First up hello everybody, after weeks of thinking about it decided to impulse buy a playbook on my way home fromwork and so far am loving it.

The problem is i can't get Android Player to work, i have read the guides followed the videos and sadly nothing. I have resorted to trying 2 way of installing apps and both work for everything i tried but Android Player.

The app loads for about 30 seconds then just closes.

Does anybody have any tips or suggestions as after 4 hours i am at a loose end.

Thanks

Mole
    01-04-12 05:20 PM
    What OS are you on?
    Top swipe down -> About -> OS

2.0.0.6149 is the latest developer beta that has the Android Player baked in...
    01-04-12 05:24 PM
    are you running apps that are verified working?
    01-04-12 05:24 PM
    Thanks for the reply i am running 1.0.8.6067

When i turned the device on it asked me to upgrade to the latest fw which i assumed it did.
    01-04-12 05:32 PM
    If you want to try the developer beta, you will have to register your PB PIN
    on this site

here

Your PIN is located in About -> Hardware.

See threads regarding running Android apps...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f258/
    01-04-12 05:39 PM
    Cheers so with the latest update i can load .apk files without having to install anything apart from the apk i want to load?
    01-04-12 05:49 PM
    Cheers so with the latest update i can load .apk files without having to install anything apart from the apk i want to load?
    No. You will still need to load .bar files.
    you can convert .apk files to .bar files.
    Look over the list that is floating around for working Android apps.

PlayBook BARs
    01-04-12 05:52 PM
    android player will not work on 1.0.8. You will need to install the beta OS mentioned 2 posts up
    01-04-12 09:08 PM
    android player will not work on 1.0.8. You will need to install the beta OS mentioned 2 posts up
    But don't expect everything to work right. It's a developer release. Requests for help should be prefaced with "I am using 2.0." Thanks
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    01-04-12 09:18 PM
    When you do get on the Beta, do not install the Android player. The Android player is part of the Beta and installing the old leaked Android player will break Android access in the Beta.
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-04-12 at 09:33 PM.
    01-04-12 09:29 PM
    Dear Mod Howarmat (g)

Is there a way to alter any of those original Android threads that WERE applicable to the earlier OS 1.x but no longer work. A CAUTION - this no longer works in flashing red.

This is not the first thread where someone has installed the old Android player in OS 1.y and found it does not work.
    01-04-12 09:54 PM
    it would not be done easily other than having BJ add it to his thread that is stickied maybe. Assuming people actually read the stickies this issue would be less then
    01-04-12 10:39 PM
    Thanks for all the advice and tips guys.

A couple more questions if you don't mind....

I have now upgraded to 2.0 but the OS looks very ugly compared to the 1.8 version, any way i can make it looks like the 1.8 version? Plan on showing my mates at work tomorrow who will take one look at it and murmer something about it not being an ipad if the OS looks like it does in 2.0. Or if not looking better than it does at the moment.

The whole reason for me to get the update was to get Android player to work so i could install Android Market. However advice above has told me not to install Android Player as it is built in to 2.0, so how do i use the Android player feature? I have seen youtube videos of people using the functionality through Android Player but not through version 2.0

Thanks again
    01-05-12 11:12 AM
    There is a forum dedicated to android apps.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f258/

OS2 uses folders instead of tabs. Drag one icon on top of another to create a folder. Drag an icon off the screen to the right to add another pane. You can also put some icons into the dock on the top.
    01-05-12 11:44 AM
    There was a brief window when the android player worked in OS 1.0x, but the functionality was lost on one of the last few OS updates (can't recall which one off the top of my head).

OS 2 is only a developer beta, don't expect it to look or function like the latest official release.
    01-05-12 11:46 AM
    Ah any way to get back to the official release or is that not a good idea?
    01-05-12 01:14 PM
    Ah any way to get back to the official release or is that not a good idea?
    You need to wait at least 24hrs since you put your PIN in for the Beta and then do the debrick method to go back to 1.08. The instructions for it are on the Blackberry OS beta sign up page, but they are basically the debrick instructions.
    01-05-12 01:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD