02-13-13 09:40 PM
33 12
tools
    I would like to see a product like the new HP Envy. Screen is removable and becomes a tablet. But difference would be that new BB would run OS10 or something similar instead of Windows 8. It would need to have support for most Windows software like Excel/Word which the PB does (sort of).

Realistically, when time comes to replace laptop, I will probably have to buy and Envy or equiavalent designed for home use (Envy is mainly a business device)

My PB with case & BT keyboard is already set up in this manner and is waiting for OS10!
    02-09-13 09:50 AM
    I would like to have a USB port. But really no complaints. Maybe just a slightly bigger screen size and some controllers for gaming.
    02-09-13 10:03 AM
    I'll take Thorsten at his word and wait for OS 10 to show up. What I'd like to see; some of these might be considered minor, but they would still be useful:

Calculator in portrait mode
    Music equalizer and ability to create playlists
    Option to lock the screen and prevent scrolling
    Bluetooth file transfer
    The ability to print wirelessly from my PB to my home printer
    Slightly thinner/lighter PB
    Improved keyboard: the ability to include common symbols/punctuation (slash, parentheses, semicolon/colon, hyphen) from the same screen
    Solve the issue where some links require a long-press to open, while others open with a simple tap.
    Camera flash
    Improved native file browser
    Improved boot time; how about under 90 seconds/2 minutes for a start?
    Access to App World via Bridge
    USB OTG
    02-10-13 06:39 AM
    Nice list OP and of course it's time for a new one, ours is getting old by now.

What would bt 4 do? Only make bridge faster including browsing over bridge. The bt version we have is maxed out at under 3g speed

On the OPs list:

I'm for:
    - BlackBerry 10. Mostly because I want the apps, better email and (in theory) faster performance due to Cascades. Plus I like new stuff.
    - SD card. Would be nice to store photos and videos on.
    - The USB thing would be nice if it speeds up my backups.

I'm mixed on:
    - The RAM and the 1.8 GHZ processor. But I'm also not entirely convinced that better specs is the answer. Prefer better code. I don't feel inhibited by PlayBook hardware the way I do my iPod Touch or my old Torch say.
    - 12 MP camera with flash. The flash I like but don't see the need for megapixels. I won't be zooming in on photos from far away and then printing them into billboards. ;-)

I don't care:
    - For a screen size like the Mini.
    - Expandable RAM. I don't think you'll ever see this. Tablets are meant to be self functioning hardware wise and then replaced.
    - The wide angle lens or 5 MP front camera. I doubt I'll be ever using it as a main camera. That's my phone.

What would Bluetooth 4 give?

There is a newer PlayBook ...

I'd prefer new apps. Kindle, Skype and Netflix on it. And maybe some of the games my friends play.
    02-10-13 07:02 AM
    Here is what I think an all new Blackberry Playbook should have (My Top Ten!

1 Blackberry 10 OS
    2 a new screen size more like the other fruits mini pad the Playbooks screen is too narrow.
    3 a much bigger processor maybe 1.8Ghz Duo core.
    4 More ram 2gb min with an expandable port to 4gb
    5 an Sd card slot that takes the 64gb cards as standard
    6 12mp camera with flash
    7 5mp 2nd camera
    8 some type of attachment lens for wide angle zoom etc.
    9 Bluetooth 4
    10 usb 3

Ok now when you look at my top 10 you see straight away that the current Playbooks are not going to cut it over the next 2 years!

Can any Playbook Owner honestly say that in 2015 he will be happy with the specs of his current device?
    Yeah, yeah, better hardware's a given. And yeah, most of us will be upgrading over the next 24 months. But for me it won't be to a new BB tab unless the app situation improves tremendously. Android and itabs already have the hardware, software and apps that would make me happy if I upgraded this year, though I'm curious about was Samsung's next offering will have. BB has nothing in sight to compare, and simply adding BB10 to the current PB, or even a hardware-enriched PB, is no answer. Apps (Jelly Bean, running smoothly, for starters), or I'm off.

And one other thing. Some feature that makes a new PB stand out from the crowd. Without that, few potential buyers will give it a second look if that means giving up the android/apple app selection.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 02-10-13 at 02:56 PM.
    02-10-13 02:33 PM
    I don't have any concerns with OS 10 on playbook because software can always be fixed with updates but it's the hardware that is an issue. Upgrades tend to slow down the software incredibly because the hardware just can't keep up. Since BB is going back to it's roots and focusing more so on the enterprise market, I would like to see the following features implemented on the next Playbook. Keep in mind most businesses don't upgrade every year.
    1. SD slot for upgradeable storage.
    - I like what they did with the Z10 and only kept one storage size and allowed people to upgrade if they choose to do so. This cuts down on costs and increases hardware profits.
    - The size they should keep is 32gb and allow up to 64gb SD cards (96gb physical storage). A lot of people already have cloud storage. Also they need to sell this as a feature. EXPANDABLE STORAGE. They never do this.

2. WIDI (wifi display)
    - Not a lot of WIDI products available but this will take off in the near future when people just want to watch on their big screen or even monitor (ahh businesses customers) without a physical connection.

3. Flash, Better front and rear cameras (10 - 12 mp, will remain relevant for a while), bluetooth 4.0.
    - Same reasons as what others have mentioned but also because it won't make the playbook irrelevant within a year.

4. Wireless charging.
    - Will help playbook stand out since their aren't a lot of products out with wireless charging. Also, Apple fanboys will claim their products did it first when ipads get wireless charging which they will.

5. A DOCK
    - The dock should have charging capabilities, usb 3.0 port, HDMI and VGA.
    - Will appeal to business users.
    - No need for a usb 3.0 port on the device itself since the average consumer will transfer their stuff via the cloud.

For a 7-8inch playbook the price point would be between $399-$459 and for a 9-10inch playbook the price should be $499-$559.
    02-13-13 06:15 PM
    Even better sound from speaker-out/headphone out (and a top-notch DAC).

Similar form factor to current PB. Higher screen resolution.

2GB memory, much quicker browser.
    02-13-13 07:01 PM
    Some great feedback!

I heard the Playbook is out of stock in the USA, we never got the LTe 4g version in the UK as far as I know so maybe something is on the horizon.
    02-13-13 09:40 PM
33 12