I've noticed over time that when using my playbook on the internet with wifi, it seems to have gotten worse and worse. I often get booted off the wifi (It's my own personal wifi at home, there shouldn't be issues here) and have to tell it to reconnect. And i consistently receive 300+ ms ping result when testing at pingtest.net on my playbook, yet on my computer if I test at the same time or immediately after or before, I have a much more satisfying ping result on my computer. Another member of the family in our household also has a playbook, and when he tests on pingtest.net on his playbook, his ping is just fine.

So despite the fact that is shows a full signal with all 4 waves of the wifi bar filled, I lose connection to the wifi at least a few times a day and have a terrible connection. Does anyone have any ideas or any suggestions for troubleshooting why I have this issue on my playbook?

I certainly did not always have the issue. I noticed a little while ago when I stopped being able to watch videos (youtube, twitchtv) at higher quality and had to turn down the quality or else the video would run choppy on my playbook. Also, when watching youtube videos on my playbook, it has become an ever so common occurrence that the quality, when set to auto, will decide to switch down to 144p (How do people even watch this quality? It's so bad), or the video will just stop playing all together and I have to refresh the page.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm losing patience with my playbook.
    09-11-13 11:56 AM
    Have you tried any of the standard solutions? Hard reset? Security wipe? Deleting the wifi profile and re adding it?
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    09-11-13 12:13 PM
    I haven't tried a security wipe. That would mean I do a back up, security wipe, and restore, but if I were to restore from the backup, wouldn't I be back to the same state where I was before? What's the purpose in doing a security wipe? Would I test the wifi before restoring back all my information and if it worked would that imply something I've added or changed or done to my playbook is the cause of the slow wifi?
    Last edited by DudeWhoDoesntKnow; 09-11-13 at 02:44 PM.
    09-11-13 02:26 PM
    Before wiping your PB, I'd recommend installing SpeedTest HD from app world on both of your Playbooks. Then run the test and see what knid of speeds you see. Then reboot your router and see if that improves things any. If it doesn't, then you might have to wipe. After wiping, though, and before restoring from a backup, download and run Speedtest again and see what sppeds you get then. Then you can compare before and after speeds to see if a restore takes you back to where you were.
    SEAWARRIOR and Carl Estes like this.
    09-11-13 03:20 PM
    I haven't tried a security wipe. That would mean I do a back up, security wipe, and restore, but if I were to restore from the backup, wouldn't I be back to the same state where I was before? What's the purpose in doing a security wipe? Would I test the wifi before restoring back all my information and if it worked would that imply something I've added or changed or done to my playbook is the cause of the slow wifi?
    Well, you might want to NOT restore settings and see how that goes. If it works better, then don't restore or experiment if you have time/patience and restore.

Someone mentioned that this similar problem disappeared with the new OS update. It could also be a quirk of that pb.
    SEAWARRIOR and Carl Estes like this.
    09-11-13 03:21 PM
    So I was about to use blackberry desktop manager to create a backup of my playbook before performing a security wipe, but I'm having an issue I've had before: The desktop manager won't recognize any devices. I've plugged my phone and my playbook into my computer via USB. For the phone, the computer has recognized it and let me sync photos and stuff through windows, but for my playbook it does nothing when I plug it in. And neither of them are regonized by the device manager. I don't remember what I did when I had this problem before.

I've tried two different cords, just in case the cord wasn't working properly, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driveware software for my devices, but it ends up telling me that Driver software couldn't be found or something.

Frustrated.... My technology hates me
    09-11-13 04:51 PM
    What version of Win do you have?

Some folks with win7/8 have found that going into device manager and ROLLING back the driver has worked.

You can also try using the newish Link software from bb. It works for the pb but not older phones.
    09-11-13 10:08 PM
    When I had issues with the wifi I deleted the saved wifi router and allowed the playbook to recognize it again and it seemed to work, when my PB wasn't being recognized by the desktop software, I just updated the software and it worked again, I'm on Win 7 btw, just my experience.
    FF22 and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    09-11-13 11:24 PM
    So I was about to use blackberry desktop manager to create a backup of my playbook before performing a security wipe, but I'm having an issue I've had before: The desktop manager won't recognize any devices. I've plugged my phone and my playbook into my computer via USB. For the phone, the computer has recognized it and let me sync photos and stuff through windows, but for my playbook it does nothing when I plug it in. And neither of them are regonized by the device manager. I don't remember what I did when I had this problem before.

I've tried two different cords, just in case the cord wasn't working properly, and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driveware software for my devices, but it ends up telling me that Driver software couldn't be found or something.

Frustrated.... My technology hates me
    restart pc then plug playbook in to it via usb,,, i've seen alot of people having this issue lately, (pc not recognizing playbook for lack of installed driver),,, for the vets, pass this on as your 1st recommendation,,, works like a charm every time...
    09-12-13 08:05 AM
    Update: Miraculously, for no apparent reason, the desktop software and manager are now recognizing my phone, but still refuse to acknowledge the existence of my playbook, even though my playbook recognizes it is plugged in and gives me this screen:

Issues with playbook connecting to WiFi-img_00000070.jpg

The only recognition I get that my playbook has been plugged in is under window's device manager, under universal serial bus controllers, "blackberry smartphone" appears. Other than that, nothing happens when I plug the playbook into the computer.

***EDIT: Well, nevermind, for whatever reason after telling it to look for the driver software, it actually decided to find it and install it this time... So everything is working as expected now... and I don't even know why...

So perhaps maybe i can get that backup going and try a security wipe for my original wifi problem.
    Last edited by DudeWhoDoesntKnow; 09-12-13 at 01:25 PM.
    09-12-13 01:10 PM
    Okay, so... yeah... I just wasted a lot of time backing up my device, doing a security wipe, and now waiting to finish the process restore to restore my playbook back to its normal state before I preformed the security wipe.

Resetting the playbook to the factory defaults did nothing to help my wifi connection. Apparently there was a bit of a miscommunication between me and the other member of my family with a playbook, and his playbook was also giving just as bad latency results. Any of the laptops in the house, which also use the wifi, and the desktops with a wired connection, definitely all have a much better connection, as good as 20 ms at times. But for whatever strange reason, the wifi doesn't seem to get a proper connection with the playbooks, and has huge latency issues. This definitely was not how it started, as I remember being able to watch videos in 780p on my playbook and I can no longer do that without video stutter and pauses for it to load.

Sooooo yeah... Not sure what the problem is here at all now.
    09-12-13 04:33 PM
    Have you rebooted your router? Have you tried using your PB on another network to see if you have the same issues there?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-12-13 04:42 PM
    router has been rebooted several times every now and then since this problem started occurring. I don't really have easy access to another wifi that isn't some crappy free public wifi, but I will keep that in mind next time I do get a chance to use a different wifi (one that is reliable, that is), and I will run a latency test on it.
    09-12-13 05:39 PM
    router has been rebooted several times every now and then since this problem started occurring. I don't really have easy access to another wifi that isn't some crappy free public wifi, but I will keep that in mind next time I do get a chance to use a different wifi (one that is reliable, that is), and I will run a latency test on it.
    Actually, how well does your pb work on public wifi systems? That could be a test?
    09-12-13 09:01 PM
    I have a Western Digitial wifi router that supports dual bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. I've noticed that the PlayBooks will sometimes drop the 5 GHz connection, even when the connection was 4-5 bars. With 2.4 GHz, the connection never drops.

Is your router set to 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, if single band?

If you're on 2.4 GHz, find a wifi sniffing tool that will tell you how many routers are on the same channel as your router. The wifi sniffing tool will report back the number of wifi routers on channels 0-15. Set your router to use a channel that's less busy.

Also, there may be some other device in your household near where you use your PlayBook that's interfering. It could be a microwave, a wireless phone, a wireless mouse, etc.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-12-13 09:14 PM