Hey all

I've just got my first tab, a 64gb PlayBook @ �129. I was in two minds as the Nexus was there at �199, looked brilliant but I thought I'd go with the PlayBook.

Now I've always had an iPhone so I'm used to these 'great' apps, but I read that it's possible to run android apps. I was wondering whether if it is achievable and if anyone has done so.

Thanks!
    08-26-12 09:12 AM
    Oh it's on offer at that price at all Dixon Group Stores, Dixons, PC World & Curry's!!
    08-26-12 09:13 AM
    You need to sideload Android Apps.

This page shows you how.
    donraj86 likes this.
    08-26-12 09:30 AM
    Hey all
    Now I've always had an iPhone so I'm used to these 'great' apps...
    Great apps? On a Playbook? Sorry dude, prepare for disappointment...
    At least you'll have plenty of storage for media.
    bdegrande likes this.
    08-26-12 10:01 AM
    You need to sideload Android Apps.

This page shows you how.
    Ok thanks. I'm having wireless issues, but a serious issue i'm having is the PB is trying to automatically update to the latest firmware. Do sideload apps do I need to root the device? Thanks in advance.
    08-26-12 10:45 AM
    Just update it, you don't need to root to sideload android apps.
    08-26-12 11:04 AM
    There are some great apps on the playbook. There is shi* in apple and android stores as well as some uttercrap in app world, but there are some real gems hidden if you can find them
    bb624 and mnhockeycoach99 like this.
    08-26-12 05:12 PM
    Mines stopped working already. I'm trying to reload the OS now. App World stopped working and I get a blank screen if I try to open it which crashes the entire thing; can't do anything apart from reboot.

Before this happened apps took ages to install the Browser chequer boards every website when I try to scroll and the Playbook would take about 10 minutes to boot up! I either got a faulty unit or they are actually like this and it was a rip off even at �129 for 64GB.
    Last edited by veii; 08-26-12 at 06:34 PM.
    08-26-12 05:50 PM
    Mines stopped working already. I'm trying to reload the OS now. App World stopped working and I get a blank screen if I try to open it which crashes the entire thing; can't do anything apart from reboot.

Before this happened apps took ages to install the Browser chequer boards every website when I try to scroll and the Playbook would take about 10 minutes to boot up! I either got a faulty unit or they are actually like this and it was a rip off even at �129 for 64GB.
    I am stuck! I decided not to root it, and went with the automatical update. This failed cos the network connection kept dropping, eventually, now it is not dropping but I cannot update! Error codes 3000 & 2011, 2012! Ridiculous.

Maybe they are faulty, a dodgy component somewhere I dunno. I've got a BB Bold too and this works fine on the network.

Going to try a method I found in another thread, where it updates it through the desktop software. Will let you know the results.

Is yours rooted veii?
    08-26-12 07:43 PM
    I am stuck! I decided not to root it, and went with the automatical update. This failed cos the network connection kept dropping, eventually, now it is not dropping but I cannot update! Error codes 3000 & 2011, 2012! Ridiculous.

Maybe they are faulty, a dodgy component somewhere I dunno. I've got a BB Bold too and this works fine on the network.

Going to try a method I found in another thread, where it updates it through the desktop software. Will let you know the results.

Is yours rooted veii?
    No, not rooted here - haven't had time to do much other than put my music and a few Game loft games on it.

Reinstalling the OS seems to have fixed it for now, I haven't installed much or put my music back on it yet though. Websites still load slowly and chequer board all over and it takes ages to boot, but everything else seems to be working fine for the moment.

Maybe all it needs is a wipe and restore via Desktop Manager.
    Last edited by veii; 08-26-12 at 08:24 PM.
    08-26-12 08:22 PM
    There are also some android apps in app world but more than likely you'll be sideloading the bulk of them.
    donraj86 likes this.
    08-26-12 08:30 PM
    Yeah less space taken up by fart apps.

No worries, take it from a year in user for the playbook there are MORE than enough apps available but when you have full access to how web pages are SUPPOSED to look, why rely on some app.

The best will be filling that storage with what you want to add, not what some iprogram will allow you to use.

Remember to think outside with the box with your playbook, you will be able to find it does way more than is advertised!
    bitek and donraj86 like this.
    08-26-12 08:43 PM
    Hey all

I've just got my first tab, a 64gb PlayBook @ �129. I was in two minds as the Nexus was there at �199, looked brilliant but I thought I'd go with the PlayBook.

Now I've always had an iPhone so I'm used to these 'great' apps, but I read that it's possible to run android apps. I was wondering whether if it is achievable and if anyone has done so.

Thanks!
    tons of android apps. I've just sideloaded pinterest. some "important" are still missing but I love playbook non the less. I've almost switched to android at one point but after playing with galaxy I have returned it back to the store and never looked back.

one suggestion is to install latest 2.1 beta for developers. it is great improvement especially for android player and works extremely well

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    donraj86 likes this.
    08-26-12 08:47 PM
    the checkerboard and dropping could be the wireless router, if your using wep try wpa. With one of the latest updates the wifi driver responds better. may just have to get to that update.
    08-26-12 08:47 PM
    there are many good native apps in the app store plus literally hundreds of android apps ready for sideloading.

08-26-12 08:50 PM
    tons of android apps. I've just sideloaded pinterest. some "important" are still missing but I love playbook non the less. I've almost switched to android at one point but after playing with galaxy I have returned it back to the store and never looked back.

one suggestion is to install latest 2.1 beta for developers. it is great improvement especially for android player and works extremely well

I currently have 2.0.1.358 installed and having some problems with it. If I install the beta version, will I be able to downgrade it back to 2.0.1.358? and if I do upgrade to beta, then will my apps and files remain or do I have to transfer them to my PB again?
    08-26-12 08:56 PM
    ...and the Playbook would take about 10 minutes to boot up! I either got a faulty unit or they are actually like this and it was a rip off even at �129 for 64GB.
    I laugh when people complain about the boot time of the PlayBook. Yes, it should be faster, but mine boots up in like 3-4 minutes...and I pretty much only reboot it when there are OS updates (which seem like they happen once every 6 months lately).
    08-26-12 09:34 PM
    No, not rooted here - haven't had time to do much other than put my music and a few Game loft games on it.

Reinstalling the OS seems to have fixed it for now, I haven't installed much or put my music back on it yet though. Websites still load slowly and chequer board all over and it takes ages to boot, but everything else seems to be working fine for the moment.

Maybe all it needs is a wipe and restore via Desktop Manager.
    Good news! The fix via the desktop manager worked after much ado and I'm finally up and running. Having no problems with the wireless connectivity issues from earlier. It seems to be running really smooth tbh, even tried streaming some 1080p action scenes and it's well worth the �129!!

So have you got android apps working? Is it possible to run ubuntu? This is such bad timing, exam Wednesday!
    08-27-12 12:25 AM
    There's a beta 2.1 version? Will be doing some research on that for sure as well as sideloading and ubuntu.
    08-27-12 12:30 AM
    Wait whatt!!! I paid 500$ for the PLayBook haha.. No, I did not.. Anyways.. Since you saved up some money on a great deal.. You can spend some money on buying all the 'Quality' apps you'd like..

As opposed to other platforms.. everything is paid here.. No free lunches remember?
    08-27-12 12:45 AM
    I currently have 2.0.1.358 installed and having some problems with it. If I install the beta version, will I be able to downgrade it back to 2.0.1.358? and if I do upgrade to beta, then will my apps and files remain or do I have to transfer them to my PB again?
    all your apps will remain and you cannot downgrade back to 2.0

08-27-12 06:28 AM
    I laugh when people complain about the boot time of the PlayBook. Yes, it should be faster, but mine boots up in like 3-4 minutes...and I pretty much only reboot it when there are OS updates (which seem like they happen once every 6 months lately).
    this is not bb 7.0. I might restart pb once every two weeks or so

08-27-12 06:29 AM
    Hey all

Thanks!

i am curious coming from ios how do you find entire playbook qnx experience ?

Sent from Blackberry 9810 with Crackberry forum app
    08-27-12 09:08 AM
    this is not bb 7.0. I might restart pb once every two weeks or so

I generally only restart my 9900 when I update apps. I'm curious why you reboot your PB so much considering it only needs to reboot on most OS updates?
    08-27-12 09:08 AM
    all your apps will remain and you cannot downgrade back to 2.0

Downgrading From Beta PlayBook OS to the Current N... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

This page tells me that: Use the following steps to downgrade your tablet from a beta release to the current production release.

The current production release is 2.0.1.358 which is what I have. So will I not be able to downgrade to it?
    08-27-12 09:22 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD