Like the title says. talk about getting an early Christmas present. Rather excited to receive it sometime next week.

Anything a newbie to the tablet world should know please feel free to advise. I'd love to know all the do's and don't. Already use a Torch 9860 so downloading blackberry bridge now in preparation.

Thanks.
    dave_h_946 and d.flex like this.
    11-03-12 05:39 AM
    I did the same 4 weeks ago, never looked back. Great with bridge
    anon3230140 likes this.
    11-03-12 05:44 AM
    Good job mate and enjoy it. I am also tempted to go for it and replace my 16GB one....the alternative is to buy the mini keyboard which is more or less at the same price. My only advice .... ENJOY IT as much as you can. It's a great tool and I use it everyday.
    anon3230140 likes this.
    11-03-12 05:45 AM
    As long as you don't RAGE QUIT cos it doesn't have Instagram (still don't understand why that app is in ANY way important) or Spotify like some I know that bought one, then you'll be fine with it.

It does all my email, has a grown up browser, calender, plays audio superbly, nice video and has some nice time wasting distraction games to boot.

The only short coming I find is no streaming app for the video on my NAS box. I get by though, life is so hard.
    anon3230140 and lewcat like this.
    11-03-12 05:53 AM
    Thanks guy's.. even getting more excited now with what ya'll just said about how good it is. Never been much of an app person and all that Instagram, Netflix, Skype etc moans and groans just never been my thing. As long as the communication functions are top notch and the web browsing and media playback experience is good... I'm good to go. I've found over time that even on my BB that supposedly has an appalling app count (i don't agree).. I've installed and uninstalled 105 apps to date. Only use a the key social networking apps and in all honesty, I can only play a game for so long. My Xbox sits at home almost redundant only ever used for DVD's. Even for functional apps like Tubemap etc that are for transport in London... I actually uninstalled them and instead just bookmarked the TFL mobile web page and that saves me MB's of space. Maybe I'm weeird but I just don't get the app craze. For Instagram type features I use PicMix which is really good too. There's always a substitute that works just as well. I have a Skype account I set up like 6 years ago but never used it.. instead I stick to Gmail or Hotmail Messenger web calling... I luv stuff being free.
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 11-03-12 at 10:37 AM.
    11-03-12 05:53 AM
    I purchased the Travel charger, much quicker and more robust; search amazon.
    anon3230140 likes this.
    11-03-12 06:11 AM
    I also bought a 64GB Playbook from Currys for �129. I have a Nexus 7 16GB too so the playbook is for my wife.
    Its mainly used for media and browsing the net so i'm not bothered too much about apps.
    The build quality is better than the nexus and that 64Gb will be handy when on holiday.

So far we are pleased with it and its a bargain at this price.
    anon3230140 likes this.
    11-03-12 08:15 AM
    and so say all of us. this is where I got mine from in august. also for the whatever happens policy for �32 for 3 years, whjch I think is a bargain as they have to provide like for like or higher value, regardless if smashed orwhatever. love my pb, just took it on hols and was fab, movies on plane and apartment, games, net access, camera, the works. my whole family love it and the support from cb makes it even better
    lewcat likes this.
    11-03-12 11:43 AM
    My advice to you would be to show your desktop some love while you also have the playbook.. my playbook handles 99 percent of my stuff now and my desktop computer has become very very lonely... oh well... what can i say, RIM made a pretty spectacular device!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-03-12 12:10 PM
    As long as you don't RAGE QUIT cos it doesn't have Instagram (still don't understand why that app is in ANY way important) or Spotify like some I know that bought one, then you'll be fine with it.

It does all my email, has a grown up browser, calender, plays audio superbly, nice video and has some nice time wasting distraction games to boot.

The only short coming I find is no streaming app for the video on my NAS box. I get by though, life is so hard.
    ES File Explorer can do streaming from an SMB NAS box
    11-03-12 01:29 PM
    I've done the same and now have a 64GB playbook. Passed my old 16GB model to my son. I would get a travel charger as well. I also have the Blackberry mini keyboard which is excellent.
    11-03-12 01:45 PM
    Got my 64gb as my main tablet and now my 16gb playbook is permanently hdmi cabled to the tv. Useful if I want to watch iplayer,4oD or HD YouTube clips on the tv. And I use my BlackBerry phone as the remote control. Simples.
    11-03-12 02:08 PM
    I went for the same deal and I also bought the insurance, which I usually avoid, but this one covers accidental and offers on the spot replacement for 3 years for �32.

I also bought one of these cases
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...bUvbUpU7710386

Great quality for the price and the stand is very handy

3X Clear LCD Screen Protector For BlackBerry Playbook: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Cheap and cheerful screen protectors

Good luck with the PB
    11-03-12 02:39 PM
    I bought the leather journal case for �17 with the PB from Currys, turned down their extra warranty.
    11-03-12 02:44 PM
    i was supposed to buy one today but the mother has imprisoned me inside the house cus i had my appendix taken out, really wanted to get one and have been wanting one for the past year, really can't wait to get it, just thinking how long it will be till pcworld/currys stop doing this deal/discontinue the product?

and is it really worth getting that extra warranty cus im really careful with my possessions, my past and current bbs are in immaculate condition...
    11-03-12 02:51 PM
    ok.. appearantly im stupid right now, but i can't find it anywhere on their page
    does pcworld ship to germany as well? (i would assume so?)

next question:
    if they indeed do ship to germany, i can just order one without worrying, right? since it's just wi-fi it shouldn't matter if i buy one here or over there, correct?
    am i right to assume that the only difference would be that it won't have a german manual, but instead an english-one?

edit: you all getting the "3 years replacement"-plan?
    11-03-12 02:54 PM
    Good for you. I did this in September and gave my 32GB PB to my wife.

I recommend the fast charging cradle.

One big challenge is choosing the right case.
    I am now using a Blackberry leather envelope case, which provides good protection without being bulky, unlike my original folio case.

Amazon UK is a good source for these accessories and mine are genuine BB at good prices.
    11-03-12 03:04 PM
    In hindsite wish I did get it now lol Seijuro- all should work fine!
    11-03-12 03:05 PM
    I find the Journal case adds little to the size of the PB, obvious it will be more bulkier regardless of which case. Like the style of the Journal case with BlackBerry Logo
    11-03-12 03:07 PM
    I find the Journal case adds little to the size of the PB, obvious it will be more bulkier regardless of which case. Like the style of the Journal case with BlackBerry Logo
    I found the journal case too heavy for my handbag once the PB was in there which is a shame because it looks the mutts especially in a professional context. I tend to use the bb silicone cover and the neoprene zip up case these days
    11-03-12 04:25 PM
    Snugg Blackberry Playbook Squared Skinny Fit Protective: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Got one of these for my PB.. Very robust , better than the official one
    11-04-12 03:12 AM
    I'm so glad I got the Otterbox defender case. It already has a scratch on the plastic screen protector. Man, I would be really sad if that had been my Playbook screen.
    11-04-12 04:44 AM
    Snugg Blackberry Playbook Squared Skinny Fit Protective: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Got one of these for my PB.. Very robust , better than the official one
    On seeing your post I have ordered one too. I bought the official Blackberry one and its a bit...hmmm ...well...slack?

Only annoyance with cases are it doesn't sit on the fast charger dock.
    malcymalc likes this.
    11-04-12 08:13 AM
    Good for you op, I paid 700 dollars day one for my 64 gig, no regrets!!
    11-04-12 05:03 PM
    Delivered yesterday and just updated to 2.1 as I type. Wish me luck.. I'm going in to the QNX world.
    BigwhiteUK and rexrim like this.
    11-08-12 04:26 AM
50 12