After RIM's previous faulty OS update that tried to destroy my PB battery, I switched to the 2.1 beta. I found the beta to be excellent and very stable. The only issue I encountered was that a few of my apps wouldn't update. Fast forward to yesterday, I installed the new OS update, and have encountered issues with the Android runtime ever since. It is laggy, glitchy and apps randomly refuse to open. That never happened to me with the beta. The Android apps were seamless. I'm at a loss to understand how the beta could work so great, and the final release be so spotty. And, yes I did reboot a few times. Not that it should need to be rebooted more than once.

I was lucky to avoid having my contacts/calendars wiped I guess.

I think the additions to the OS are fine ones, especially the portrait email, although I do wonder why it took so long to get to this point. I do worry about the future of the OS though. It seems that with each update it gets less stable.
    10-05-12 05:08 PM
    From your previous posts, I know that you sideload your android apps --- whether those sideloaded android apps run well or poorly after the OS update, that's not RIM's problem.
    10-05-12 05:43 PM
    From your previous posts, I know that you sideload your android apps --- whether those sideloaded android apps run well or poorly after the OS update, that's not RIM's problem.
    A pretty shallow reply and you've missed my point entirely.

My points that there are issues and functionality problems present in the official update that were not a problem in the beta. In other words, I want to know why the beta was better than the release. Seems weird to me, and disappointing.

Also, although I do sideload android apps (what of it?), not all my android apps are sideloads, and the issues are across the board, not just with the sideloaded ones.
    10-05-12 06:10 PM
    In addition, there are the calender and contact issues that many were affected by, I may be wrong, but I don't recall that being a problem with the beta either.

I find it troubling.
    10-05-12 06:14 PM
    And, yes I did reboot a few times. Not that it should need to be rebooted more than once.

Maybe it shouldn't NEED to, but if you try rebooting a few more times, it may actually work. What do you have to lose?
    10-05-12 06:38 PM
    Best bet would be do a fresh wipe and install with cfp. I had beta, which then stopped running android applications and portrait email after beta got an update (to beta not official). I did a fresh cfp wipe and reload the official OS and everything was much better (file copy speeds etc as well). The official OS was updated to 2.1 without any issues in terms performance or functionality (email re-synced correctly after the update) as well.
    10-05-12 06:44 PM
    Best bet would be do a fresh wipe and install with cfp. I had beta, which then stopped running android applications and portrait email after beta got an update (to beta not official). I did a fresh cfp wipe and reload the official OS and everything was much better (file copy speeds etc as well). The official OS was updated to 2.1 without any issues in terms performance or functionality (email re-synced correctly after the update) as well.
    I don't think you would need to use cfp. Now that it is official just do a debrick.
    10-05-12 06:47 PM
    Maybe it shouldn't NEED to, but if you try rebooting a few more times, it may actually work. What do you have to lose?
    I reckon its been rebooted about a dozen times now since it updated. Surely that is enough. And it is a bit ridiculous. My Galaxy S3 gets an update and it just works. I hope BB10 fixes this stuff, it looks spectacular from what little we've seen, bit I worry about how well it'll run on such out-dated hardware.
    10-05-12 06:51 PM
    I also had the latest beta installed but I did a Security Wipe prior to installing the new OS, and then just restored data via BB Desktop Mgr.

Everything's worked just great .... but I also turned off bluetooth on both PB and phone, then re-booted both.
    10-05-12 07:05 PM
    I reckon its been rebooted about a dozen times now since it updated. Surely that is enough. And it is a bit ridiculous. My Galaxy S3 gets an update and it just works. I hope BB10 fixes this stuff, it looks spectacular from what little we've seen, bit I worry about how well it'll run on such out-dated hardware.
    How about a couple turn it off let it sit and turn back on?
    10-05-12 07:25 PM
    Not to get off topic, but why sideload apps instead of getting them from app world and then Complaining. When you put your device into development mode, and do this with old or untrusted downloads. You are just asking for problems. Approved and tested apps in appworld are there for a reason, they have been tested and are supported with Android player for those android apps. Sorry to say this to you but I have no problem after the updates. My apps work great both android and native. The Android player works great, I did not lose contacts calendar or any data. I would suggest a fresh start. Device wipe and reinstall. Get your apps from an approved source then criticize if warranted. Test it properly before you sideload, then if you have problems after sideloading, then you have your reasons...the assumption is also that you do not own the apps you down loaded or created them which in itself is suspect....another thing to try, is to actually purchase your apps before complaining. You'll get more sympathy that way.
    10-05-12 07:38 PM
    All mine work fine. I would blow away the setup and do a fresh install. Something is hosing things up on you.

Tim
    10-05-12 08:08 PM
    I haven't had trouble with my Android apps but I have found that bridge apps like bbm, text, email, etc. do not stay open more than a minute or so if you go to another app. When you go back the windows have closed. Very annoying. The calendar/contact data not being restored is really going to be a headache for a lot of people.
    10-05-12 08:16 PM
    Sounds like it is a side-loaded app that might be the problem since this isn't a "normal" issue (as in it is pretty isolated). LIke everyone else said, I too would do a wipe of the PB and start fresh. I honestly don't think this is a RIM issue as much as an unofficial app issue (sideloading is fine, but in the end of the day they are untested and unofficial and that should be noted and not put onto RIM).

The OS is going in a good direction and really the OS was never the "failure" of the PB, it was always the lack of apps (both through RIM and by 3rd party), and that should be corrected soon. As with any piece of technology there will be a few bugs, but they tend not to be deal breakers. I have had my Android phone wiped because of unexpected problems, have had to system restore my old PC and my Mac because of them too... it is part of our technologically driven lives. It doesn't mean it is going down hill at all and isn't a predictor of the future.

As for hardware, it certainly isn't out of date hardware as you implied. Technology for average consumers doesn't jump leaps and bounds like it use to, the hype does, but not the hardware. The only thing I would want upgraded is the memory, and the OS manages that quite well and really doesn't have to right now. Android needs to have large amounts of memory, but QNX really doesn't, not currently. It also helps that the PB used great components from the start (helps the consumer, not so much RIM when they had to sell the hardware at such discounted prices), so it isn't as "out dated".
    Sailbill likes this.
    10-05-12 08:39 PM
    Actually, I have to take that back. I have a couple of Android apps that don't work now and they worked on the beta.

Sideloading Android apps is the only saving grace to make the Playbook useful. Without my sideloaded Android apps I would have little use for the Playbook as I use very few apps that come from AppWorld. Let's hope the app situation gets better with time, though it hasn't improved much over the last six-nine months. I find very little that is useful from Appworld on the Playbook.
    10-05-12 08:47 PM
    I too sideloaded a whole bunch of Android (and Native) apps when I first got my playbook, (though I found Native apps to be superior over any Android apps, so I don't know why people would really want to sideload Android apps)
    Over a couple of updates and back up and restores because of changing Playbooks or OS reload(due to lagginess which the OS reload fixed), my sideloaded apps kept getting erased (apps sideloaded are meant for developmental purposes so are never backed up and restored, makes sense) and after a while I stopped sideloading them because I realized that 90% of them were games.
    I haven't sideloaded anything for a whilte now because I just don't have the time to play games and perhaps some improperly coded or incompatible apps were causing my playbook to get messed up(extreme sluggishness). I now use it for email, the browser for checking quick stuff, weather, camera, and twitter.

All of these things work fairly decently. As with anyone else, I have my fair share of complaints about certain things, but overall, OS updates have been getting better and better.
    10-05-12 10:36 PM
    About 2-3 minutes a try. Flash videos worked in beta 2.1.x . They do not work on my installation and apparently in other's so that is on RIM.
    10-05-12 10:58 PM
    *Sigh*

I love how people read so selectively. I clearly stated that I have android apps that are both sideloaded and NOT sideloaded, and the issue is across the board. But whatever.

Also, I take issue with the insinuation that I pirated apps. I have about 20 free android apps sideloaded on my device. Nothing pirated, and the insinuation is a bit offensive. None of my android apps had issues on the beta at all.

Also, I don't disagree that native apps are better, they are better. Problem is, they are so lacking in numbers. I'd love for all of my sideloaded android apps to be native apps, but I'm not holding my breath.
    BB_Bmore and JeepBB like this.
    10-06-12 12:33 AM
    It's weird, for some reason it has to do with the install. I updated to beta and Android apps would refuse to open at times...Just a black screen, I got sick of it and installed again and they wouldn't even launch at all. So I used cfp to write the OS and it worked much better but they would crash out here and there. With the official I haven't had one issue with the Android side of things yet.

From my experience it has nothing to do with the build number and everything to do with the installation. If your having frequent issue I'd recommend installing all over again until you get your PlayBook is running the way it should.
    10-06-12 01:15 AM
    *Sigh*

I love how people read so selectively. I clearly stated that I have android apps that are both sideloaded and NOT sideloaded, and the issue is across the board. But whatever.

Also, I take issue with the insinuation that I pirated apps. I have about 20 free android apps sideloaded on my device. Nothing pirated, and the insinuation is a bit offensive. None of my android apps had issues on the beta at all.

Also, I don't disagree that native apps are better, they are better. Problem is, they are so lacking in numbers. I'd love for all of my sideloaded android apps to be native apps, but I'm not holding my breath.
    I'd still do a wipe of your PlayBook. One app can cause problems with others not working... and a sideloaded app isn't tested so therefore it will probably be the problem. That is why I and I believe others are saying to do a fresh start and are thinking it is a sideloaded app problem.
    10-06-12 12:29 PM