Found a new 64GB PlayBook sealed in its box at a CeX store here in the UK. Parted with my cash and finally got my hands on my Z10's new companion. I had been looking for a new one for bloody ages!

I have to say, I can't see why it got slated? Its very sturdy, and the interface and software is nice to use. You can see where the BB10 OS got it's ideas from. The software is like my Z10, but you can tell it's a little older on the PB.

In short, I'm happy with my new toy. Bridge works pretty well, and once I get my music on it, we're all good...

In the meantime, can someone help us with these 2 niggles:
    - Can I use WhatsApp on this somehow? Maybe borrow the phones version over Bridge or something?
    - I need a YouTube Player / Downloader recommendation

Other than that, this is the 2nd most under rated device I own and am so happy to have one. There is plenty of life left in a PB in 2014.

Awesome Z10 on 4G EE. BBM 2B80D5C2 or Tweet @geekl33tgamer :-)
    03-06-14 09:39 AM
    Have fun. The playbook is a great tabby, as long as you're not expect time too much from it.

I use mine for watching movies on my TV. I plug in the playbook via hdmi and bridge my Z10 to it and use my phone as the remote. Works great.

I also use it for music as the speakers are pretty dam awesome!

Sorry I can't help you with your two questions. I'm not familiar with either one.

Z10 10.2.1.1925
    03-06-14 09:46 AM
    Glad you were able to finally find one. The PlayBook ended because too many things were happening, and they needed to streamline their focus to survival. Unfortunately, decisions and compromises were made when they designed and spec'ed the device from the start. It doesn't make it a bad device at all, but a couple of right decisions would have paid off in the long run.
    Carl Estes and geekl33tgamer like this.
    03-06-14 09:49 AM
    - Can I use WhatsApp on this somehow? Maybe borrow the phones version over Bridge or something?
    There are apps that you can sideload. There is a whole forum for sideloading and you can get the converted bar files from goodereader.com. I don't use whatsapp so I don't know if they have that but they do have youtube downloader apps.

You can also try Stereotube in appworld, it is a nice app and used to allow downloading of vids. Not sure now as I haven't used it in some time.
    geekl33tgamer likes this.
    03-06-14 09:59 AM
    For what I intend to use this for, it will be fine (music and video, locally stored). Bridge is handy with the phone when I'm being lazy, so love that.

Thanks for the tips all, once it's finished installing OS 2.1.0.1753 (I assume this is the most up to date / final release of PB OS?) I'm hitting up some of those apps and suggestions - thanks all. :-)

Shamefully, to feedback on the earlier posts - I wanted a PB at launch some 2.5 years back. I couldn't justify it's 400 GBP price tag then, and we all know it's fate (and price) months after it come out.

Such a shame. Like everything RIM were doing back then, the PB arrived about a year late to the iPad party. Perhaps in a year or 2 we might get a new one...

Carl Estes likes this.
    03-06-14 10:12 AM
    WhatsApp can only be used on phones.

It's not available on ANY tablets. Not even iPads or Nexus 7/10.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    03-06-14 10:23 AM
    so how much did it cost you out of curiosity?

as a fellow newbie I'd say get to understand sideloading - not as hard as it sounds, use the chrome app to cut down on messing with cables and also map the tablet to send files via wifi. I understand sideloading is usefull for the z10 as well

you can bridge which I cant so enjoy that still working on getting an old pearl 9105 to connect to it.

there's a you tube app already and a downloader too IIRC. tons of games and apps to play with so enjoy it. it's not a nexus or a fire but its still a good little machine with plenty to make it worthwhile IMO. goodereader has been advised but do some research and see which apps will and wont work. some apps you can get on torrent or links on here if they are discontinued

whatsapp apparently worked under 2.0 but not 2.1 - I can get two versions of it started up, one tells me I need a cell network the other that my phone time and date are wrong. - haven't looked much further into it.

get a magnetic charger asap - I prefer the cable version over the stand one so you can keep it in its case. check ebay for otterbox for ballistics cases if like me you throw them about a lot. adds to the bulk and weight but its better than breaking the screen.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-06-14 11:03 AM
    03-06-14 11:03 AM
    Good for you OP enjoy it! I am using mine bridged with my Q10. RIM may have left the PlayBook for dead but we try to keep it going
    03-06-14 02:16 PM
    Found a new 64GB PlayBook sealed in its box at a CeX store here in the UK. Parted with my cash and finally got my hands on my Z10's new companion. I had been looking for a new one for bloody ages!

I have to say, I can't see why it got slated? Its very sturdy, and the interface and software is nice to use. You can see where the BB10 OS got it's ideas from. The software is like my Z10, but you can tell it's a little older on the PB.

In short, I'm happy with my new toy. Bridge works pretty well, and once I get my music on it, we're all good...

Other than that, this is the 2nd most under rated device I own and am so happy to have one. There is plenty of life left in a PB in 2014.

Better late than never
    LuanNguyen69 likes this.
    03-06-14 03:09 PM
    Tubemate works great for watching and/or downloading videos. It needs to be sideloaded, and the bar can be downloaded here- TubeMate YouTube Downloader 2.1.1 - Official Website
    geekl33tgamer likes this.
    03-06-14 03:36 PM
    StereoTube is now fully functional again. It's a great App! Enjoy your new PlayBook!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-06-14 03:58 PM
    Thanks for all the comments ppl, glad to know I'm not alone in using one of these - and also not alone in getting one recently.

To answer Dominic above, it was in CeX for 80 GBP. The box was still sealed, so seeing the big capacity one of these I wanted clearly never touched wasn't a tough decision. It's about 15-20 GBP more than they go on ebay for, but it's new, I was holding it and there wasn't any postage. It's also got a 1 year hardware warranty with the store, should it die.

I'm happy either way, and have been having a good play about with it. It's got so many UI and gesture similarities to BB10 its odd using it on the bigger screen! I'm all for sideloading as I did a lot of it with the Z10 when it was new - I assume the process is largely the same so I should be okay :-)

Only thing I've really got to grumble about is with Bridge Tethering - It says my phone is connected for messages, but then says it can't find it when I try to tether, despite the fact that it's online over Bridge Tether as I type. Weird, but if that's all I can moan about then I'm doing well!!!
    03-06-14 07:14 PM
    StereoTube is now fully functional again. It's a great App! Enjoy your new PlayBook!

Is that in BlackBerry World?
    03-06-14 07:16 PM
    If you mean just for viewing YouTube I just use YouTube from the browser, I can find everything I want as I log on with same username I use when on PC all my favorites history are there.
    03-06-14 11:53 PM
    You dont need to use tether....bridge includes 'tether'...this was a mistake I was making a few weeks ago when I got my z10....

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 03:41 AM
    You dont need to use tether....bridge includes 'tether'...this was a mistake I was making a few weeks ago when I got my z10....

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I worked that out eventually. It's weird though because I turned tethering off on the Z10, but with Bridge on I can still access the web over Bluetooth using the Z10's data plan. Is it supposed to do that, as I have a data limit on my 4G plan I need to keep in check at least...?
    03-07-14 01:09 PM

I'm not entirely happy with how that appears claims to allow downloading of the videos. It actually doesn't and just bumps you off to a website that is full of adverts and won't give you the download URL of any video I tried anyway...

...will see what the sideloaded TubeMate is like once I get back onto my PC...
    03-07-14 01:14 PM
    You can download with YTD and then transfer the files via Wifi from your PC on to your PlayBook. Do you know how to set up your PB as a wireless network share?
    03-07-14 07:19 PM
    You can download with YTD and then transfer the files via Wifi from your PC on to your PlayBook. Do you know how to set up your PB as a wireless network share?
    Uh, no? I have YTD on my MacBook. I would have transferred them via USB though, so how do I do this on WIFI?
    03-07-14 07:26 PM
    Go /connect to server at top in finder. Then type in....
    Cifs://....your playbook ip in here....eg. '192.168.0.11'

Playbook for username (on mine anyway). And your security password....should then mount onto your desktop.

There a guide on here recently about this....

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 02:32 AM
    03-09-14 11:37 AM
    WhatsApp can only be used on phones.

It's not available on ANY tablets. Not even iPads or Nexus 7/10.

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    It needs a frickin' phone number to connect. We'll, that's the drawback, if you rely on that mechanism for contacts.

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    03-09-14 06:13 PM