As a possible Playbook developer, I'd like to see true background services and communication between Apps to enable the kind of ecosystem you have in the BlackBerries--- services can listen for events and flash the LED or put up a notification, etc.
    AFAIK you can't even make a music player similar to the one that is on the PB. It background plays and puts its controls in the notification area. Can any non-RIM app do that?

Also, the Playbook is a killer tablet for the new low price. To raise the price and get it profitable though, RIM absolutely needs to add BBM using the PIN on the Playbook (not parasite off a phone), BBM should use Wifi and encryption to communicate with the RIM servers. BBM would not cost much server side since the infrastructure is in place.

Also, if RIM will pony up for some kind of SMS bridge so I can Text from my tablet, boy will they make friends fast. Being able to Text to somebody else's phone from your tablet enables a person to buy the Playbook and immediately Text to their friends. RIM would have to figure out how to give unique SMS numbers to each user.
    03-03-12 12:10 PM
    What business is this exactly that BB's are the best phone for? Medicine? Architecture? Please explain this business to me.

I'm assuming your a "businessman" so, please, explain this to me.

And, like others here, please don't start with emails and end with security. Thats bern rebutted ad-nauseum.

Surely there must be more to it than that. No?
    Well, if email and security are not the two most important things for business, what are?
    03-03-12 12:46 PM
    NO. The PB works great for BB users, and it always has. Bridge gave me access to emails and BBM and a free internet connection wherever I had a signal. That obviously was not enough because even with 75 million Blackberrys worldwide, they didn't move many PBs to that base.

The mistake was making a device for only BB users. If u can't see that at this point, I don't know what to tell you.
    I think you miss the point, trying to do everything well is impossible. I am simply suggesting that with the Playbook BB has made the ideal tool for those with a BlackBerry.
    03-03-12 06:28 PM
    I think you miss the point, trying to do everything well is impossible. I am simply suggesting that with the Playbook BB has made the ideal tool for those with a BlackBerry.
    Well if thats true than apparently they have miscalculated because there are 75 million Blackberries out there and only a million or so Playbooks.

I love my PB, but obviously there are big holes in the experience for many prospective buyers. The focus of this thread was not about doing everything well, it was about doing media and communication at least on the same level as the competition. RIM has not yet met that challenge.
    03-03-12 06:47 PM
    What percentage of those 75 million BB's are the most basic/cheapest model, used like a glorified pager + phone?

What percentage of those users have a phone paid for by the company, not their own? You're not likely to buy a PB for a phone you don't own.

How many BB's were purchased for the main reason that it's the perfect keyboard for texting? Texting is the killer app for the teen to 20's crowd.

How many of those 75 million BB's were replaced, broken or obsolete and sitting in a drawer, landfill, etc?
    03-03-12 07:17 PM
    RIM needs to put bbm on the PlayBook. Not because of instant messenger feature (well that too) but because they are heading in a direction where bbm is a major part of the OS experience. We are looking at "super apps" where you can share scores, results, status updates, etc., from within the app to bbm. The PlayBook needs to do the same. There needs to be an underlying social network that connects the pb to the bb, and the bb to other bb users. With bb10 we will likely see video chat made a continuation of bbm.

I can live without the major apps, but I can't sell the pb to my friends without them.
    03-03-12 08:11 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD