A lot of people go on about people getting the iPad rather than Playbook because of all the apps. I disagree!

Of all the iPad owners I have spoke to the deciding factors are:

1. Ease of use

2. It's cool to have an iPad

3. They'd only heard of the iPad

4. There friend/relative/co-worker has an iPad

5. They have an iPhone and thought the iPad would partner with it well

Apps never got mention. I'm sure for some people apps are important, but for the average user they're not the be-all and end-all.

The truth is, IMHO, that the Playbook is now a better device in so many ways, but RIM are doing an appalling job of getting the message out.

As a one-time iPad user myself and I feel qualified to be a Playbook evangelist and rarely miss an opportunity to sing its praises, but RIM need to be doing their part too, and they seem to be struggling with that.

Hopefully, with BB10 and OS3 for the PB we'll end up with devices that don't just meet people's needs but totally WOW anyone who sees them, and does so to such an extent that anyone who sees it just wants one.

It's about time iPad users started to have to justify the reason why they are using a clunky piece of kit, built on a five year old OS, instead of us PB users have to justify why we're not iPad users
    03-27-12 06:39 AM
    It's the apps, they just don't think of it that way. Ask them what do they do with it, and they'll show you, but they won't refer to it as a app, even tho they just launched one. People play games, but don't say they just launched an app, they edit a doc in any of the office apps, or use Evermore, or go to Facebook, but they just do it, not say "I just launch an app".
    03-27-12 06:58 AM
    Without many of the must-have apps somebody tied into the Apple or Android ecosystem will not switch over, and there's the problem. The PlayBook may be able to pull in new tablet shoppers and those with Blackberries or without a smartphone at all, but people who are used to having Skype and Netflix and the newest games will rarely jump ship.
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    03-27-12 07:03 AM
    Apps are like cash, it's never the issue when you have a lot. Most iPads user don't know what apps they don't have because they are so happy with the apps they do have. They also don't know or don't care about the hardware or comparisons as long as it does what they want. Playbook users (myself included) are always asking when will this app be available or wouldn't it be great if... iPads users are always saying "look at all the stuff I can do" without realizing or caring about the limitations.
    Last edited by reschp; 03-27-12 at 09:34 PM.
    03-27-12 07:04 AM
    If you read much on here it is Skype netflix hulu kindle etc. It may not be about apps but it seems to be about certain apps.
    brianatbb likes this.
    03-27-12 07:05 AM
    The apps were a deciding factor for me actually, I purchased a Playbook initially and enjoyed it, then I was annoyed that the Playbook didnt even have a built in ereader and I had to sideload everything. Why would I bother doing that when I can just buy an iPad and just have it work? Technology is suppose to make our lives easier, not cause frustration.
    03-27-12 07:09 AM
    The ipad Ipeople need apps rather than thinking about how easy it is to save a link and open the browser. Like stated the ipad9's is the in thing.
    03-27-12 07:27 AM
    Yes, it is not about just apps. It's about the whole experience.
    buwee likes this.
    03-27-12 07:37 AM
    Bingo.

Sent from Sancho's Brain
    (New iPad, Tapatalk HD)
    03-27-12 07:40 AM
    The truth is, IMHO, that the Playbook is now a better device in so many ways, but RIM are doing an appalling job of getting the message out.
    And they will continue to do an "appalling" job. Why? At this point there's only two possible explanations for RIM's marketing troubles: either they can't fix the problem or have simply failed to recognize it. Neither explanation is encouraging.

Hopefully, with BB10 and OS3 for the PB we'll end up with devices that don't just meet people's needs but totally WOW anyone who sees them, and does so to such an extent that anyone who sees it just wants one.
    The Storm was going to do that. Then the Storm 2. Then the Torch. Then the PlayBook. Then OS 2.0. Until RIM shifts the conversation from what's coming to what's already here, they haven't really established anything.

It's about time iPad users started to have to justify the reason why they are using a clunky piece of kit, built on a five year old OS, instead of us PB users have to justify why we're not iPad users
    There's nothing here worth being secure over. These are just things. You don't need to justify anything to anyone.
    03-27-12 07:56 AM
    The ipad Ipeople need apps rather than thinking about how easy it is to save a link and open the browser. Like stated the ipad9's is the in thing.
    Good point. This whole "app" thing is overblown. Just go to Netflix.com and Skype.com and you'll be fine. Oh, wait.
    ambarmetta, addicted44 and agg23 like this.
    03-27-12 07:58 AM
    Agreed. And with the Playbook you get less of the experience the you do with the iPad.
    03-27-12 07:58 AM
    And the issue is that RIM doesn't quite yet have the whole experience, there are some gaping holes that need to be filled with their own ecosystem. And those holes include apps. After all, Angry Birds Space just sold something like 10 million copies in 72 hours, so that shows you that people do indeed want apps. And they want to be entertained. So this whole nonsense of "Tools not Toys" needs to be pushed aside in order to complete the whole experience.
    03-27-12 08:00 AM
    Agreed. And with the Playbook you get less of the experience the you do with the iPad.
    I disagree with you there. Depending on what "experience" you are looking for. All my business clients love the Playbook size, browser compatibility and swipe interface.

There just seems to be this mindset that all the good stuff is on Apple. "I have to have an iPad cause THEY all say I have to." The THEY being friends, media, buzz, etc ...

Every person I have put the Playbook in their hands has liked it. Unfortunately they haven't all bought one.

RIM has not done a great job in the past of making their products "sexy". And that along with all the other slip ups we all know about has put them on the decline.
    jamesbondOO7, undone and MsTiaLia like this.
    03-27-12 08:11 AM
    I disagree with you there. Depending on what "experience" you are looking for. All my business clients love the Playbook size, browser compatibility and swipe interface.

There just seems to be this mindset that all the good stuff is on Apple. "I have to have an iPad cause THEY all say I have to." The THEY being friends, media, buzz, etc ...

Every person I have put the Playbook in their hands has liked it. Unfortunately they haven't all bought one.

RIM has not done a great job in the past of making their products "sexy". And that along with all the other slip ups we all know about has put them on the decline.

I don't care what experience you're looking for be it business or play the Playbook falls short compared to it's competition.
    mud314 and Dissentient_One like this.
    03-27-12 08:31 AM
    I don't care what experience you're looking for be it business or play the Playbook falls short compared to it's competition.
    For some, not everyone. But yes evidence shows that if the top 5 apps aren't there most people aren't interested. Funny the top apps with the exception of Skype which many say is a business app are play.
    03-27-12 08:39 AM
    First, IMHO - I do think that the PlayBook is an amazing piece of hardware.
    Second - I believe that apps do have something to do with a tablets appeal to a consumer. I saw a PlayBook commercial & I thought, "WOW! That looks super cool." Then I realized that you had to have a BB phone to use BBM & the Bridge. Really, I'm not going to buy a BB phone to use these features. Skype is staple for communications, and RIM NEEDS to get it on the PB. Netflix, Hulu, ABC, etc... Videos are becoming harder and harder to deal with because when I think about why I have a tablet, these would be reasons.

I don't use my PB for work. I use it for Social Media, email, calendar & media....
    slbailey1 likes this.
    03-27-12 08:42 AM
    Damn people are still throwing the whole "hurr hurr we have mobile Flash and a nice web browser" crap.

Half of the websites are using silverlight or block access to the playbook browser.
    03-27-12 09:12 AM
    Confucious once said, "It's the Apps stupid."

Let me ask you this, what do you think would happen if we switch iPad apps with PB apps? There would be riots in the streets...
    Fmar likes this.
    03-27-12 09:32 AM
    I think apps Are a deciding factor. I like my playbook a lot more than the ipad, but it would be very nice to have apps like Skype. If blackberry would get just a few apps I think they would be selling a lot more. I don't care for all those unnecessary apps, I just care for the big ones, like skype, netflix etc.
    03-27-12 10:52 AM
    I TOTALLY disagree.

I had an iPad from day 1 and used it several times a week. When I switched to the Playbook I find myself using it every single day, and carry it with me at all times.

I bought over 120 apps for the iPad. It is now sat gathering dust and I haven't switched it on for weeks. So how many of those apps did I really need.

Since getting the PB I've found myself using MORE apps simply because I find the device so pleasant to hold and use, and far less clunky than iOS.

I don't get less from the PB than the iPad I get soooooooo much more
    03-27-12 11:19 AM
    Why does everyone keep going on about Skype?

I never once used Skype on my iPad. Never! I have a mobile phone that I use for phone calls. Doesn't everyone?

I'd feel like a right prat making a call on an iPad in public and I've never seen anyone do that.

I DO use Skype when I am sat at my desk, but I've never needed it whilst on the move, and if I ever did I'd get out my laptop.
    jplo2113 likes this.
    03-27-12 11:23 AM
    I TOTALLY disagree.

I had an iPad from day 1 and used it several times a week. When I switched to the Playbook I find myself using it every single day, and carry it with me at all times.

I bought over 120 apps for the iPad. It is now sat gathering dust and I haven't switched it on for weeks. So how many of those apps did I really need.

Since getting the PB I've found myself using MORE apps simply because I find the device so pleasant to hold and use, and far less clunky than iOS.

I don't get less from the PB than the iPad I get soooooooo much more
    Good for you.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-27-12 11:24 AM
    Half of the websites are using silverlight or block access to the playbook browser.
    I have yet to run into a website in my browsing experience that the PlayBook doesn't support. I watch TV shows through the browser on network sites, and I play games, among other things. Your saying "Half of websites" is a gross exaggeration. From what I've seen in the forums it appears to be closer to "a quarter of US-based video streaming sites", which is a far cry from "Half of websites". Finally, since your main point was that the PlayBook browser isn't better (at least not enough to be a valid argument) then answer me this: what other mobile browser has Flash, WebGL, and the highest scores on all compatability tests (at least that I've seen)? Whether or not it's better (though I maintain it is) it is still a valid argument why we don't need as many apps. I don't need a YouTube app, I watch in the browser. I don't need a Facebook app, I just use the browser. And so on with Twitter, news, forums, shopping, etc. Other ecosystems have apps for Best Buys and Future Shop. Guess what? I use the browser for those! And in doing so I can have multiple tabs with different products in each one to compare them. While I'll admit that apps are needed in many cases, you can't make the argument that the browser isn't good enough to replace some of them.
    03-27-12 11:24 AM
    Ask yourself, if there was a 7 or 8 inch iPad, how would that change the situation?
    slbailey1 likes this.
    03-27-12 11:26 AM
226 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD