product... I'm certain you could count on one hand. Regardless of RIM's reasons, I think it's pretty great for us. The 2.0 update may have been owed given the Playbook's initial shortcomings, but I don't think the same can be said for BB10...
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 05:15 PM
    I am one of those that is perfectly happy with my two playbook. Does what I want. Don't. Need the latest and greatest. I never used millennium or Vista and was perfectly happy with Storm 2 until my contract ended. I will stay with the PB until I decide it no longer works for me, much as the Lifedrive it replaced. I will also use the PB to test OS 10 to see I will suffer the restrictions of a contract again.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 11:32 PM
    Road maps can change. I don't think they're going to release a 10" PB, it just doesn't make sense to me. Consumers don't want something that large, the sentiment is shifting to 7-8" devices. That's mostly my personal opinion, and if I'm wrong I'll be more then happy to admit it. We'll see soon.
    I can bench quite a bit, but I cant imagine how much bigger my arms would have to get to be able to lift a 10 inch Playbook!
    01-27-13 04:35 AM
    I remember seeing pics of a large playbook last autumn on here. Why should we not think that work carried on and sill be announced?
    01-27-13 06:50 AM