I'm still in the same boat. It's either this or a Galaxy Tab (the small one) as that's all that's in budget!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 07:26 PM
    I'm a BlackBerry fan and I like my PlayBook for what I use if for, but I know it's faults and problems.

It's a 3 year old tablet with a serious lack of quality apps and a sluggish Adobe Air based user interface for most of it. There's none of the fast moving Cascades UI from BB10 here. The battery life isn't brilliant, it's just OK, and the older they get the worse that problem becomes of course. The boot up time is terrible so you won't be wanting to switch it on in a hurry to a get a GPS fix, it better not be a life or death situation!

I couldn't in all honesty recommend you buy one in 2014 for the things you want to do unless you find one that's much cheaper than an Android tablet or you are in to geeky IT challenges as a hobby. I say that because just about everything you try to do with a PlayBook in 2014 will involve some clunky workaround or other, the app ecosystem just isn't there to make things nice and straight forward.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-31-14 07:42 PM
    I am not an expert but I, my partner and two sisters use PlayBooks on a daily basis. I also have a couple of Sony tablets. The Playbook will do all you want and the Kobo app works fine on ours. It is very portable and keeps its wifi connection at home and in any wifi zone. Don't let the experts put you off, we end users are delighted with ours.
    04-01-14 04:40 PM
    Just get one and get the 64gb. If you want it buy it they are cheap and still a better OS than an ipad. Experts LMAO!
    04-01-14 05:08 PM
    At the current prices, I'd say it's worth at least trying it out.

Accessories can make a big difference, too. I bought the Bluetooth Mini Keyboard (with trackpad) and it really extends the usefulness and functionality for me.

I also bought 2 rapid charging stands - 1 for home and 1 for work - and they have been great.

A Bluetooth mouse can also come in handy.

Good luck!

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    04-01-14 05:17 PM
    It is NOT waterproof so using it while hiking is probably not advisable. In addition, the battery might get you out there but then how would you get back - but seriously, battery power for a hiking gps needs to last longer.

I don't believe RIM (yeah, I know) will see any money you now spend on a playbook.
    04-01-14 06:35 PM
    get a second hand one dirt cheap and play with it. you can soon find enough to make use of it and maybe buy an app or two.

nogago for the hiking appears to be the map app for outdoorsy types as you can use it offline with downloaded maps.
    04-02-14 01:14 PM
    I'm thinking about buying a black and white TV, any input from experts?
    jgz10 likes this.
    04-02-14 01:42 PM
    Wrong thread.
    04-02-14 01:54 PM
    Its screen & speakers are still top notch, you wont beat the speakers. Ideal for camping or in the car.
    I agree 1,000,000% (if there's such a thing LOL).
    04-03-14 11:50 AM
    It still has its uses.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 04:44 PM
    I've heard Apple makes a good one. I think it's called the maxipad or something like that.
    Cynycl likes this.
    04-03-14 04:54 PM
    Hey people,

I was thinking of buying a playbook today. What to people think. Basically I want to be able to read, control my TV (vlc), and importantly, use it as a mapping device while hiking (GPS)
    What can people tell me about which hardware package would be best, and what type of battery performance I can expect. Is there a replaceable battery option?

I would also love to engage in some fanatical support. I'm a proud Canadian and I'm going to sport my RIM products like the Cubans rock their awesome cars.

So tell me... is buying the AveroArrow of the future Nortel worth it??

Help me live a lie!!
    I'll sell you a brand new PlayBook with a rapid charger for $100. I'm in Vancouver as well. PM me if you're interested!

Posted via CB10
    04-03-14 05:00 PM
38 12