I am learning the basics of Java. I have time on public transit most days; is there a JDK or some other means to write, compile, and run Java on a Playbook? If so, what do I need to get?
    01-19-12 12:52 PM
    The PlayBook supports WebWorks (HTML/CSS/JavaScript, unrelated to Java), Adobe AIR (ActionScript), and the native SDK (C/C++). The closest you'll get to Java is the Android player, as Android apps are in Java (more or less).
    drumrdfox likes this.
    01-19-12 01:59 PM
    I am learning the basics of Java. I have time on public transit most days; is there a JDK or some other means to write, compile, and run Java on a Playbook? If so, what do I need to get?
    There are no development tools for serious development of any kind on the PlayBook whether it be IDEs, compilers text editors with code highlighting. Furthermore, there is no Java Runtime Environment (JRE) so applications built with standard or enterprise JDK (including applets in the browser) will not even run on PB and nor will J2ME apps build for mobile devices. There was talk last year about a possible "Java Player" but nothing ever came of this rumour. The total absence of support may be because RIM does not want to pay Oracle for the privilege or it may be because they have more pressing things on their collective minds.
    drumrdfox likes this.
    01-19-12 03:18 PM
    ... there is no Java Runtime Environment (JRE) so applications built with standard or enterprise JDK (including applets in the browser) will not even run on PB and nor will J2ME apps build for mobile devices. There was talk last year about a possible "Java Player" but nothing ever came of this rumour.
    RIM not only announced that they would have a "Java Player" (a compatibility box to run applications written in J2ME with RIM's special sauce), but RIM also announced a native Java SDK for the PlayBook (at least, some RIM employees told developers that before the PlayBook came out). The "Java Player" has been officially axed, and it certainly looks like the Java SDK has also been dropped.

The total absence of support may be because RIM does not want to pay Oracle for the privilege or it may be because they have more pressing things on their collective minds.
    Or, RIM may have concluded that the true modern Java environment for mobile devices is Android's. RIM may have concluded a licensing deal with Oracle for Android/Java -- or may not have, all that is pure speculation. I do suspect (this is more pure speculation) that RIM will eventually develop a native Java environment by modifying and augmenting Android/Java, so as to "piggy-back" their own Java development system on Android's.
    drumrdfox likes this.
    01-19-12 04:18 PM
    There are no development tools for serious development of any kind on the PlayBook whether it be IDEs, compilers text editors with code highlighting. Furthermore, there is no Java Runtime Environment (JRE) so applications built with standard or enterprise JDK (including applets in the browser) will not even run on PB and nor will J2ME apps build for mobile devices. There was talk last year about a possible "Java Player" but nothing ever came of this rumour. The total absence of support may be because RIM does not want to pay Oracle for the privilege or it may be because they have more pressing things on their collective minds.
    I mostly just need an environment I can learn in, not looking to make mobile apps anytime soon. Is there the possibility of side loading an Android App (assuming it would never show up in App World) like JavaIDEdroid to provide an environment?
    01-19-12 04:21 PM
    I mostly just need an environment I can learn in, not looking to make mobile apps anytime soon. Is there the possibility of side loading an Android App (assuming it would never show up in App World) like JavaIDEdroid to provide an environment?
    You can always try to convert the APK but I suspect that it uses native code and is thus not convertible to PB format. Even if you could get it to run and it does manage to produce an executable file, it would be an unsigned APK which would not run directly on PB (it would need to be converted to a signed bar file first then sideloaded to PB).

You might want to discuss this further in the Android Sideloading forum (or in the Rooting forum) but IMHO, it's a non-starter:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f258/
    01-19-12 04:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD