I was at work and several who work with me talk about Playbooks yesterday because we received like 50 units or so from each type of Playbook(16,32,64) for Christmas and New Year.

The sad thing is even though two of us who defended the Playbook told other co-workers that Playbook will be able to load Android apps and will be a great hardware compare to others, everyone including senior sales people kept saying "it is a **** and we shouldn't even sell this". If this is the attitude of Canadian retail workers who are at the front line that make the contact with customers, I have zero hope for RIM to come back. Never mind other retail outlets around the world.

Everyone is negative towards Playbook at my workplace. No wonder no one buys them. I am so sad that's why I posted this here to make me feel better.
    12-22-11 09:01 AM
    I was at work and several who work with me talk about Playbooks yesterday because we received like 50 units or so from each type of Playbook(16,32,64) for Christmas and New Year.

The sad thing is even though two of us who defended the Playbook told other co-workers that Playbook will be able to load Android apps and will be a great hardware compare to others, everyone including senior sales people kept saying "it is a **** and we shouldn't even sell this". If this is the attitude of Canadian retail workers who are at the front line that make the contact with customers, I have zero hope for RIM to come back. Never mind other retail outlets around the world.

Everyone is negative towards Playbook at my workplace. No wonder no one buys them. I am so sad that's why I posted this here to make me feel better.
    Very hard to sell promises... especially when people know your record.

Once RIM has a Solid Device with a completed OS, and once RIM starts advertising the PlayBook, and once RIM get developers onboard and makes it easy for the average consumer to access content. Sales people and consumer will be impressed....

Of course RIM will need to keep the year old PlayBook-1 at the $199 price point. They can charge a premium for the improved PlayBook-2.
    12-22-11 09:21 AM
    Its amazing to me how many people don't like the PlayBook without even knowing the capabilities of the PlayBook. They don't like it because of hearsay and bad press, not to mention BAD advertisment. When I show the PlayBook capabilities I always hear..."it can do that, I didn't know that". Its as though the world, with the exception of a few die hard "Blackberrians" won't even give the PlayBook a chance, its not that bad of a tablet as one would be lead to believe
    12-22-11 09:26 AM
    The Playbook would sell itself if it where the device it was suppose to be. Blame RIM not salespeople.
    12-22-11 09:33 AM
    The PlayBook works great and outperforms most of the hardware on the market. It is true that the retail outlets ignore or badmouth this device, probably at the request of some other entity like a fruit stand.

Trolls will always find something to criticize about this device. The fact is it works and works well. Ignore the trolls.
    12-23-11 01:53 AM
    Its amazing to me how many people don't like the PlayBook without even knowing the capabilities of the PlayBook. They don't like it because of hearsay and bad press, not to mention BAD advertisment. When I show the PlayBook capabilities I always hear..."it can do that, I didn't know that". Its as though the world, with the exception of a few die hard "Blackberrians" won't even give the PlayBook a chance, its not that bad of a tablet as one would be lead to believe
    Not having Native PIM without tethering to a blackberry (specifically) was a deal breaker for 90% of the people who don't use blackberries. RIM knew that. Considering how much their marketshare is declining here and how fast (cause people in emerging markets aren't shelling out $500 for a tablet en masse, you know) they should have known better.

No one care what the PlayBook or QNX is theoretically capable of. They only care what it can do and whether or not its premium price was worth passing up the gazillion cheap Android tablets on the market. It wasn't, and still isn't.

Most average consumers can see if a device works for them by playing with it for 20 minutes in a store. They aren't power users. They don't care about the details, and they certainly don't want to hear that a $500 playbook doesn't have a PIM client, and they certainly don't want to be told to wait a year for it to be patched in, or that developers will "get around" to making apps for the thing, or any of the other dozens of excuses thrown around. Oh "use the browser, it works fine" is my favorite one.

Cause no other tablet or smartphone (or even feature phone) has a browser, am I right?

This thing was doomed from the start. They shouldn't have even started talking about it, and they should have just delayed it a year and released better phones.
    12-23-11 02:45 AM
    The play book needed PIM when it came out at the VERY least it should have been out when first promised. That helped slow sales. However having said that I think its a great device and I still want one.

I gotta say though even in Southern Ontario. Every store I go into aside from maybe The Source the BB Playbook is never turned on and charged. Anywhere, none of the major retailers, only the source had it on a few times.
    Its quite sad, especially here in Canada not too far from Waterloo.
    12-23-11 04:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD