Hello,

I have a BB PB (OS 2.1.0.1032). Please help me explore the following site: Eyes on the Solar System on the Playbook. After clicking on Explore the Solar System box, I was prompted, "the Java is missing or disabled". I followed all the options presented in the available links but still could not access the site. For example, I tried to download Java, but none of the Java versions are compatible with the BB PB. I tried the classic version but no plug-ins are available for the PB either. I did some research and learned that my BB PB with its most up-to-date OS should have Java preloaded. It is likely that I don't know how to enable Java on the PB Browser. I would greatly appreciate help in this matter.

Thank you.
    10-17-12 12:04 AM
    This site is asking for the Java plugin. The Java system has nothing to do with JavaScript (other than the unfortunate resemblance in the name).

JavaScript is present in the PB browser, although it can be turned on or off in the browser options.

In order for a browser to use Java, there must be a Java "plugin" for that browser. The PlayBook does not support any kind of plugin, so there is no way to use Java in the browser on the PlayBook. As far as I know, it is the same on iOS and Android devices.

Java is part of the Android system (well, something rather close). Many Android apps are written in the Java language. But, as far as I know, there is no way to use Java in a browser on an Android device either. If there were, perhaps that browser would work in the "Android player" on the PlayBook.
    peter9477 likes this.
    10-17-12 02:43 AM
    The site probably uses a JVM, Java Virtual Machine. This is basically the web browser loading a program written in Java. The PlayBook does not support this.
    10-17-12 07:11 AM
    Only two solutions I can think of. Port an app like JavaIDE for Android. Or create JVM using something like JamVM -- A compact Java Virtual Machine. The problem though, after all that is done, is there is no way to connect that to the browser. So you would also need to build an NDK browser that links to the Java Virtual Machine.
    10-30-12 09:49 AM
    Not the same material but you can download 'Space TV' by OSBB Code Labs free in app world, it has a main live feed which showed mission control for a while and now has a live interview with the space station, there is a second ISS live feed.
    10-30-12 10:10 AM
    Not the same material but you can download 'Space TV' by OSBB Code Labs free in app world, it has a main live feed which showed mission control for a while and now has a live interview with the space station, there is a second ISS live feed.
    Great app, doesn't solve the issue, but great app anyway.
    10-30-12 11:28 AM