I was trying to compare iPad2 vs PlayBook, most of you know this but still just to put it in writing for fun:

iPad2 wifi scores over PlayBook(pre-release version) here-->
    - 10 inch is a better choice for tablet when you are not really carrying it around
    - Has a huge choice of applications including native email and contact apps
    - Has a battery performance which is 10-20% better than PlayBook
    - Has 10-20% faster browsing

PlayBook scores over iPad2 wifi here-->
    - True multi-tasking which is a big plus for a tablet. This single feature puts PlayBook in a different league altogether with mind-blowing possibilities for this brand new platform
    - Supports flash which is the biggest media format of internet. One needs to understand this is not just a basic flash support, but flash has been truely integrated with the OS at all levels for optimal performance. This is the technical challenge which prevented Apple from supporting Flash on iPad/iPhone with a convenient lie that flash is not good enough to be supported. This is bigger than what most people realize. Other than flash video, now the huge range of web based adobe flash and flex applications (which has over 3 million strong developer support) works very well on PlayBook.
    - 7 inch size and being under 1 pound weight makes it portable. Handling is better with 7 inch.
    - Bluetooth tethering with any smartphone (not just blackberry) for internet connection on the go
    - Blackberry bridge for existing blackberry owners to securely check their mails, im on the go. There is also a game changing feature called 'bridge browsing' where essentially one can browse the internet in the bridge mode without additional charges as this process is not tethering but same as browsing in the phone and having PlayBook as your monitor.
    - It has a hdmi output allowing one to watch high quality video on their hdtv
    - PlayBook has a 'presentation mode' - one can output a video or a powerpoint presentation to a projector or hdtv and still simultaneously do other task in this mode
    - OS updates can be done 'over the air'. One doesn't need to connect to a PC to do an update. In a 'post PC era' one needs to connect iPad to a PC for every little thing!
    - Has better cameras both rear and front. One can even shoot a 1080p hd video on PlayBook which is not the case for iPad2
    - Has a brighter screen and higher pixel density which makes HD Video much better to watch on PlayBook than iPad. Also with the brighter screen it's actually possible to use PlayBook even in sunlight unlike iPad
    - Highly secure and will soon have email application with true security features of Blackberry.
    - Another interesting feature where one can connect PlayBook to hdtv for output and sync a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, you can actually convert PlayBook into a desktop.
    - Comes with a free native office suite for word, excel and powerpoint
    - Comes with two free high end games from Electronic Arts including their popular game Need for Speed.
    - Comes with a two speakers, one front and one rear and has better sound than iPad.

My take on Email controversy:
    PlayBook has been hit a lot on lack of native email app during launch. The fact is that there is a 3rd party email app (called Early Bird) available for PlayBook which is as secure (or unsecure) as native email apps of iOS or Android. The secure native email app of PlayBook which needs to work with BIS and BES without an actual carrier service will take another 2 months which is quite understandable as it is a bigger challenge than it was for iOS or Android to put out a native email app.

Update: @dave1812 I did check the reviews of the iPad Smart Cover on Amazon and do see that lot of people are not happy with it, so it's probably more cool than being as useful as it seems. I have removed it from the list.
    Last edited by sheshagiripk; 04-17-11 at 09:27 AM. Reason: removed smart cover advantage for iPad as it has got lot of complaints
    doug1010 and bjw408h like this.
    04-16-11 11:08 AM
    the "cool magnetic cover" has drawn lots of complaints for falling off, so strike that from your list.
    04-16-11 11:12 AM
    nice list
    04-16-11 12:12 PM
    Well put together. You point out some nice positive in the PB that many reviwers seemed to gloss over or leave out all together. Good job

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-11 12:17 PM
    I like the 7" screen. It makes the PlayBook very portable.
    04-16-11 12:31 PM
    Well written list. Thanks for putting the time into it.

Not sure about the 10-20% faster browsing on the iPad though...
    04-16-11 01:06 PM
    even if it is 10-20% slower than the ipad browser it doesn't really matter. Both are fast. I think deRusett said it best in another thread "it's like the difference between going 190 mph and 205 mph"
    04-16-11 01:23 PM
    I said the same thing in a different thread as well. It does not matter if the iPad 2 is a little faster or if the PB is a little faster, they are both extremely fast browsing experiences on a mobile device.
    04-16-11 01:27 PM
    I was trying to compare iPad2 vs PlayBook, most of you know this but still just to put it in writing for fun:

iPad2 wifi scores over PlayBook here-->
    - Has a huge choice of applications including native email and contact apps
    - Has a battery performance which is 10-20% better than PlayBook
    - has 10-20% faster browsing

What about "Flash support" vs. NO-Flash-Support??? Does not mean anything if the speed difference is 1 vs. 1.1 and Not supporting flash...

And concerning battery - which background apps were running while test being conducted?

When it comes to apps - I am really looking forward not having to browse through 5000 crappy half-working apps - when all I need is one good one. I hope... that RIM put in place better quality testing of apps before releasing... more apps it not better....
    04-16-11 02:26 PM
    A magnet that puts a device to sleep...hmm wonder where Apple got that idea from
    04-16-11 03:51 PM
    Why does everyone keep saying iOS doesn't have multitasking?
    04-16-11 04:08 PM
    It doesn't have TRUE multitasking, the ipad pauses what ever you were doing like watching a movie when you switch to web browsing. Imo that doesn't matter but its amazing at that the playbook can run a game and a movie at once. Only worth while when your slacking off at work while trying to hide your non workingness.
    As far as the web browsing we can't be 100% sure that assumption is right on the live product meaning after the 19th. There is already a update set for launch for all we know it may not be the same to that of the one that Kevin got on his test model. For all we know when the 19th rolls around the finished product with updates might leave the ipad2 in the dust with web browsing.
    04-16-11 04:15 PM
    Apps are a big advantge for the ipsd. Blsckbeery bridge however is one of the best things ove seen in awhile. I really like the ipad for magazine apps like vouge, nylon, and other newspapers.

The playbook seems to be great for those on the go.

Does rim have a videostore.
    04-16-11 05:12 PM
    stop drinking the kool-aid long enough to understand this: iOS does NOT have true multitasking. It has LIMITED multitasking for a select number of apps (think Pandora, iPod, Slacker, etc, can play music while you are using SOME (NOT ALL) other apps). Other than that example, and a few others, all iOS does is TASK SWITCH. It suspends apps that lose focus (ie, you open something else). Deal with it--it's not a REAL multi-tasking OS.
    04-16-11 06:25 PM
    Ipad can do HDMI out-- so how come its a playbook scores higher on this? just curious.
    04-16-11 06:44 PM
    Ipad can do HDMI out-- so how come its a playbook scores higher on this? just curious.
    iPad2 doesn't really have a micro-hdmi output port like most devices. There is a adapter available which can convert the output from apple's port to a hdmi output but it does have these disadvantages-->
    i. it doesn't charge the iPad while using the adapter
    ii. there is a quality compromise
    iii. again you need to buy a apple specific accessory which is also a bit expensive
    Nikeem24 and Place.of.mind like this.
    04-16-11 07:03 PM
    the "cool magnetic cover" has drawn lots of complaints for falling off, so strike that from your list.
    @dave1812 I did check the reviews of the iPad Smart Cover on Amazon and do see that lot of people are not happy with it, so it's probably more cool than being as useful as it seems. I have removed it from the list.
    04-17-11 09:24 AM
    I hope you didn't type this on that spectacular BB keyboard.

Sent screaming from my ThunderBolt at 4G speeds.
    On my G2's virtual keyboard using swype.
    04-17-11 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD