The PlayBook is iPad's daddy. It's not even close.
    SCrid2000 likes this.
    04-21-11 08:31 PM
    could you elucidate a bit more on that thought?
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-21-11 08:45 PM
    I am more curious as to how the PB isn't yet another "oh crap, we gotta get into this market quick!" device.
    04-21-11 08:47 PM
    I am more curious as to how the PB isn't yet another "oh crap, we gotta get into this market quick!" device.
    What does the iPad do better that the PlayBook? That's what I'm curious about. Enlighten me.
    04-21-11 08:50 PM
    oh look another troll/trash talk thread

*sigh*
    04-21-11 09:49 PM
    I've never used an iPad, but from what I can gather it's still leaps ahead of the Playbook. My hope is that RIM is quick enough to roll out enough software to make up for its current shortcomings. I see it becoming a serious game changer once it's actually ready.
    04-21-11 09:55 PM
    What does the iPad do better that the PlayBook? That's what I'm curious about. Enlighten me.
    Things the iPad does better:
    Native e-mail
    Native calendar
    Native contacts
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    APPS
    Media management plus DRM access
    Auto-text/Auto-correct
    Garageband
    iMovie
    Software Updates (see the "debrick" update pushed for PlayBook)
    Holds wi-fi networks better

Things the PlayBook does better:

BlackBerry integration
    Multitasking (would be a bigger advantage if there were actual apps)
    Flash (though I'll take the native Hulu app on the iPad over the "no tablets allowed" dialogue PlayBook users are seeing)

Glad I could help.
    mssca and BerryBlack15 like this.
    04-21-11 09:57 PM
    they put out two ipads and i never considered buying one for even a second... so it cant be that great..

i have a calendar and contacts and stuff on my pb.... (bridged). not sure ive loaded that stuff since the first five minutes i booted it up.. do people really spend all day looking at calenders? im not saying i dont like having it but jeez... same thing with contacts... wouldnt i go pick up my phone to look at that anyway, despite it being bridged to my pb. why would i wanna look up a number then go find my phone and look it up again to call it?

anyway my pb has kept me totally entertained for three days since i bought it.. how exactly would the ipad have surpassed "totally?"
    04-22-11 03:17 AM
    they put out two ipads and i never considered buying one for even a second... so it cant be that great..

i have a calendar and contacts and stuff on my pb.... (bridged). not sure ive loaded that stuff since the first five minutes i booted it up.. do people really spend all day looking at calenders? im not saying i dont like having it but jeez... same thing with contacts... wouldnt i go pick up my phone to look at that anyway, despite it being bridged to my pb. why would i wanna look up a number then go find my phone and look it up again to call it?

anyway my pb has kept me totally entertained for three days since i bought it.. how exactly would the ipad have surpassed "totally?"
    You made some valid points. There's really no reason to look at your tab for one of your contacts numbers before calling the person from your BB when, I'm assuming, you most likely already have "dial from homescreen" enabled. Nonetheless, the pb is a great device and it will continue to only get better.
    04-22-11 03:28 AM
    I've never used an iPad, but from what I can gather it's still leaps ahead of the Playbook. My hope is that RIM is quick enough to roll out enough software to make up for its current shortcomings. I see it becoming a serious game changer once it's actually ready.
    After your first line, everything you said is irrelevant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    npunk42 likes this.
    04-22-11 05:25 AM
    Native e-mail
    Native calendar
    Native contacts
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    APPS
    Auto-text/Auto-correct
    Garageband
    iMovie

BlackBerry integration
    Flash (though I'll take the native Hulu app on the iPad over the "no tablets allowed" dialogue PlayBook users are seeing)

Glad I could help.
    Enjoy it while it lasts.

90% of those things you listed will gradually become history, one by one, as RIM rapidly updates this device.

I am installing the third OS update as we speak.

Ipad is being b!tch slapped.

LLAmos likes this.
    04-22-11 05:34 AM
    Enjoy it while it lasts.

90% of those things you listed will gradually become history, one by one, as RIM rapidly updates this device.

I am installing the third OS update as we speak.

Ipad is being b!tch slapped.

RIM can't add 60,000 high quality third party apps, out of which a maximum of 100 are the fart apps you all love to use as examples of iOS apps.
    The iPad is easier to use, which is an advantage for the non-tech savvy market, has a bigger screen, which many people like (I'm guessing there will be a 10" PlayBook at some point), and when you buy one, you're not paying for the promise of something great, you're paying for something great.
    I've used the iPad 1 and iPad 2 and tried out the PlayBook in a store (I'm getting a dev one), and don't get me wrong, I love the PlayBook, and I know that the demo one had old software, but even from complaints on the forums, the PlayBook could get bricked somewhat easily; maybe that's fixed in 1710, but I've never heard of a person using an iPad and stock software getting it bricked, and only very, very rarely even in the jailbroken community.
    04-22-11 06:01 AM
    RIM can't add 60,000 high quality third party apps, out of which a maximum of 100 are the fart apps you all love to use as examples of iOS apps.
    The iPad is easier to use, which is an advantage for the non-tech savvy market, has a bigger screen, which many people like (I'm guessing there will be a 10" PlayBook at some point), and when you buy one, you're not paying for the promise of something great, you're paying for something great.
    I've used the iPad 1 and iPad 2 and tried out the PlayBook in a store (I'm getting a dev one), and don't get me wrong, I love the PlayBook, and I know that the demo one had old software, but even from complaints on the forums, the PlayBook could get bricked somewhat easily; maybe that's fixed in 1710, but I've never heard of a person using an iPad and stock software getting it bricked, and only very, very rarely even in the jailbroken community.
    I own an iPad2 and now the PB... as well as a Xoom.

I can say that the experience with the iPad is so much different. It is elegant and the interface is like butter. The apps are great as welll.

I too don't like the locked down nature of iOS, but people have really got to stop writing off the millions using the iPads as simplistic people who are too dumb to handle devices like a Droid or PB. Thd iPad2 is very appealing and works almost flawlessly.

I'm still trying to get my PB setup correctly...
    Blacklatino and mssca like this.
    04-22-11 06:23 AM
    Native e-mail
    Native calendar
    Native contacts
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    APPS
    Auto-text/Auto-correct
    Garageband
    iMovie

BlackBerry integration

Glad I could help.
    So you listed Apps 4 times, and then separately listed GarageBand and imovie. Both of which are apps. That's a good way to fluff the list for the ipad.

Regardless, you also forgot a couple of things for the PlayBook:

Usable cameras (The ipads cameras are inexcusable and frankly embarrassing)
    Portability
    Presenter Mode
    Native HDMI out (no extra cable needed)

Once you take out your repetitive listings, that should make it about even. Look, like the guy above me, I too have an ipad2, a Xoom and now a PlayBook. They're all great devices, but I've never understood why everyone has to champion their choice above all others. Is it because people can't have both, have to make a decision, and therefore have to talk trash about the other?
    LLAmos likes this.
    04-22-11 07:02 AM
    Transmit your personal information back to Apple every 12 hours....
    04-22-11 07:05 AM
    how does the ipad do apps better really bs!!!!!
    i would much rather play game on the playbook need for speed nice the ipads huge playing games like need for speed on an ipad would look foolish
    secondly just video recording holding up the ipad to take a video its so big i would feel wierd!!!!!1 playbook perfect size for this
    04-22-11 07:09 AM

the PlayBook could get bricked somewhat easily; maybe that's fixed in 1710, but I've never heard of a person using an iPad and stock software getting it bricked, and only very, very rarely even in the jailbroken community.
    I bricked my iPad with a software update. Seems there was a bad install or communication with iTunes on my PC. It did brick my iPad, and it was not jailbroken.

Sadly, I did communicate with the developer of one of the best photo editing apps on iPad to tell them that I hoped they would do one for the Playbook. Their answer was "no".
    04-22-11 07:14 AM
    Native e-mail
    Native calendar
    Native contacts
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    APPS
    Auto-text/Auto-correct
    Garageband
    iMovie

BlackBerry integration

Glad I could help.
    Sorry 295k fart apps don't really help me some take Apps off...
    You forgot the better camera and superior O.S on the Playbook.
    And for some reason the YouTube App on all Apple product never works for me...
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 04-22-11 at 07:22 AM.
    04-22-11 07:19 AM
    Things the Ipad does better:
    Has more apps.(Native Email and Calendar are Apps...)
    Has a bigger dictionary for auto-text.

Things the Playbook Does Better:
    Superior O.S.
    Usable non-crappy cameras.
    REAL Multitasking.
    BB Bridge with free browser.
    Flash.
    This is the real list.

P.S- I have had no problem with Wi-Fi holding...
    04-22-11 07:34 AM
    Native e-mail
    Native calendar
    Native contacts
    Apps
    Apps
    Apps
    APPS
    Auto-text/Auto-correct
    Garageband
    iMovie

BlackBerry integration

Glad I could help.
    Everyone keeps forgetting - this is a brand new OS.
    iPad has a ton of apps - because iOS has been around for years. Even when the iPad was first released, it still had the iPhone/iPod Touch apps to use until more "HD" apps were created.

Given some time, I believe there will be a nice array of apps for the PB.
    04-22-11 07:36 AM
    Apps, app, apps, I love it, dont forget the apps manager to keep track of the few apps are useful as opposed to the bizzilion apps that are crap. How about an app that shows exactly what personal info Apple gathered from you this time, and last time not to mention yesterday. Not going to see that app, that wouldnt serve Aple very well at all. While you Ipad guys are fooling around with your apps, I will have done what I needed to do and gone back to playing the banjo, visiting friends and family and cooking a nice spicy curry. The really good things in life cannot be found in an app, or in a collection of 300 apps. Get over it you app junkies, devices are supposed to make your life easier, better, more productive, not occupy your time constantly downloading and trying out all the available apps. For gamers, you fall under the heading of "better", if thats your thing.
    Last edited by npunk42; 04-22-11 at 07:43 AM.
    mssca and tgellr like this.
    04-22-11 07:36 AM
    when people use "hacks" to get updates through DM they obviously werent meant for mass consumption. Thats a risk to take.

On a sidenote go google "iPad2 bugs" and tell me what you find.
    04-22-11 07:40 AM
    could you elucidate a bit more on that thought?
    No, I think it was well said.

04-22-11 07:41 AM
    i have an iPad and have had it for 6 months and now i have a PlayBook. i am giving the iPad to my 14 yr old daughter. It is a toy. It is weak. i am going to keep the PlayBook for myself. It is just plain better. Made for adults. First shot right out of the box. And will keep getting better.

It's not even close.
    04-22-11 08:08 AM
    PB fell flat on its face.

You're kidding yourself if you think devs are jumping at the chance to design apps for this POS.
    You must be prescient. Where is the market headed?
    04-22-11 09:25 AM
114 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD