Having some fun comparing Apple's latest killer product.... the iPad mini (every competing company's worst fear) with the Playbook, and looking at their prices. First, on the specs, I found this good news from a blog here (and I quote):

The iPad Mini�s specs are comparable to the BlackBerry PlayBook in most areas. In the areas that the two differ, the PlayBook actually has better specs (1GB RAM versus 512MB RAM for example). At only $149, the PlayBook is a far more attractive option than the iPad Mini, since buyers can save $180 (and get a free upgrade to BB 10).
    Ok, so here are the different pricing games played which should convince your friends to get Playbooks for the whole family instead of the iPad mini:

At my local retailer I can get a Playbook 32GB for $149 and a Playbook 64GB for $219. Note that there is no more 16GB version available. In fact, a recent sale made the Playbook 32GB available at $129 for a short period of time before it was completely sold out. Compare this with the iPad mini at $329 (16GB), $429 (32GB) and $529 (64GB).

You can purchase 2 Playbooks with double the memory of the iPad (32GB versions) at $149 x 2 = $298 and still be $31 less than 1 iPad mini with basic 16GB size. In fact, if you want to compare the same memory size devices, you could purchase 3 Playbooks (all 32GB) at $149 x 3 = $447 and only pay $18 more than the 1 iPad mini 32GB. If you had to buy a lightning dock adapter for your iPad mini, cancel out that $18 and basically 3 Playbooks (32GB) = 1 iPad mini (32GB).

Looking at the 64GB versions, you can purchase 2 Playbooks (with 64GB) $219 x 2 = $438 and pay only $9 more than 1 iPad 32GB at $429. Your 2 Playbooks would have a combined total of 128GB, or four-times that of your iPad mini memory (32GB) at almost the same cost. You could buy 4 Playbooks (with 32GB) $149 x 4 = $596, and be only $67 more than 1 iPad mini 64 GB model.

Finally, if you bought 2 Playbooks with 64GB ($219 x 2 = $438) and 1 Playbook with 32 GB ($149) that would bring the total to $587 for all 3 Playbooks, which is only $58 more than the 1 iPad mini 64GB version. Your 3 Playbooks would have a combined memory of 160GB, compared to the 64GB of your single iPad mini, and your whole family could have fun using them.

Oh yeah... Not to mention the Lightning-Connector AV adaptor is $49 for the iPad mini. So if you were thinking of buying that for your 1 iPad mini, it would end up costing almost the same as those 3 Playbooks, considering you can use a simple $10-and-under micro-HDMI cable on a Playbook.
    11-04-12 11:37 PM
    Well hasn't this been discussed a couple of times before?
    You are only comparing prices and nothing else.. If you wish to do so do not consider the "for sale" prices of PlayBook.. The original price (The price RIM thinks the Playbook is worth) was 32GB $599, 16GB $499 and 64gb $699..
    Sadly it did not pan out and RIM slashed prices.. Yes the ecosystem, marketing, immaturity of the OS brought it down but it did nonetheless..

As for the 512MB RAM thing..

Check out those videos.. I don't see any noticeable lag in that.. Maybe different while using more apps..
    But just on paper specifications don't always mean everything IMO..

So at the end of the day for buyers it is a whole lot more than just price..
    Apple is known for its good quality hardware, cameras etc. and not to leave out the very much more mature iOS and app ecosystem(people who want skype and netflix?)..
    People might have compared the shut down TouchPad ( Remember $99?) to the iPad at that time..But fact remains that Apple has survived (going rather well) shows that the buyers are still in for the iPad and iOS and it is not about the price because Android phones and tablets are going at dirt cheap rates.. So there is more than just price..

Overpriced maybe.. There is no commenting on it right now.. Wait for the sales figures..

P.S.: I love my PlayBook (And plan to stick to it for the decently far future).. But I also think that each device has its pros and cons and well I decided to point out a few of the facts which are important in my opinion..
    CairnsRock and 00stryder like this.
    11-05-12 02:07 AM
    What about prices for the LTE versions? iPad mini 64GB with LTE is $659 for the 64GB. Playbook 64GB LTE is $650. $100 less for the 32GB versions for both. $200 less for Playbook if you're willing to sign a 3 year contract.
    11-05-12 02:17 AM
    In the UK you can currently buy a new 16GB PB for �108.97 (�90.80 / $145.42 USD if you exclude VAT) from PC World. iPad Mini is �269. (�224 / $359 USD excluding VAT)
    11-05-12 02:49 AM
    You're comparing the current prices of a piece of hardware several years old to a piece of hardware that has been just released. As was pointed out before, the launch price of the Playbook was much higher, it's cheaper now because it flopped.
    11-05-12 02:50 AM
    Yes I totally agree, they are different devices and each has its uses.

But we looking at the holiday season and the Playbook, even with old hardware, is still around.... It is not being "dropped" by RIM any time soon, in fact it should receive BB10.

So for people who need a second screen around the couch, it more than satisfies their needs.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-05-12 06:15 AM
    That is if you can find a PlayBook. They seem to be almost gone in my area. You only can find 16 GB models.
    11-05-12 07:48 AM
    Everything the OP said about pricing is absolutely correct, the Mini will still go on to be the best selling tablet in history.

Sent from my 4s using TapaTalk
    11-05-12 07:52 AM
    Ironically they are comparable as the PlayBook and the iPad 2 which the iPad Mini is based on are contemporaries. Both PB and iPad 2 were priced at $500 U.S. on release, the PB was seen as a lesser device because the PB has a 7 inch screen. Now Apple may be cutting corners with a cheaper screen (reports of bubbling when you touch screen ) and a lesser build quality overall. Jimmy Kimmel sums up the iPad Mini scathingly. https: gdata_player
    Last edited by Apelles1; 11-05-12 at 08:10 AM.
    11-05-12 07:56 AM
    What about prices for the LTE versions? iPad mini 64GB with LTE is $659 for the 64GB. Playbook 64GB LTE is $650. $100 less for the 32GB versions for both. $200 less for Playbook if you're willing to sign a 3 year contract.
    Where did you see that pricing for the "Playbook 64GB LTE" you reference?

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    11-05-12 08:08 AM
    Biggest thing here is also app selections. Apple has them and a lot of them. For better or worse they have developers who are willing to develop and make applications for them. RIM? They can't even fix the damn video app that comes default. It can't keep position of a movie that I've been watching! Every time I close out of it I have to start from the beginning. I purchased the playbook when it first came out. It had the best hardware + build out of all the 7 inch tablets. But RIM (at least to me) never seem to put much effort in trying to improve their app library.
    11-05-12 11:48 AM
    Biggest thing here is also app selections. Apple has them and a lot of them. For better or worse they have developers who are willing to develop and make applications for them. RIM? They can't even fix the damn video app that comes default. It can't keep position of a movie that I've been watching! Every time I close out of it I have to start from the beginning. I purchased the playbook when it first came out. It had the best hardware + build out of all the 7 inch tablets. But RIM (at least to me) never seem to put much effort in trying to improve their app library.
    surprised no one said the default "we don't need app because we got a FULL BROWSER". Usually that respond is in the first page
    smartie88 likes this.
    11-05-12 11:58 AM
    So all of the developer conferences, the 10,000 guarantee and developer devices is RIM not putting any effort into improving their app library.

OK?
    11-05-12 12:04 PM
    surprised no one said the default "we don't need app because we got a FULL BROWSER". Usually that respond is in the first page
    Nope instead we got the Skype and Netflix reference from the sheeple. With all those apps out there doesn't seem to matter as all crapple users keep harping about not having them on the playbook. If all you use is those two then no need for the additional 198000 doubled and tripled fart apps available. Hey no sense beating a dead horse. But at least the playbook will have a new current os and the minipad will have the OLDEST OS around! And we don't have to shell out 700 dollars to get it.
    11-05-12 12:09 PM
    Nope instead we got the Skype and Netflix reference from the sheeple. With all those apps out there doesn't seem to matter as all crapple users keep harping about not having them on the playbook. If all you use is those two then no need for the additional 198000 doubled and tripled fart apps available. Hey no sense beating a dead horse. But at least the playbook will have a new current os and the minipad will have the OLDEST OS around! And we don't have to shell out 700 dollars to get it.
    A. It's funny that you call other people sheeple. You sound way too passionate about RIM. That itself already sounds like a sheeple. Let me know what relationship you have with RIM beside being a customer. Then you went on the usually " fart app" rant. Some would say you can't think for yourself, and using everyone else materials and following it. Sounds like a sheeple to me. Also, not to mention the fart app argument doesn't even make sense. It already been beaten to death.

B. When is having the newest OS means anything? let me know how WebOS or WP7.8 worked out. An OS without support its crap. I can care less if its from RIM, APPLE, GOOGLE or MSFT. You make a device, you better have support, or else is dead. No one cares if you can swipe left/right/up/down. Big deal. You swipe from your browser to your music player. Let me know when you can do more with it.

C. Wasn't Playbook retail 499? same as ipad? don't think RIM wanted to sell for that price? don't make a comparison to a firesale and a 2 year old device to something current. Let me know how much the playbook 4g cost.
    11-05-12 12:56 PM
    Have you tried AutoPlay Media Player? It's in AppWorld (on sale right now for $.99) and it bookmarks your videos. I was hesitant at first but it's great and takes the frustration out of watching movies on my pb.
    11-05-12 01:12 PM
    The hardware in the PlayBook is top notch.

Operating System? Just terrible, useless as mule.

iOS + Swipe Transition + PlayBook = Awesome Tablet
    11-05-12 01:25 PM
    Where did you see that pricing for the "Playbook 64GB LTE" you reference?

RCK

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    I Googled it. Here's what TechCrunch has to say about it, or at least the 32GB version of it.

The 32GB 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook Is Now Available From Canadian Carriers For $550 | TechCrunch
    11-05-12 01:42 PM
    I Googled it. Here's what TechCrunch has to say about it, or at least the 32GB version of it.

The 32GB 4G LTE BlackBerry PlayBook Is Now Available From Canadian Carriers For $550 | TechCrunch
    why purchase a mini instead of ipad 2. how much difference is there. other that $70

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
    11-05-12 01:57 PM
    why purchase a mini instead of ipad 2. how much difference is there. other that $70

maybe someone who doesnt want a 10 inch tablet...
    11-05-12 02:05 PM
    maybe someone who doesnt want a 10 inch tablet...
    to this day i still here how the 10 inch so much better than 7 inch for watching movies and any other video. so if they need to get in the 7inch market i need better prices if u going to offer me a smaller ipad2

11-05-12 02:17 PM
    Ironically they are comparable as the PlayBook and the iPad 2 which the iPad Mini is based on are contemporaries. Both PB and iPad 2 were priced at $500 U.S. on release, the PB was seen as a lesser device because the PB has a 7 inch screen. Now Apple may be cutting corners with a cheaper screen (reports of bubbling when you touch screen ) and a lesser build quality overall. Jimmy Kimmel sums up the iPad Mini scathingly. https: gdata_player
    That YouTube clip is very funny. Thanks for posting it.

And by the way. Apple isn't having too good a time in the U.K. Besides getting a slamming from a High Court Judge in the Samsung case they have also been exposed for clever tax corporate tax dodging. I enjoy the hammering they get in The Guardian newspaper whenever they review one of the big core's products. I'm starting to think that more people are getting fed up with Apple and have wised up to their questionable practices.

Now is the time for RIM to jump in with something good but I won't cross my fingers.

11-05-12 02:33 PM
    I've been saying that about the iPods since center it came out lol... It holds true, no matter how good the device actually performs - it is a gigantic iPods.

Apple said they already sold 3million units. I bet some of those were people that wanted a tablets, didn't want the iPad because it was too big but also didn't want to leave the iOS "ecosystem".

Good for them. They can have their dream device now.

Oh, yeah, did you guys see that impressive actually said that right now, the PlayBook is the best tablet out there?
    11-05-12 04:44 PM
    A. It's funny that you call other people sheeple. You sound way too passionate about RIM. That itself already sounds like a sheeple. Let me know what relationship you have with RIM beside being a customer. Then you went on the usually " fart app" rant. Some would say you can't think for yourself, and using everyone else materials and following it. Sounds like a sheeple to me. Also, not to mention the fart app argument doesn't even make sense. It already been beaten to death.

My relationship to RIM is that I am on here to read about blackberry related articles, if I wanted apple news I would sign up for imore. The reason I called the sheeple card is because if you look at the users who post no Skype or Netflix dont even own a blackberry device but post the same drivel. And the fact I buy into a device that let's me decide when I want to replace my own battery or change my internal storage clearly shows I can think for myself and not be spoon fed how my device is. And the fart app argument has been beat to death, but watch what any new iphone user downloads, aside from Facebook it is a fart app, that is from the superior selection of apps.

B. When is having the newest OS means anything? let me know how WebOS or WP7.8 worked out. An OS without support its crap. I can care less if its from RIM, APPLE, GOOGLE or MSFT. You make a device, you better have support, or else is dead. No one cares if you can swipe left/right/up/down. Big deal. You swipe from your browser to your music player. Let me know when you can do more with it.

An os without support? A faulty wifi antenna being blamed on the customer and turn your camera away from the light solution the better support for a os?

C. Wasn't Playbook retail 499? same as ipad? don't think RIM wanted to sell for that price? don't make a comparison to a firesale and a 2 year old device to something current. Let me know how much the playbook 4g cost.
    Sure was retailed for that. The point I was making is the playbook is older and STILL has better hardware than what apple is pushing as the latest and greatest. Guess when your sitting in starbucks discussing with other apple users about how great os 6.71 is going to be you forget to see how the rest of the world is progressing into something better than apple, may want to wake up to what the world has to offer cause you may miss something great.

Have a great day.
    11-05-12 04:56 PM
    Wow. For me, an iPad without retina display is like a Playbook without email. I guess I will have to wait 6 months for the hardware upgrade.
    11-05-12 08:19 PM
37 12