I have a launch 64 GB playbook.

I am heading out on a road-trip and so I wanted to load some videos I'd grabbed with my TiVo to the device for my daughter to watch in the car. I launched Windows Explorer (in Win 7) and there was my PlayBook under devices. I double clicked, but instead of being taken to the device, I got

[Window Title]
    Network Error

[Main Instruction]
    Windows cannot access \\PLAYBOOK

[Content]
    Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

[V] See details [Diagnose] [Cancel]

[Expanded Information]
    Error code: 0x80070035
    The network path was not found.

I tried messing around with the WiFi settings for a bit (changing device name, disabling password, etc.) and rebooting the device. Still no go.

Oh well, I figured, I'll work it out when I get home. For now, I'll do things the old fashioned way: USB. However, when I connected the USB cable to my computer, rather than get the normal da-ding and concomitant auto-launch of BB desktop, silence. A hunt through Explorer revealed that the device was not being recognized.

I have now tried both wireless and USB connections on my laptop, as well, and while I can see the device in Networking, I cannot connect to it, either over WiFi or via USB.

Any suggestions?
    07-30-11 08:36 AM
    07-30-11 08:41 AM
    Switch to Mac? You could try to uninstall and re-install DM. You could also look at your IP address of the playbook, open up explorer and put in \\<ip address of playbook>. It runs SMB and I tell my mac to connect to it using SMB so should work on windows similarly.
    07-30-11 08:43 AM
    You could also look at your IP address of the playbook, open up explorer and put in \\<ip address of playbook>. It runs SMB and I tell my mac to connect to it using SMB so should work on windows similarly.
    This is what I have to do. I can't even access my PB through desktop manager. Apparently it is a well known glitch since the most recent OS update.
    07-30-11 09:47 AM
    Before you plug into the USB cable, turn off the wireless and maybe even the bluetooth on your PB then plug it onto the cable. This has been the only way I have been able to get my computer to find my PB. It has been that way since I got it in May. My computer is an HP with Windows Vista. Hopefully this helps.
    07-30-11 10:17 AM
    Switch to Mac? You could try to uninstall and re-install DM. You could also look at your IP address of the playbook, open up explorer and put in \\<ip address of playbook>. It runs SMB and I tell my mac to connect to it using SMB so should work on windows similarly.
    Since the update my macbook pro will not sync video... oh, and syncing over wifi doesn't work. All the latest DM updates etc, it just no longer works. Music is fine, just no video.

So... the old 'switch to mac' I wouldn't recommend, it has problems too
    07-30-11 11:59 AM
    Hi I was having the same problems.

i still cant get WIFI sharing to work, however i finally got USB to work

when i plug in the usb cable i hear the dingle, but no playbook in 'my computer'

so, i right-clicked on the little blackberry device icon on my windows 7 bottom tool bar and clicked on 'volumes' and turned on mass storage (or something along those lines)
    now i can transfer files between them
    cobol21 likes this.
    08-01-11 06:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD