So after wanted a playbook since they first came out and doing enough research to choke a horse, i finally got my hands on the 16gb model. More recently however i learned the wifi model had gps in it, and something to do with it was built in as long as i turned on the wifi, i could still leave the house and have gps.

So today after seeing a good about of gps map programs in the app world i thought i would give the gps a test run outside as i went to run a few errands, but as soon as i left the house i got the error message saying i needed to be connected to wifi in order to use Bing Maps?

Seeing as i am running the latest iOS 2.1.013?? has the option to use gps been removed? Or does the 16gb wifi model not have it installed?
    12-29-12 09:12 PM
    Bing Maps requires a constant internet connection (wifi or bridge) in order to download a map of your current location. No standalone map app can be reasonably expected to provide a detailed enough, up to date map of any arbitrary location on earth.

That said, I believe the sideloaded Google Maps app can perform rudimentary caching, which allows you to continue to browse useful detail of the last area you looked at, even without an active data connection---but Bing Maps lacks this functionality.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 12-29-12 at 10:04 PM.
    CDragonRyder likes this.
    12-29-12 09:47 PM
    All of the pb's have gps. There are a few apps that allow caching of maps in advance including Osmand available in appworld although it is an Android app.

My 4gig TomTom (standalone, gps) had detailed maps of the US, Canada and Western Europe. Since Rim and TomTom has some agreement, many of us hope but don't count on some app in the future. We shall see.
    12-29-12 10:54 PM
    GPS is fairly useless on the Playbook. This is fairly well documented so the horse that your research choked was clearly thin.
    12-29-12 11:57 PM
    GPS is fairly useless on the Playbook. This is fairly well documented so the horse that your research choked was clearly thin.
    Hmm, then i guess i will have to move on from the search engines of Google and Yahoo The proverbial horse that i am whipping has been through this forum, blackberry itself as well as countless other reviewers who have said Bing was quit good, either bridged or not. The question i was getting at was i was thinking since the latest update there could have been something that was removed ios wise.
    12-30-12 05:01 AM
    There's no doubt Bing (Nokia) maps are some of the best but as F2 points out Bing needs a data connection. Great for finding places in the news while sitting at home but once that connection is gone it's now worthless.
    If you want to track your movements ViewRanger will do just that, (GPS) works just fine, it's not assisted by cell phone signal but still close enough.
    If you want GPS to monitor your speed, elevation and position then try something like VCMS.
    Searching Appworld for GPS will bring up piles of programs to try out.
    12-30-12 10:23 AM
    No one else getting an 'error 2' launching Bing Maps?
    12-31-12 10:04 AM