After much research into the tablet world in search of my first one I decided to purchase a PB.

The Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet and HP Touchpad were also in the running but after scanning forums, reviews and details I decided on the PB. This forum's information had a lot to do with my decision, as did the price drop obviously. Being able to get a 64GB model for the same price as a 16GB iPad 2 is a big bonus.

I'll get my hands on it later tonight and am very excited to get to terms with the device and it's OS.
    09-30-11 03:49 PM
    Welcome to TeamPlayBook
    09-30-11 03:54 PM
    Wow, you didn't get scared off by all the negative posts?!? Congratulations on being a man who can have an individual thought! Welcome to the PlayBook. Play = love.
    09-30-11 03:59 PM
    Or the woman as the case may be!
    09-30-11 04:01 PM
    Thanks guys.

Honestly no I didn't read too much into the negatives. No product is perfect, there will always be positive and negative attributes. The tricky bit is that human nature is to quickly criticize weaknesses and to expect strengths.

Like everyone else I just had to decide which tablet would work best for my needs. My iPhone works best for me in terms of what it does as a smartphone, but an iPad I knew wouldn't give me what I wanted when it came to a tablet. I hope the PB will live up to what I think it can do for me on a daily basis.

I'll be sure to share my thoughts on the device after I've had some time with it.
    09-30-11 04:12 PM
    Make sure to check for dead pixels.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 04:14 PM
    Judging solely from the title, I thought this was going to be like the "dog ate my PlayBook" thread, and we'd see pix of your crushed PlayBook!
    09-30-11 04:17 PM
    Just be sure to check back in the forums and ask questions before going on a jihad against the PlayBook for something that might not even have a single thing to do with the PlayBook, or RIM in general, as so many have done. All the best!
    nova_8 likes this.
    09-30-11 04:25 PM
    Or the woman as the case may be!
    Kimi isn't a woman nor am I, LOL. But I am very much capable of forming my own thoughts.

Make sure to check for dead pixels.
    Thanks, I'll make sure to do so. I'm reading through the tips and tricks sticky and finding lots of useful information.

Judging solely from the title, I thought this was going to be like the "dog ate my PlayBook" thread, and we'd see pix of your crushed PlayBook!
    Eek, I feel bad for that person! But I feel worse that I am actively searching for that thread out of uncontrollable curiosity.
    09-30-11 04:34 PM
    Congrats on the GREAT Purchase. I hope your new Playbook does as much for you as mine does for me! Defiantly, if you have any questions please ask them, or if you think something might be wrong, ask it. Sure some might tell you "search" but many will answer them, or at least give you a place to start your search.
    09-30-11 05:25 PM
    Yay! I'm so happy for you. I love mine and have found answers to any questions I've had right here on Crackberry. Enjoy!

09-30-11 06:15 PM
    Seriously. I was going to scold you for "jumping" on such a nice piece of hardware.

Congrats
    09-30-11 06:16 PM
    I'm posting from it now, I kind of can't put the damn thing down! Still working on getting everything just the way I like.
    09-30-11 11:58 PM
    Welcome to the PB team im one of 64Gb (499$ cant miss the offer) beside 16Gb i already have for long time.

POWERFUL!
    10-01-11 01:07 AM
    I got the 64gb from the off. Haven't looked back since. I have lots of docs as well as using Evernote and of course Box for cloud storage.

Welcome to the club

Long live the PB
    10-01-11 01:13 AM
    I've got the 32GB version and love it for streaming Amazon videos, and reading forums when I don't feel like breaking out my laptop..

Can't wait for 2.0
    10-01-11 09:11 AM
    Next move buy a bb phone and you'll get all the juice...welcome to Playbook world!
    10-01-11 09:29 AM
    You're actually able to stream Amazon video to it? I tried, but tbe only tbing I could pull up were trailers. Was hoping to be able to put Amazon Prime to use.

10-01-11 09:31 AM
    Congrats on your new 64gb pb GoKimiGo enjoy it.
    10-01-11 11:08 AM
    I definitely am enjoying it. Lots of positives and a few negatives, but I must say that the OS is quite wonderful.

Two quick questions.

-Is there a better way of viewing/editing excel and word documents besides the built in apps?

-Can you create/edit the home screen categories (All, Favorites, Media, etc.)

Answers or links to threads on the subjects would be very much appreciated.
    10-01-11 12:07 PM
    I definitely am enjoying it. Lots of positives and a few negatives, but I must say that the OS is quite wonderful.

Two quick questions.

-Is there a better way of viewing/editing excel and word documents besides the built in apps?

-Can you create/edit the home screen categories (All, Favorites, Media, etc.)

Answers or links to threads on the subjects would be very much appreciated.
    As for your questions:

- No

- No - but customizable folders reported coming with the new OS upgrade
    10-01-11 12:10 PM
    I've been living with the Playbook for three months now. While there have certainly been frustrations that everyone on these forums is familiar with, the experience is mostly positive and I make use of it on a daily basis.

Owning an iPhone that I won't be getting rid of anytime soon I can not make use of the bridge feature that sounds extremely handy. However I am usually near WiFi whether I am at home or work so it isn't that huge of a problem for me.

The browser with all of its issues is still more flexible and better than most mobile devices including iOS devices. Even with Flash making way for HTML5 there is still a lot of Flash content out there that is missing from iOS browsing from today's web.

The form factor is perfect for me, I love the heft of it wrapped inside of the Otterbox case. The rubbery grip feels great and throwing it into my backpack and not worrying about it getting banged up is one thing less to worry about.

A big plus about the 64GB version is that I can pack it with movies or tv shows. Using DVDfab I convert Blurays and DVDs that I have ripped as MKV files to MPEG4s. Files sizes are anywhere from 600MB for DVD material to 5GB for Bluray material. On a 16GB you wouldn't be able to fit much after the OS, music, photos, files and apps are on there. Even with a 32GB it would start getting a bit tight for me. So in that respect I am glad I went right to the 64GB. Topping it off with that fantastic display, long train rides have become much more bearable!

I won't get into the things like the slick OS interface and snappy performance.

On the negatives side the lack of apps both native and 3rd party really hurt the Playbook at the moment. Overlooked features such as auto correct and bookmark management in the browser are also disappointing.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the next two months will mean great new things for the PB but it already serves me very well. Probably the only tablet that I envy at the moment is the Asus Prime, I certainly don't regret buying an iPad.
    12-27-11 10:07 AM
    Thanks for sharing!

I have bought my 32GB PB on the day it became available in the UK. So I have it for some time now. And I have to admit - it was one of the best purchases I have ever done. I was afraid that it will be just a toy and I will quickly get bored with it. But I am spending 2-3 hours with it everyday and this is only because I have to share it with my wife

Just to add to the previous post - why I think PB is really good:

- I use it to read the news at breakfast, both the browser and the size of tablet are making it easy for me.
    - airports, flights - perfect time to catch on my TV series, and PB is small enough to actually carry it in hand when boarding, so it is very handy when travelling.
    - I use it as a radio when on the stand, the only thing that is missing is the option to connect some bluetooth speakers when listening
    - I am an information junkie, so I love the fact that I do not need to switch my laptop whenever I just need to quickly check few facts. It is especially useful when already in bed, reading a book, and have this urge to check if what I just read is true...
    - I am using it during meetings, especially when we are reviewing some lengthy manuals. Everybody is printing theirs, I am just putting pdfs on the PB.
    - Keeping photos on the PB is very useful - it is so easy to show them to my family when visiting, easier than getting everybody in front of the computer.
    - Much to my surprise, I am playing games much more than I expected. EA have issued really great titles, and now I have bought Angry Birds, which is much more addictive than expected!

The only thing I would like to add to my PB would be a decent SatNav app, with offline maps. Then I would be really happy
    GoKimiGo likes this.
    12-27-11 06:02 PM
    +1 on the Sat Nav. It is a great size I feel for one. Those 4"-5" TomToms and Garmins have always felt so cramped to me. The 7" is more like what you see in BMWs, Audis and Mercs.

The other thing that I would do if I were an automaker would be to have a tablet dock on the dash and creating an app for tablets that would interface with the vehicle. So Sat Nav, Radio, Contacts and internet would always be synched and at your fingertips.

My 330i has iDrive which is OK but being a 2006 it is hopelessly out of date compared to the 2011 version. Having an app based tablet solution would keep your vehicle's infotainment system up to date for a very long time compared to built-in units.
    12-28-11 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD