I just bought a Playbook when I was looking for an ebook reader. I never really used a Blackberry device before. I have tried iOS and Android tablets before.

I admit that I only looked at the PB in the first place because they sell the 16 GB model for 189 Euros here. I still don't like its industrial design very much. But when I tried it I was surprised how snappy the OS is. The (true) multitasking is amazing. It works much better than Android while iOS has no real multitasking in the first place. I also liked the gestures. So I bought one and have not regretted it yet. I think the OS is the most underrated tablet OS on the market. I can’t wait for BB10. I think RIM has a chance since the tablet market is not saturated yet.

I think the PB 2.0 / BB10 platform has a lot of potential. But for a start RIM has to improve the hardware design to make it look "cooler". Without its price tag I would have ignored it in the store since I never cared about the BlackBerry brand. I would love to have something like a 7" Asus Transformer prime running BB10. Maybe RIM should consider licensing the OS to other OEMs.

Not only because of Apple. A 7" iPad would out sell the PB right now even when priced twice as much. But later this year also Windows 8 tablets with the Metro UI will hit the market.
    05-19-12 09:07 AM
    Ok heres the bottom line. I have owned blackberries for 10 years including the playbook, but lets be honest RIM can no longer compete with Apple. Recently I switched from my trusty blackberry to an iphone 4s. The main reason was the delay in bb10 which may never happen. I also purchased the new ipad at the same time.

The interface and ease of these two devices that share identical platforms is astounding. When you pair apple tv with them it kills any platform out there. Thats the reason ipad is a category conqueror, apps and userfriendliness.

New ipad vs bb playbook

Retina screen better
    Ipad processor faster
    Resolution better
    More apps and better apps
    Web browsing faster
    Apple tv and airplay better than hdmi out on pb
    Has netflix pandora etc

I still like my playbook for its small form factor however overall the pb is a 7 and the new ipad is a 10.

In fact the iphone with the mophie charger lasts 2-3 times longer than any blackberry and the pb only has 60% of the battery life of an ipad.

RIM has a bleak future in consumer market
    05-25-12 10:31 PM
    I think if BB10 makes its way to the PlayBook you'll see PB as a more serious competitor in the 7" tablet space. The existing hardware is really wonderful, it's the software that's a disappointment, and this is coming from a long time BB user.
    05-27-12 12:53 PM
    Ok heres the bottom line. I have owned blackberries for 10 years including the playbook, but lets be honest RIM can no longer compete with Apple. Recently I switched from my trusty blackberry to an iphone 4s. The main reason was the delay in bb10 which may never happen. I also purchased the new ipad at the same time.

The interface and ease of these two devices that share identical platforms is astounding. When you pair apple tv with them it kills any platform out there. Thats the reason ipad is a category conqueror, apps and userfriendliness.

New ipad vs bb playbook

Retina screen better
    Ipad processor faster
    Resolution better
    Web browsing faster
    Has netflix pandora etc

I still like my playbook for its small form factor however overall the pb is a 7 and the new ipad is a 10.

In fact the iphone with the mophie charger lasts 2-3 times longer than any blackberry and the pb only has 60% of the battery life of an ipad.

Here's another bottom line.

Ipad costs 2.5x what pb costs. Is it 2.5x better? No.
    05-27-12 01:08 PM

New ipad vs bb playbook

Retina screen better
    Ipad processor faster
    Resolution better
    Web browsing faster
    Has netflix pandora etc

News flash,

You're comparing a 2011 tablet to a 2012 tablet. No tech reviewer in their right mind (including me) would compare those two devices. Some folks in the tech community also argue that the PlayBook being a 1st gen RIM tablet should be compared with the iPad 1, a first gen Apple tablet, although I think the most fair comparison is the iPad 2 vs the PlayBook.

Obviously the iPad is going to have a bigger battery,

Again 7 inch display compared to a 9.7 inch higher resolution display, you're not doing a good job (heck not even a half decent job) in your comparison.

Let Apple put a 5300 mAh battery in the new iPad and see which tablet has better battery life.
    Last edited by goku_vegeta; 05-27-12 at 01:35 PM.
    05-27-12 01:33 PM

New ipad vs bb playbook

Retina screen better
    Ipad processor faster
    Resolution better
    Web browsing faster
    Has netflix pandora etc

Listening to Pandora while typing this, Dolly Parton's 'Coat of many Colors'.

Really wanted to say that I like the hdmi out better then Apple TV, because it is easier to connect to different tvs then an Apple TV.
    05-27-12 01:49 PM
    Here here! Ipad costs more money. Apple is not the only player, and RIM is not competing against Apple necessarily. I think they are competing against the huge number of Android offerings in that price range.

I will never buy Apple, period. And most of the world won't either because they can't afford it, especially given the value for the money that Android and RIM plans provide.

There will never be an iPad mini because Apple has no reason to compete with itself, as the iPad 10" is already selling well. Even if a 7" model comes out, it will not be sold at $200 range unless Apple decides it no longer wants to make huge profits.

Amazon's Kindle Fire is already sold at cost because Amazon is betting on content sales. Unless Apple is willing to do the same under-cutting price level to prop up their iTunes content sales (or sell advertising space to automatically appear on your iPad), then I do not think it will happen.

RIM has a niche space which it can do well in. It does not have to compete with Apple to survive. And the Playbook can be considered a strategic move to increase developer interest and apps for their BB10 lines of phones, not an "end product" in itself.

RIM did not have to market a tablet to make money. In fact, it probably lost if not break even. However, it did get an army of developers ready to populate the next gen of RIM phones, which has been and will remain RIM's main business along with security and mobile device management.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-27-12 02:29 PM
    If he rumors are true... Then RIM and everyone else in the 7" tablet world is in trouble. Especially if Apple prices it in the $200 range and phases out the iPod touch.

If this rumored tablet comes before Christmas... Look out! Updated OS, Facetime, free texting & all the apps... Yeah, I'd say that the tablet market would change drastically. I'm keeping my PlayBook handy have no plans on switching to a 10" iPad... But a $200 iPad would be nice for the little things that the PlayBook doesn't do. (Skype, Netflix, Face Time,etc)... Not a fanboy... Just love technology.
    when then with a higher price, never near 200, more likely 300 to 400. But even this would be very bad for e.G. Samsung, they selling there better 7.x devices in this range or higher. (could be changed, is a few month since I checked )

A 7" ipad would probably also mean less sold larger ipads as well as less ipods etc.

But I could imaging that they will have to build one as the popularity of 7" is growing.
    05-27-12 02:37 PM
83 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD