01-31-12 04:58 PM
86 1234
tools
    Although the convertible case has the extra functionality, I went with the Journal case and love it. Great protection, look, feel and the size is the same as my Moleskin notebook (yes, I still find it very useful to have pen/paper at hand). Bottom line, both cases are good, you'll just have to decide which best fits your needs.
    11-29-11 09:52 PM
    The case with the pocket looks cool. I think I may get that one for now. anyone know of any other options?
    11-29-11 10:38 PM
    Does anyone know anything about the bluetooth keyboard leather case that Kevin showed off a month or 2 ago? I have an Otterbox Defender case for my PB and I only like usuing it when my PB leaves the house.
    11-29-11 11:06 PM
    This thread has very good input from users. I used it to narrow my search and then shopped hands-on.
    My preference was and is the basic BB Convertible. It is thin, easy to use, and has the convertible feature which I sometimes use. I woudl not want anything bulkier and don't need fancy.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-users-671875/

But do remember to identify your Playbook. Use a business card taped to the back or slipped in behind. Write "reward for return" on it - it could help.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 11-29-11 at 11:13 PM. Reason: sp
    11-29-11 11:12 PM
    Buy both. It's too hard to think about which one to pick...
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-29-11 at 11:41 PM.
    Smilyniiiz likes this.
    11-29-11 11:38 PM
    I bought a hard plaztic case for my grandaughter's Kindle Fire. It basically adds nothing to the weight or bulk but provides a stand when desired and a hard shell protection. Has anyone seen something similar for the PB?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HSG3VK/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details
    11-30-11 12:16 AM
    It<the convertible case> also does not allow the PB to be plugged into anything when being used as a stand, as the ports are at the bottom, and the cover is hinged at the bottom.
    I've read that other users put the PB in the case upside down to access the charging port.
    Nope, the port openings in the case only fit one way.
    Not true in practice. I have the convertible case and it's perfectly usable as a stand with the USB lead plugged in as long as it's on stable surface (but that applies without the lead too).

If you want the USB/HDMI sockets at the top there's no need to put the PB in the holder upside down. Just fold the case the other way. The PB rubberised back and the case lining give enough friction to keep it in place - and the PB will automatically flip the screen for you!

The Nokia CA-101 USB lead is also handy to charge & sync (dirt cheap on eBay), as they have an adjustable cable clip/tidy which is perfect to limit the travel of the back support and stop it falling flat when using the tablet "sockets up".

If you need to fasten it closed, the flat strip on the back from the hinge moulding is perfect for locating an elastic band. It almost looks as if it was designed that way. A black cotton stretch band should be easily obtainable from your local haberdashery, must admit I'm surprised RIM didn't throw one in the box.

Shame it's not real leather, but I guess that would just push the price up too far (if you want real leather take a look at the Noreve Tradition). But despite that convertible wins it for me.

The only downside is it makes the power and volume buttons even more stiff. But fully covering them in this way does give protection against dirt/dust/liquid ingress and general wear so I guess it's a reasonable trade off.

It's certainly not shabby to look at, it gives much more protection than an envelope / sleeve (as you never have to remove the PB from the case), it's better than the 'clones' (all round rubber shock-absorbed protection and no front screen surround getting in the way of swipes), it adds minimal bulk, the price is right, and versatility is its middle name!
    Last edited by PDAMad; 11-30-11 at 08:45 AM.
    11-30-11 08:33 AM
    The only case i use on my devices is the Otterbox Defender series. My playbook spent about 3 days caseless when i purchased it, since then it has been wrapped safely in the case. I am rough on my equipment, so it makes sense for me. The only down side is that it increases the weight by about half and the case increases the size enough that i cannot pocket my playbook.
    11-30-11 11:45 AM
    Not true in practice. I have the convertible case and it's perfectly usable as a stand with the USB lead plugged in as long as it's on stable surface (but that applies without the lead too).

If you want the USB/HDMI sockets at the top there's no need to put the PB in the holder upside down. Just fold the case the other way. The PB rubberized back and the case lining give enough friction to keep it in place - and the PB will automatically flip the screen for you!
    This is patently false, unless you have some newly-redesigned case that I don't. Plugging any USB lead into the PlayBook w/ Convertible Case prevents the device from resting on the bottom casing. Yes, it will possibly sit there propped up if the case isn't jostled in the slightest, but it'd be resting 100% of its weight on the USB plug and kinking the cord at a 90-degree angle. Not good for the cord or the socket, neither of which are designed to take load of this sort, and not how I would ever abuse my equipment.

No, the case will not keep itself propped open when folded backward. It just wont.
    11-30-11 12:42 PM
    I'm using the Convertible for now. Well-made, easy to remove, flip stand works well. I wish there were a way to lock it in place, though. The edge just rests on ridges. It's fsirly secure but will definitely slip off if nudged or jostled with any force.

Another con is the cover has no magnet or other securing mechanism to keep it closed, or keep it flat and flush when open. It also does not allow the PB to be plugged into anything when being used as a stand, as the ports are at the bottom, and the cover is hinged at the bottom. This means you can't flip it closed and lay it down to charge at night, either.
    If you use the rapid charger you and close the convertible case and charge! The case doesn't lie as flat as normal but does close. Although I just use the wall charge that came with the playbook and leave the case open wide at night 9 times out of 10. Rapid charger is used when I'm watching movies and stuff and charge is getting low. Just my personal usage patterns
    Edthebudman

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-11 01:01 PM
    I found tbat the Otter case is the closest thing to the Kindle hard case I bought for my granddaughter's Fire. I expect it is a heaftier case and I hope it does not weigh a lot (relatively speaking). The reviews for the manufacurer are good and I found a wholesaler selling them on eBay for 30 including shipping if anyone else is looking. eBay item 270827952482.
    12-05-11 02:35 AM
    No, the case will not keep itself propped open when folded backward. It just wont.
    Funny you should say this as it most certainly works for me. I always charge it this way so I can use it while charging.

Works for me!
    12-05-11 05:34 AM
    Does anyone know of a case that has pokets. I would love to carry a note pad and pen with mine.
    Targus makes one. Quite nice.
    12-05-11 05:59 AM
    I use the Blurex case from Amazon, same as the Acase leather convertible case, both under $20 and all ports are exposed for access, open, closed or when used as a stand. Flipping the PB in the case is easy if want usb or hdmi to connect to top while using it in an upright stand position, but botton ports can be accessed when it is lying in a more flat position. Blurex and Acase add very little weight or bulk.
    12-05-11 06:28 AM
    I am using a convertible case and loving it. It's very functional and has a good secure feel to it.
    I wish a hole for headphones was cut little bigger, to allow my noise-cancelling Panasonic headphones to connect without forcing the jack in.
    12-05-11 09:36 AM
    I have the journal case and it works for me. I wish it would have a stand like the convertible case but I guess I'll live without. My twin has the convertible case but likes the look of my journal case
    12-05-11 10:28 AM
    Here's another option I haven't seen discussed. Fortte makes premium customizable genuine leather cases that mimic the convertible case, have pockets, and have a magnetic clasp to hold it shut. I haven't used the PlayBook case from them but I used a case of theirs on an older BB and it was great. I prefer the British Tan but the black looks good too. Look at it below:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax4vzUdtTUE&lr=1&user=LeatherCases[/YT]
    Last edited by Umm Yeah...; 12-20-11 at 02:34 PM.
    12-20-11 02:30 PM
    I picked up the Targus convertible case and it works great, when I want to watch a tv show or movie I just prop it up and enjoy
    12-20-11 07:05 PM
    hipstreet makes PB acc. i got a bt keyboard and case for 50% off @ staples. so i returned the standing portfolio case i bought at walmart, and the girl let me leave with the case i just returned, lol walmart FAIL!. now to sell it on CL. the the rogers video store near me is closing so i found this
    charger on sale.
    Last edited by sushistew; 12-20-11 at 08:00 PM.
    12-20-11 07:49 PM
    Convertible case for me. Although I would have liked a strap for it, I love the functionality of the stand. Also covers all the corners of the playbook.
    12-20-11 07:55 PM
    I use one that looks like this:

It's just a generic 7" tablet case so doesn't have the hole for the back camera, but it was inexpensive, does the job and made of genuine pleather.
    12-20-11 09:31 PM
    Is the convertible case leather or simulated leather?
    01-30-12 02:28 PM
    I have both and like the build of the journal case better, but the convertible case is more functional.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    This ^^^^^^^^
    01-30-12 02:32 PM
    I don't really see an answer there to my question. I have seen different sales listings online, some say leather, and some don't for the convertible case, so I'm thinking the mention of leather may be a mistake.
    01-30-12 02:42 PM
    I have both and like the build of the journal case better, but the convertible case is more functional.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    totally agree!
    01-30-12 03:13 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD