The point I was making is the playbook is older and STILL has better hardware than what apple is pushing as the latest and greatest.
    We're not in the spec race... we're in the experience race
    11-05-12 08:51 PM
    it is just me but wouldn't this be overkill to have high resolution screen on smaller screen.
    11-05-12 08:58 PM
    it is just me but wouldn't this be overkill to have high resolution screen on smaller screen.
    no its not overkill, better resolution doesnt mean icons or text shrinks to an unreadable state
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    11-05-12 09:13 PM
    We're not in the spec race... we're in the experience race
    That's right, and what I experienced with my playbook and with a ipad2, the playbook was more versatile with and without apps, and that is what the whole experience should be. Make sure you try both before stating your preference is what I was told and I did. The playbook is highly underrated and should be experienced. I cant believe people are not scooping them up at this great low price and seeing what they can do. With the inclusion of BB10 to it, the experience should be better. I am just excited to see what is coming, hate CONSTANTLY hearing about what did not in the form of two apps. It is everything else that can be done.
    11-05-12 09:31 PM
    We can all agree that no matter how we love our dearest PlayBook, it never made it to the top from the very beginning... and that time, there are less competitors... with the introduction of new devices with either having back-up by strong eco-system in terms of applications and games or powerful specs, our current PlayBook will be like a small boat floating in huges tidal waves and tsunamis...

RIM hopes really lies on BB10... and not with their current devices... even RIM is not defending their current devices including our PlayBook against these new devices because they know it will not change their status quo... we should do the same thing i.e. move on...
    smartie88 likes this.
    11-06-12 03:59 AM
    Yeah. I agree. Let's have a huge flaming pile of PlayBooks and BlackBerry phones. Let's move on.

Unless of course we remember RIM is working hard on BB10 (which the PlayBook will get a beta ahead of schedule!) and that is where they should be focusing their attention (although OS7 devices just saw a 22% increase in enterprise penetration and are still selling like hotcakes in India and Philippines).
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-06-12 07:43 AM
    None of the specs. or prices matter. It's an iPad. Apple could relabel a Fisher Price tablet and sell it for $300.00.
    The demographic for this device is children. Especially this time of year.
    I know of three that have been purchased this week as Christmas gifts for children ranging in age from 6-12 years old.
    The two oldest, 9 and 12, are moving from an iPod Touch to the iPad Mini so they have apps they are used to using and expect to have.
    The 6 year old has several friends with iPads and iPods that play games on them. You aren't going to convince him that the Playbook is better when he can't play the game his friend is playing.
    smartie88 likes this.
    11-06-12 08:53 AM
    None of the specs. or prices matter. It's an iPad. Apple could relabel a Fisher Price tablet and sell it for $300.00.
    The demographic for this device is children. Especially this time of year..
    They would rather relabel leappad lol

but curiously, why take on Apple? why not compare to Samsung or Nexus? already beat them to death?
    11-06-12 09:02 AM
    The ipad mini's GPU is FAR superior to that in the Playbook. That's a much more important spec that the RAM size.
    iPad mini also wins out on build quality (reputed to be best-in-class) and most likely the screen (bigger than the PB, reputed to be much better that that in the original iPad 2)

Of course, the app selection is way better than that on the Playbook.

It isn't just the pricing. The Playbook is an excellent tablet for folks who don't want to shell out lots of cash, or folks with a BB phone that would take advantage of Bridge. The price cuts make it a very appealing purchase to many people. I'll take nothing away from the PB. That said, it's entirely silly to claim folks who pay more for the iPad mini are foolish. There are MANY advantages the iPad mini has over the PB that makes it a better buy for many people.

That is how it is.
    11-06-12 11:04 AM
    I've been saying that about the iPods since center it came out lol... It holds true, no matter how good the device actually performs - it is a gigantic iPods.

Apple said they already sold 3million units. I bet some of those were people that wanted a tablets, didn't want the iPad because it was too big but also didn't want to leave the iOS "ecosystem".

Good for them. They can have their dream device now.

Oh, yeah, did you guys see that impressive actually said that right now, the PlayBook is the best tablet out there?
    Would love to have link, I've always known PB was the dark horse of tablets.
    11-06-12 06:12 PM
    "...do not consider the "for sale" prices of PlayBook.. The original price (The price RIM thinks the Playbook is worth) was 32GB $599, 16GB $499 and 64gb $699....."

RIM MSRP Buy BlackBerry Smartphones, Tablets & Accessories - Canada
    Obviously many still classify the $ as sale liquidation pricepoint but imho as soon as the manufacturer lists it on their webpage it is the new norm/ corrected msrp value !

imho,
    doug c
    11-06-12 06:21 PM
    It's on!

iPad mini vs. BlackBerry Playbook hands-on | iMore.com

Don't know what they will say, gonna watch it now! Should be a fair comparison anyway.

Edit: So it's both Bla1ze AND Rene now.

Not saying the iPad Mini isn't a nice device, but at that price tag, there are really other 7 inch tablets that are better value (and there is always the 10" iPad to consider).
    Last edited by diegonei; 11-06-12 at 10:15 PM.
    11-06-12 07:59 PM
37 12