Took my earlier morning stroll to CNET.com to see the headlines for OS2 and I found headline article best 7 inch tablets minus the playbook, no side headlines mentioning the update, then the article listed is "tone". Better late than never????

Is it that bad for the ones that don't run with the herd???
    02-21-12 09:21 AM
    Trust me. There's nothing neutral about CNET. Many of them bow to Apple. They also like to on Android.
    02-21-12 09:31 AM
    Took my earlier morning stroll to CNET.com to see the headlines for OS2 and I found headline article best 7 inch tablets minus the playbook, no side headlines mentioning the update, then the article listed is "tone". Better late than never????
    With the long long longgg OS 2.0 update that is finally here, I don't think the blackberry playbook is in the same league with the other mentioned tablets in the list any longer and kind of in its own league now.

With the stuff that it can do now like android apps, native stuff, remote etc, had it been there at launch or even if it were out within a couple of months, with the current price point the playbook would have been Very close to blow the competition out the ballpark, but sadly its six months too late.
    02-21-12 09:40 AM
    Ha ha...well, its because outside of CB and Waterloo, Ontario no one cares about the PB.

It is a failed device and once a tech product gets that label it will never drop it until they release a new hardware update and a NEW playbook.

Merely releasing a software update that almost catches you up to your competition from a year ago isn't going to win too many people over.

The comments on Cnet for the 2.0 article show that.

I think the 2.0 is a good update overall. BUT, it still favours people who have a BB and really if you don't have one it isn't worth buying a PB over the other 7" Android tabs. Also, no Kindle, No Skype and no Netflix.

YES! those apps are important...because almost all consumers want them. Too bad RIM really doesn't know what the majority of users want.....RIM is too arrogant in thinking they can tell people what they need.
    02-21-12 09:46 AM
    ....RIM is too arrogant in thinking they can tell people what they need.
    You're confused with Apple
    black hole and Hugh12 like this.
    02-21-12 09:49 AM
    You're confused with Apple
    Ha ha...very true....but Apple does it successfully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    02-21-12 09:51 AM
    Sites like CNET are heavily influenced by the major tech companies like Google and Apple. Too many bad reviews on iPads and Android devices and those companies will cut you off to their exclusive press events.

However, their lack of attention this time around is partially justified. OS 2 is a solid update to a bargain priced tablet but it is still catching up to Android and iOS in many respects.

Once RIM releases new hardware they will have a chance to redeem themselves and again draw attention to their platform. We'll see.
    02-21-12 09:55 AM
    Ha ha...very true....but Apple does it successfully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What device do you have Bechkam...I've seen a few of your posts and you seem to be pretty negative. You haven't been very 'helpful' at all.
    black hole likes this.
    02-21-12 09:56 AM
    I was a huge Android user...HUGE, but just made the switch to all BlackBerry (9930 and PB). Anyway, the only set back for the pb is apps...that being said, I'm not a big app user so it's no big deal for me. As far as comparing the pb to android in every other respect, there really is no comparison. The screen on the pb is 10 fold better than any android tablet on the market. Androids problem since their inception has been lag and stutter, the pb has none. I had a tab 10.1 and kept it for a whole 2 days...and that was their flagship device! Although I feel like I'm cheating on android, I like that everything now just works and works well. To those that say android is a better system, you either have never really used android on a day to day basis, are in denial or are just a troll.
    02-21-12 10:02 AM
    With the long long longgg OS 2.0 update that is finally here, I don't think the blackberry playbook is in the same league with the other mentioned tablets in the list any longer and kind of in its own league now.

With the stuff that it can do now like android apps, native stuff, remote etc, had it been there at launch or even if it were out within a couple of months, with the current price point the playbook would have been Very close to blow the competition out the ballpark, but sadly its six months too late.
    Did you read or even see the tablets rated? Nook Tablet (limited apps, update to Nook Color) which I own a color and it's no contest.

The Kindle Fire which if I remember correctly had units that would not pick up your,etc wifi connections.

Not defending RIM, there is definitely room to get better but seriously people just be objective or say my personal preference is this or that and stop trashing products. They all have flaws. All of them. Oh yeah and those great 7 inch tablets are mysterious rating very good by CNET which is the rating they also gave the Playbook.
    02-21-12 08:53 PM
    Ha ha...well, its because outside of CB and Waterloo, Ontario no one cares about the PB.

It is a failed device and once a tech product gets that label it will never drop it until they release a new hardware update and a NEW playbook.

Merely releasing a software update that almost catches you up to your competition from a year ago isn't going to win too many people over.

I think the 2.0 is a good update overall. BUT, it still favours people who have a BB and really if you don't have one it isn't worth buying a PB over the other 7" Android tabs. Also, no Kindle, No Skype and no Netflix.

YES! those apps are important...because almost all consumers want them. Too bad RIM really doesn't know what the majority of users want.....RIM is too arrogant in thinking they can tell people what they need.
    also releasing a highly anticipated update that ends in a HUGE battery drain bug is really bad of RIM... o wait, that was APPLE and it was 'an oversight' that was 'fixed' shortly after. Was there negative media about that? NOPE

Point proven. You lose.

I have an iPhone and a PB and I am FAR more satisfied with the OS2 update then the iOS 5 update (A LOT of things in iOS dont work, even after an update)
    02-21-12 09:09 PM

hmmm you have correct and incorrect statements here,

yes its true that every other person/software company/developer thinks the PB is a flop, it shows in overall market %

You wonder why no skype, netflix, kindle after 2x fiscal years on the market? For this I dont blame the 3rd party software developers I blame the failure on PB itself and RIM.

You cant ask Skype,Netflix,Kindle to create a app for your market when your market is 5% of overall, and dont give me this 15% tablet market share from CANADA, that extra 10% came after the 200$ fire sales that happened in the last few months.

The software companies like Netflix,Kindle,Skype realize not every single tablet owner is going to use their product /app. So why even bother investing their programmers time into the SMALLEST market share? Better to jump on the IOS which has high 60-70% and android with a modest 15-20% all which have a higher market share and bigger customer base to sell to.

Makes sense right - its just business, they have to make $ to and not make idiotic decisions, they will and have let the PB die, in their eyes its a OS that nobody is really supporting as of right now.

Maybe with 2.0 it will open doors up, but with the android player being a software launching program and not a native code it doesnt help it at all
    02-21-12 09:12 PM
    What device do you have Bechkam...I've seen a few of your posts and you seem to be pretty negative. You haven't been very 'helpful' at all.
    I have PB, iPad, iPhone 4s.

I have owned BB curve, Bold and Torch.

I don't think that I prefer one company over another, just good tech.

And I live in Waterloo and have a lot of friends who work for RIM. I am disappointed in how RIM has fallen in the past few years.

I remember when having a BB was the best. Now I am saddened by their decline. I would love to switch back to BB (I miss bbm) but I am really worried about what BB10 will bring especially once iPhone 5 drops in Sept/Nov.

Which devices do you own?
    02-21-12 09:16 PM

Why would you think CNET is neutral? That has to be one of the more naive things I have seen as a subject in a long time. There is precious little on the web that is neutral and (in this case) the article in question is identified as commentary. Commentary = Op/Ed = never neutral....
    02-21-12 09:20 PM
    Cnet is like fox news and playbook is like ron Paul??????
    Hugh12 likes this.
    02-21-12 09:33 PM

And I live in Waterloo and have a lot of friends who work for RIM. I am disappointed in how RIM has fallen in the past few years.

I remember when having a BB was the best. Now I am saddened by their decline. I would love to switch back to BB (I miss bbm) but I am really worried about what BB10 will bring especially once iPhone 5 drops in Sept/Nov.

Rims biggest fail, was not jumping on the 3g and big screen bandwagon.
    camera tech as well.
    They kept making the same phones with just a few updated features.
    When they did make a slate phone (storm), it sucked...horribly.
    7 years ago, bb and Nokia ruled the phone land.
    now look at the landscape. I have never owned a bb, mainly because the phone OS was not that great imho, but I love this qnx on the pb.
    I would buy a qnx slate phone,.maybe a 5 inch version with 4g radios for talk and data.
    02-21-12 09:34 PM
    I was a huge Android user...HUGE, but just made the switch to all BlackBerry (9930 and PB). Anyway, the only set back for the pb is apps...that being said, I'm not a big app user so it's no big deal for me. As far as comparing the pb to android in every other respect, there really is no comparison. The screen on the pb is 10 fold better than any android tablet on the market. Androids problem since their inception has been lag and stutter, the pb has none. I had a tab 10.1 and kept it for a whole 2 days...and that was their flagship device! Although I feel like I'm cheating on android, I like that everything now just works and works well. To those that say android is a better system, you either have never really used android on a day to day basis, are in denial or are just a troll.
    To be fair, IMO the integration between Google Search and Google Maps on an Android device is really good. Otherwise, I generally agree with what you saying - if you have owned an Android device, especially a single-core device, for at least 6 months and say you haven't experienced lag, you're lying (or you've rooted your device, which doesn't count).

I don't have a Blackberry smartphone (yet; I've been been paying close attention to eBay though for new Blackberry Bold 9930's ), but just about EVERY mobile OS is A LOT smoother than Android - Blackberry QNX OS, Windows Phone OS, and iOS all are by a considerable margin.
    02-21-12 09:45 PM
    CNET is dooosh central
    02-21-12 09:58 PM

All of my device info is in my avatar and signatures.
    I've forgotten more devices than I can remember.
    These days I use every type of BB and iPhone model while occasionally helping out our BES Administration in our company.
    I also reside in Waterloo and know people at RIM but it's irrelevant when choosing a personal phone or discussing them. I think everyone, especially RIM, is disappointed.
    02-21-12 10:55 PM
    I read all this negative stuff and wonder if will any of negative trollers will ever be happy. They release a free update to get this product on par with its competition and yet I see whining about no Skype, netflixs or kindle. You knew what you were getting when you bought a pb. This update hinted at kindle and Skype being around but really I challenge anyone to find me a instance where a company doesn't disappoint. If those apps are make it or break it for you negative trolls then I question your buying choices as the pb didn't at anytime fit your needs.
    02-21-12 11:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD