I am sitting here working (on my PC) listening to the world's best value MP3 player. It also has a few other uses. It cost me �200 - even better.

And yet the iPod Touch 32GB is �245. A bit smaller yes, but what can it do that my 32GB PB can't? More apps I suppose, but I still can't understand why the PB at these prices isn't cleaning up purely on these grounds. I remain baffled, I think the PB is one of the great hidden gems.
    pelletizer and skyscraper04 like this.
    01-07-12 05:18 PM
    I am sitting here working (on my PC) listening to the world's best value MP3 player. It also has a few other uses. It cost me �200 - even better.

And yet the iPod Touch 32GB is �245. A bit smaller yes, but what can it do that my 32GB PB can't? More apps I suppose, but I still can't understand why the PB at these prices isn't cleaning up purely on these grounds. I remain baffled, I think the PB is one of the great hidden gems.
    you are so right some people are blinded by the apple logo its there loss
    mozzamay likes this.
    01-07-12 05:24 PM
    For one I can trade stocks with TD waterhouse on the ipod Touch. I can't even load the TD website on the playbook.

Although yes at the current prices the playbook is outstanding value for money. Fingers crossed with the sales boosted by steep discounts and the upcoming OS2.0 more and more people may begin to see the light
    01-07-12 06:34 PM
    Sold my 32gb Ipod when I recieved my 32gb playbook for my birthday.Was very pleased with the Ipod performance,but astonished with the playbook.
    caquito07 and TGaT like this.
    01-07-12 06:57 PM
    I know why, its cause most people are ******** and so stuck in the Apple bubble they dont think anything else is good..So Apple can charge that price cuz they know there are millions of dummies out there.

Like Immortal Technique says, "If you go Platinum, its got nothing to do with luck, it just means that a million people are stupid as f***
    emtunc and alnamvet68 like this.
    01-07-12 08:08 PM
    For one I can trade stocks with TD waterhouse on the ipod Touch. I can't even load the TD website on the playbook.
    In the U.S., TD Waterhouse merged with Ameritrade to become tdameritrade.com, which loads fine on the Playbook. I just tried loading tdwaterhouse.ca and it loads fine too. What part is broken?
    01-07-12 08:20 PM
    In the U.S., TD Waterhouse merged with Ameritrade to become tdameritrade.com, which loads fine on the Playbook. I just tried loading tdwaterhouse.ca and it loads fine too. What part is broken?
    Me too. I just had both the Canadian and American TD sites up. Both loaded fast without problem.
    01-07-12 09:07 PM
    While the PB is more portable than an iPad the iPod Touch is obviously much more portable than both.

I can use the iPod Touch at the gym and it still a little big. But I can plug the iPod directly into the treadmills and other machines and it will play my videos on the screen etc. Can't do that with my playbook.

Look, I think the PB is great but it isn't going to compare with a portable device for music/media etc. like an iPod because its still too big.
    01-07-12 09:20 PM
    While the PB is more portable than an iPad the iPod Touch is obviously much more portable than both.

I can use the iPod Touch at the gym and it still a little big. But I can plug the iPod directly into the treadmills and other machines and it will play my videos on the screen etc. Can't do that with my playbook.

Look, I think the PB is great but it isn't going to compare with a portable device for music/media etc. like an iPod because its still too big.
    if you bring the size/portability what reason unless sport (and there both are to big) you have to buy/use an ipod/touch? and not using any normal sized "smartphone"

at least since my bb's had micro sd cards I'm using it for mp3 or even ogg.vorbis since os 5 i think
    01-07-12 09:53 PM
    if you bring the size/portability what reason unless sport (and there both are to big) you have to buy/use an ipod/touch? and not using any normal sized "smartphone"

at least since my bb's had micro sd cards I'm using it for mp3 or even ogg.vorbis since os 5 i think
    If you're trying to say that any BB can compare with the music/media capabilities of the iPod Touch or that any phone/mp3 player is nearly as good as an iPod then you're nutty.

The iPod revolutionized portable music and has since led to the development of tablet computers (iPad et al)

The PB is a great device but now you're trying to say its replacing the iPod?

Don't need to be an Apple freaky fanboy to realize thats ridiculous..
    01-07-12 10:06 PM

Although yes at the current prices the playbook is outstanding value for money. Fingers crossed with the sales boosted by steep discounts and the upcoming OS2.0 more and more people may begin to see the light
    The UK site worked well on my PB too!
    01-07-12 10:24 PM
    ipod and pb..

i use my ipod to play one game and sometimes listen to music.. i use my pb to surf the net, some work, dl games for some fun and sometimes listen to music.

i carry my phone to call/text and i would say i listen to music there more then both. ipod hhmm unless i'm not carrying my phone, a $200 mp3 @player is expensive. op... I agree with you..
    01-07-12 11:09 PM
    You guys can talk about how great the Ipod Touch and Playbook is as an MP3 player all you want. I, for one, will always be loyal to the Sansa Clip.
    01-07-12 11:21 PM
    You guys can talk about how great the Ipod Touch and Playbook is as an MP3 player all you want. I, for one, will always be loyal to the Sansa Clip.
    Ha ha....made my day bro!
    01-07-12 11:24 PM
    that is why i choose the playbook over the ipod touch, plus i can still play my itunes music on it. the only thing i wish the playbook had is a place to directly rent or buy movies
    01-07-12 11:57 PM
    hmm ipod vs pb.lets see... ipod=skype,textplus,great native email,great native stock app a browser u can import and edit bookmarks and a 30 hour batteryand countless apps.pb= none of the above.i have both and the pb will never replace the ipod.i like both but one isnt beter than the other.
    01-08-12 01:03 AM
    also must add the op here stated the ipod at a price of 244.thats for a 32g.the 16g tocompare with the 16g pb is 199 and was onsale at xmas for 179.
    01-08-12 01:06 AM
    oh and also again.i am also having issues with a site.i get a java error when i have java enebaled or disabled.its my local natural gas suppliers site s i want to check my bills and cant on the pb but i can on ipod.illpost the site tosee if i.doing somthing wrong on pb.
    01-08-12 01:14 AM
    Now, when the cheapest PlayBook costs exactly the same price, as cheapest iPod Touch, we easily can compare those two devices.

1. RAM - iPod Touch - 256MB, PB 1GB.
    2. Speakers? iPod Touch has one, PB two, stereo. Better quality, better sound in my opinion.
    3. Microphone? There's none on iPad, two (stereo?) in PB.
    4. Own files. You cannot dowload everything, you cannot upload to iPod Touch everything as you like. You'll need to use iTunes, have a soft which will allow you... PB give us opportunities to do this much easier.
    5. Size of the screen - no comments.
    6. Flash - no allowed on iPod Touch, quite good on PB.
    7. GPS? None for iPod - One for PB.
    8. Any office software (OOTB)? Non for iPod, full wersion for PB.
    9. Storage? iPod Touch 8GB, PB 16GB.

What iPod Touch could have better?
    1. More PPI than PB.
    2. AppStore (more apps) than PB.
    3. Equaliser in audio player.

Compared 08th January 2012, when the price for PlayBook 16GB was �169 as well as iPod Touch 8GB.
    tabulus likes this.
    01-08-12 03:35 AM
    I would always try to avoid saying something is "better" than something else, as that can be so subjective. But in a market with smart phones (even Apples ones!) and $200 tablets (i.e. the PB) I can see so place for an iPod.
    01-08-12 04:07 AM
    Just did an experiment with my PB and my daughter, whose life depends on being permanently attached to her iPod touch! The simple fact is the PB cannot fit into her jeans pocket which rules out walking around and travelling with it. She was impressed with the sound quality of the PB speakers though. So PB verses iPod simply comes down to physical size, but beware as I did get “but I’d like a PB if you want to buy me one?”
    01-08-12 05:41 AM
    Forget the iPod Touch, and just get its more complete brother, the iPhone, and probably at a better price then you will pay for the iPod.

While there is no ameritrade app for the PB, the PB's web browser allows for that desk top experience.
    AsBloodRunsBlack likes this.
    01-08-12 07:01 AM
    but beware as I did get �but I�d like a PB if you want to buy me one?�
    You just have to love her don't you? LOL I don't even know her and I can hear her say it! LOL
    01-08-12 07:06 AM
    If you're trying to say that any BB can compare with the music/media capabilities of the iPod Touch or that any phone/mp3 player is nearly as good as an iPod then you're nutty.

The iPod revolutionized portable music and has since led to the development of tablet computers (iPad et al)

The PB is a great device but now you're trying to say its replacing the iPod?

Don't need to be an Apple freaky fanboy to realize thats ridiculous..
    I seriously disagree. iPod did not revolutionized anything. It did popularize portable music, but that's it. Portable mp3 players were on the market before, just getting increasingly popular. Apple simply joined the market in the right moment and spent enough on the marketing to expand it.

Then, there is a quality factor. Besides the fact that headphones given to iPod were really low quality, the player itself is nothing extraordinary. In many blind tests, using the same, good quality headphones, it was coming last, after devices from Creative, Sony or others.

I for one was so unhappy with the iPod quality, comparing to my Sony Ericsson phone at the time, that I returned the Apple device. Even with Sony headphones, sound was much better on the phone, and after changing to better ones, the difference was significant.

Funny enough, for the same reason I did not choose the BB phone initially - the sound was worse than Sony Ericsson. Only Bold was good enough for me and that was when I have changed from SE to BB. I don't regret

Perhaps PB is not superior to iPod Touch as mp3 player, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were
    Last edited by latarnik; 01-08-12 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling :)
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-08-12 08:07 AM
    Yep, Apple did not revolutionize anything when it came to mp3...just spent gazillions promoting it, and the prices of their iPods have reflected that giant expense ever since.
    01-08-12 08:38 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD