I had to cruise over to office depot to pick up a new wirless router today. While I was there I walked by the tablet section to see what their Playbook display was now. Sadly, There was no unit on display and the price tags were $599 for the 32gb and $699 for the 64gb. I asked the manager what happened to the display unit and he informed me that they took it down because RIM wasn't supporting it anymore.

Just then a random customer came over and was looking the tabs over, so right in front of the manager I pulled out my PB and loaded up the Crackberry Website and showed them all the news and videos from CES. The manager asked me how I was getting internet, where I then demoed the beautiful functions of Bridge to him AND the customer. With the CES vidios running, explaining the OS2 updates on the way, I asked the manager if this is how a company "stops" support of a device. He was shocked!

I started chatting with the customer and found out that he just bought a new 9900, so I showed him how the Playbook was a perfect fit for him. I also explained that if they had any in stock, they could get a price match for the sale price. The guy ended up picking up a 64gb for $299, we walked over to Wendy's in the parking lot and I showed him all about his new beauty over lunch. Hopefully he'll be 100% satisfied with his decision.
    car45, teeuwen, Hgouck and 17 others like this.
    01-13-12 03:27 PM
    You sir, are awesome.
    CDM76 and anon(3896606) like this.
    01-13-12 03:29 PM
    good stuff...keep spreading the good word brother.
    01-13-12 03:29 PM
    I wouldn't say I'm awesome for doing this, just dedicated to a device that at this point I can't believe I ever got along without, but thank you.
    pelletizer and TheStanger like this.
    01-13-12 03:37 PM
    Excellent!
    01-13-12 03:40 PM
    People don't know what they don't know. But when they present there ignorance as fact it is annoying. Thank you sir for educating the manager and taking the time to help a new PB owner. Hopefully the next customer that asks about the PB will get a more accurate answer to their questions. I love informing people and showing them the features of the PB.
    AggreX likes this.
    01-13-12 03:52 PM
    After my recent dealings with BestBuy and local Staples stores I am beginning to think that these companies are a little confused. Is it possible that they think PB OS2.0 means a NEW PlayBook2 is coming out ? I have never heard of Apple releasing iOS3.0 for an iPad2 (as example) . Maybe they just dont understand properly ?
    01-13-12 03:59 PM
    After my recent dealings with BestBuy and local Staples stores I am beginning to think that these companies are a little confused. Is it possible that they think PB OS2.0 means a NEW PlayBook2 is coming out ? I have never heard of Apple releasing iOS3.0 for an iPad2 (as example) . Maybe they just dont understand properly ?
    it DOES happen with my friends. They always ask me "ready for the new and improved PlayBook 2? and I show them this face
    Then I was asked about what I was gonna do with my brand new 600 dollar brick when I got the other one... that's when I explain myself
    01-13-12 04:19 PM
    its pretty standard the office depot people know nothing about the playbook
    01-13-12 04:24 PM
    It's pretty standard that virtually none of the staff at the brick and mortar stores know anything or care to about the Playbook. This is why I strongly believe RIM should start installing Blackberry Stores in our malls like Apple does.
    01-13-12 04:27 PM
    ^ it's like the old saying...if you want something done right do it yourself. It's pretty obvious (and nothing new either) that many store employees don't care to know anything about what they are selling. This is one more aspect of the Apple model that works. RIM has some stores but should have many more.

Kudos to the OP for going above and beyond.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-13-12 04:52 PM
    Great story from a fellow enthusiast!
    01-13-12 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD