07-02-12 06:49 PM
36 12
tools
    I have a 64 Gb PB and a Bold 9900. Together they do everything that I want/need (especially since OS2.0). Except for phone calls, I use the tablet for everything (I'm beginning to think I may have over-purchased on the 9900). I've tried friends' iPads and played with Android Tablets but the form-factor and UI of myu PB make it superior. So am I worried about RIM's problems? Not in the least. As long as their network keeps running (which it will, since it is what sets RIM apart) I am fine. I intend to drive my PB and 9900 into the ground which is probably a few years away, and at that time I will reassess. Who knows what the market will look like then? What if Apple wins against Samsung/Google? Bye bye Android Market as we know it. Maybe Windows 8 turns out to be one of the good Microsoft products (few and far between I know, but you never know - for every Windows ME, Vista, Zune or Silverlight there is a Windows 7). And of course maybe RIM gets over this and releases a world-beater. OS10 will be nice when it arrives but I can't see it substantially changing my mobile usage habits. I like RIM products for what they do and how they do it, not for what they are. If Apple or Android comes with a 7" tablet that is as easy to use as my PB I'd change in heartbeat - once my current hardware has reached it's end-of-life.

Also - I'm a Canadian and while there is a certain national pride in what RIM has done I didn't buy their products because it is a Canadian company, I bought them because they did what I needed/wanted at a price I was willing to pay - which the competitors did not. If that changes, either RIM can't deliver or the competitors do better, then I switch - simple as that.

Michael
    06-30-12 12:10 PM
    I love RIM products. Currently use a 9930, PlayBook and a Dev Alpha. I still own my first BlackBerry. A big ole 7250. It still works, I could activate it and use the first version of BBM today if I wanted too.

I have supported RIM for a long time because of what their products offer. I'm not a delusional fanboy. And although I do want to see them be successful, I now realize that simply isn't possible. RIM as a company is just plan incompetent. It takes them way too long to accomplish way too little.
    06-30-12 01:24 PM
    ...If fanboys drink the cool-aid or however you Americans spell that ridiculously over-the-top sentiment, then doomsday prophets surrounding BlackBerry must certainly be Harold Camping worshippers. The world will end...now...now...now...now...now!.
    It's not the world coming to an end, just RIMworld.
    06-30-12 08:29 PM
    Excellent old skool REM reference.

Puts it all in perspective.

Carry on,
    Or even older school Beatles reference. Accept no substitutes
    06-30-12 08:38 PM
    If you bought your device for what the salesman said it would be able to do after the next software upgrade, you're a fool.
    You would also be very rare. I have yet to know of or hear of many salesmen that know anything much about software updates on this device. Prior to launch, calling around the varios stores to see who would carry it and when and which one, I distinctly remember a salesman at best buy telling me on the phone that they were going to carry BOTH playbooks... the 7" and the 10".

Oh those were some fun days.

Fact is, all consumers except those with NO expectations and NO prior information were destined to be disappointed by this device... that is, those that "did prior research" (as the fanbois use to chant over and over......) were greatly misinformed by even rim itself as to what this device was capable of and when... let alone a burger cooking school dropout that works at an electronic retail outlet selling the playbook.

Fact is, there are STILL key features over a year past launch that consumers are still waiting on for this device... bi weekly OS updates have already become a thing of the past and though the hardware was top tier on launch date, the capabilities and app support for this tablet have fallen way behind nearly all of the competition. We are sadly now treated to just hearing the apologists saying "I don't want that app so the tablet doesn't need it", yet wonder why sales are in the toilet and rim stock is now approaching $7/share.
    07-01-12 02:21 PM
    I have a 64 Gb PB and a Bold 9900. Together they do everything that I want/need (especially since OS2.0). Except for phone calls, I use the tablet for everything (I'm beginning to think I may have over-purchased on the 9900). I've tried friends' iPads and played with Android Tablets but the form-factor and UI of myu PB make it superior. So am I worried about RIM's problems? Not in the least. As long as their network keeps running (which it will, since it is what sets RIM apart) I am fine. I intend to drive my PB and 9900 into the ground which is probably a few years away, and at that time I will reassess. Who knows what the market will look like then? What if Apple wins against Samsung/Google? Bye bye Android Market as we know it. Maybe Windows 8 turns out to be one of the good Microsoft products (few and far between I know, but you never know - for every Windows ME, Vista, Zune or Silverlight there is a Windows 7). And of course maybe RIM gets over this and releases a world-beater. OS10 will be nice when it arrives but I can't see it substantially changing my mobile usage habits. I like RIM products for what they do and how they do it, not for what they are. If Apple or Android comes with a 7" tablet that is as easy to use as my PB I'd change in heartbeat - once my current hardware has reached it's end-of-life.

Also - I'm a Canadian and while there is a certain national pride in what RIM has done I didn't buy their products because it is a Canadian company, I bought them because they did what I needed/wanted at a price I was willing to pay - which the competitors did not. If that changes, either RIM can't deliver or the competitors do better, then I switch - simple as that.

Michael
    I agree, its not that its a Canadian company that makes me proud, its that it is a company that had real revolutionary vision. They forever changed business communications and still have the best and most mobile computing experience. In its heyday no one else could compete. And it is Canadian Sad to see they have fallen so far so quickly. A reporter I know was bemoaning their plight on Twitter the other day. He is aghast at the prospect of no Blackberry in his future as he said. THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE.

Happy Canada Day fellow Canucks, lets hope for the best.
    Last edited by BBplaybookJS; 07-01-12 at 03:59 PM.
    07-01-12 03:49 PM
    It's not the world coming to an end, just RIMworld.
    No but if it does indeed happen it will be a major loss to communications. No other phone can compete with BlackBerry for email or instant messaging
    07-01-12 03:57 PM
    Well, hasn't today been fun? Don't think I've seen quite so much informationless pontification backed by ignorant misinterpretation spattered across the net.

I'll not bore you with another revamp of the details, because better informed people than me have already commented on here, and thank you.

I also quite like the (moderate) lack of "oh god, they're postponing an operating system upgrade, I'm heartbroken because I just cannot do X or Y and/or Z on my BlackBerry devices without it."

So whyfore this post?

I have a 9700 & a PB16. They work. One receives telephone calls (& lets me make them), sends texts and works as an MP3 player. The other is a handy gaming device with some useful utilities, plus gorgeous AV quality and a damn good ereader. Both let me update social media and blogs as required. As a BB user for 8 years, I'm still a happy bunny. But a little irritation needs scratching...

If you bought your device for what the salesman said it would be able to do after the next software upgrade, you're a fool. Really. Why not get a device that does what you want it to now? Seems straightforward enough. After all, if we're so damn smart (as we keep telling those poor users of other brands) how come we don't even have the brains to get a device that does what we need out of the box?

Why do you want all your games on every platform? Appworld has stacks of games. Okay, your favourite isn't there. So take a chance and try discovering something new. Look at it as an opportunity. Also read previous about buying a device that doesn't have what you want. (You can also apply this paragraph to applications.)

Oh, if you want your device to act like a native Android system: Go and buy one. Don't bleat because your lack of foresight, intelligence or balls has resulted in ownership of something that doesn't give you the right functionality, or, heavens forbid, big enough bragging rights.

I have devices from RIM that do what I want them to when I need them to. I update them as required and if RIM think BB10 needs a few more months to be ready for use, then more power to them, I wish other software devs had the sense to do that.

As for the rest of the whingers, get a grip. If your device doesn't do what you want it to, then you have only yourselves to blame. Because if you didn't research your device before buying (try searching on CrackBerry.com, there's loads of useful info and reviews) then you're a f*ckwit.

Thank you. Have a nice day.
    You're not wrong. at all. But if rim can't stay in business to get me a replacement then I'm crushed.

If they can't win back a decent enough marketshare to where my bank will even bother porting their android app for me, then I'm bummed out.

I prefer bbm. I think its awesome. I can't fathom why anyone would settle for less. but if I'm the only one on it, its useless.

so while your points are all valid, it'd still be nice if rim got their act together because while my playbook and 9810 DO make me happy, there's a point where I want more and they might not be able to deliver. when I had a 9700 and others didn't I was fine. when I had a 9800 and most didn't it was ok. but now its getting a little scary.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-01-12 04:06 PM
    My my, I have a bit of a navel-gazing whine and it takes off...

Anyway, after re-reading my original rantette and the replies I understood, I should add that while I love my BurbleBerry devices, should RIM drop the ball I will continue to use them for as long as possible, (taking merciless advantage of the fashionistas & lemmings jumping ship to pick up spares et al).

After that, it'll be time to learn a new device and live without a tablet, because that's a luxury, not a necessity.

Of course, I will be checking that any new device meets my demanding requirements (is it a mobile telephone? can it recieve email? can it play MP3s?)

I sincerely hope that RIM get their act together and become the force majeure they would like to be, or just return to being the corporate enterprise masters they were. I for one do not have the business knowledge to even vaguely guess at the outcome, so I shall use what I have until it doesn't work any more, then look about to see what does the stuff I need at that point.
    07-01-12 04:21 PM
    No but if it does indeed happen it will be a major loss to communications. No other phone can compete with BlackBerry for email or instant messaging
    True but it seems the corporate world, in one voice, is saying "we dont care."

I could make a long list right here clearly enumerating the superior aspects of blackberries compared to iphones and androids.... Yet sales still have declined 30% and one company after another is dropping its policies that make Blackberry devices their only officially sanctioned devices.
    07-01-12 05:01 PM
    If you bought your device for what the salesman said it would be able to do after the next software upgrade, you're a fool. Really. Why not get a device that does what you want it to now? Seems straightforward enough. After all, if we're so damn smart (as we keep telling those poor users of other brands) how come we don't even have the brains to get a device that does what we need out of the box?
    Well, my mommy still buys my pants two sizes too big so that I can grow into them; why not apply the same logic to technology purchases?

if RIM think BB10 needs a few more months to be ready for use, then more power to them, I wish other software devs had the sense to do that.
    Here I have to disagree. As a long-time RIM user, admin, and supporter, I have a strong desire for them to stay in business and keep putting out new phones, OSes, and tablets. When RIM makes the cardinal error of missing a "promised" ship date after all the other grievous errors the market perceives them of making -- and then compounds that error by missing the Christmas season altogether, the market reacts very loudly -- and RIM appears to me for the first time to be in real danger of going paws up for good -- which, as I previously stated, is not in my interest or desires.

Your cool, considered, even educated opinion is all well and good, and may well be the "correct" position to hold, but the health and continued existence of RIM is based not on the opinions of the few cool, considered, knowledgeable individuals among us represented by the likes of you, but instead by every bloody consumer, pundit, developer, and competitor in the global market -- and they're pretty histrionic and melodramatic, and pretty much entirely unlikely to invest a dime in a new piece of RIM hardware, especially on a 2-year device renewal basis like you see with most carriers in the States.

RIM's existence is not just in their own hands, but in the hands of millions of ignorant consumers and other laypeople. We're doomed!
    07-02-12 06:49 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD