Will the rumored ipad mini kill our beloved playbook? Why would apple released a 7inch ipad? That just tells you that they know that pb is the number 1 selling 7inch tablet and they want to take that away from RIM. Also if I remember correctly that Steve Jobs didn't want to make a 7inch ipad ever! I'm prettu sure it'll be the hottest thing when it does come out but I just hope that the PB will fight and show a good fight!!! What you all think? BE BOLD!!!
    MrNerdNet likes this.
    05-17-12 02:50 PM
    if they did release one i would think it just a small ipad, nothing new just a scaled down version, it would take off just because its apple, even minor changes to the phone still sold
    05-17-12 03:01 PM
    To be honest, If Apple release a 7inch version of the iPad, fully functional, top end spec's, at price points to match the Playbook, then it will set RIM back drastically in the Tablet market. If they gave it the ability to make phonecalls too, basically a giant iPhone, then it would be Apples move to pretty much stamp on the tablet market and crush out the competition. from all sides. Kindle, PB, and Android tabs would struggle to keep up.

But... it could be an overstrech for Apple, a company already facing criticism for many aspects. a 7 inch iPad would not only go against what Jobs said about there being no purpose for a 7 inch tablet. but it would also take resources and time which would better be spent working on the OS which is also under fire these days for being too restrictive and for not evolving to the extent other OS's have.

Apple are stagnating, and even hardcore Applefans are beginning to have a hard time defending it. iPad mini could crush all opposition in the tablet world, or it could serve to draw attention to the fact the itouch, iPhone, iPad and iPad mini are all just the same product, and Apple do nothing but sell you the product you already own time and time again.
    scott.slater and recompile like this.
    05-17-12 03:28 PM
    If you believe any rumors about upcoming apple devices then... Where is my iPhone5 and what is this thing called "4s"?
    scott.slater likes this.
    05-17-12 03:36 PM
    Will an imaginary device kill a real device?
    I doubt it. The imaginary device only has 8MB of storage.
    collapsed and mzceetee like this.
    05-17-12 03:41 PM
    If you have to ask that kind of question , you dont need to own a playbook at all and even post on a blackberry forum.....just saying
    05-17-12 03:44 PM
    The 16mb Playbook sells for just under $200. It is inconceivable to me that Apple will market anything at anywhere near that price. If there is an iPad mini, I'm willing to bet it's in the mid $300 to $400 range. As noted above, it will still be running an ageing OS, very proprietary and restrictive, etc. I'm not worried.
    05-17-12 04:06 PM
    If, and that's a big if, Apple offers a 7" tablet at a competitive pricepoint, then it's only due to the popularity and practicality of the 7" form factor. I rarely see iPads in the wild, and if I do, it's outside of an Apple store in the mall, or in a Starbucks. That aside, I see a lot of 7" tabs in the wild, from the PlayBook, to Nooks, Kindles, Android versions, etc. The 7" size is perfect for everyday mobility, and Apple only wants to tap into that market.
    05-17-12 04:10 PM
    Will a video enabled watch phone that projects an image on a wall that would allow you to step into the picture and experience it in 3D kill the playbook.....maybe. Rumors are rumors and need to be posted in the rumors thread. IMO
    Last edited by Hgouck; 05-17-12 at 04:33 PM.
    killa4luv and ilikebacon like this.
    05-17-12 04:12 PM
    I would be very interested if a 7-inch iPad came out, and that is a real possibility. But it would have to be done right.

They would not be able to compromise on anything, other than things they have to such as battery life. I'm surprised even the PlayBook has 64GB in the 7-inch form factor!

I have to admit, despite the price, I would be extremely tempted. Given how large the app selection is on the iPad.

But again, it would need to basically be the current iPad but at 7 inches. I kind of envision the PlayBook as a 7-inch iPad almost, other than the smaller app store at the moment. 64GB, video store, friendly software, good camera, etc.

I also think these are two different markets, even at the same size. There are people who would stick with the PlayBook even if a 7-inch iPad was out right now. If people really wanted an iPad, they might go with it regardless of size.

I would really be tempted. If it was perfection like Apple's other products, I might go for it.
    05-17-12 04:28 PM
    If he rumors are true... Then RIM and everyone else in the 7" tablet world is in trouble. Especially if Apple prices it in the $200 range and phases out the iPod touch.

If this rumored tablet comes before Christmas... Look out! Updated OS, Facetime, free texting & all the apps... Yeah, I'd say that the tablet market would change drastically. I'm keeping my PlayBook handy have no plans on switching to a 10" iPad... But a $200 iPad would be nice for the little things that the PlayBook doesn't do. (Skype, Netflix, Face Time,etc)... Not a fanboy... Just love technology.
    fbloise likes this.
    05-17-12 04:33 PM
    I think the rumor is under $300 but not at the $200 price tag. I think $250 is rumored as a base price. So yeah for $50 more than a PB and with the new iOS which is suppose to be seeing a shakeup its going to make RIM work a little harder for each sale. Just like every 10" tab is right now
    05-17-12 04:41 PM
    The 16mb Playbook sells for just under $200. It is inconceivable to me that Apple will market anything at anywhere near that price. If there is an iPad mini, I'm willing to bet it's in the mid $300 to $400 range. As noted above, it will still be running an ageing OS, very proprietary and restrictive, etc. I'm not worried.
    It is equally inconceivable that RIM can continue selling the Playbook once they've liquidated the current PBs.

As for iOS being aging, well, it's as aging as QNX. They both share the same ancestry and can further evolve.
    fbloise likes this.
    05-17-12 04:48 PM
    Will the rumored ipad mini kill our beloved playbook? Why would apple released a 7inch ipad? That just tells you that they know that pb is the number 1 selling 7inch tablet and they want to take that away from RIM. Also if I remember correctly that Steve Jobs didn't want to make a 7inch ipad ever! I'm prettu sure it'll be the hottest thing when it does come out but I just hope that the PB will fight and show a good fight!!! What you all think? BE BOLD!!!
    The Playbook is not the number 1 selling 7-incher.
    cdelcampo216 and fbloise like this.
    05-17-12 04:50 PM
    Let's be real here. It's Apple and Apple = popular. As a result iPad =popular. For the most part most people are uneducated when it comes to what they want. Regardless of what their needs are, people tend to get what's popular. If this iPad mini comes to fruition, people are going to walk into stores and say "I want an iPad" then they're gonna see the mini for $250 or whatever it is and be like "Ohhh an iPad for only $250. I have to get it", and then apple is going to sell millions again. Unless it has a overheating problem that is 5 times as bad as the last one and doesn't connect to a network while in motion and the screen shatters if you breathe on it, it's gonna be a success and it's gonna break records, again. Other companies like RIM just have to keep working hard to boost their image and produce quality products. Eventually they will get some good press and things will change again.
    Laridae and LewLew23 like this.
    05-17-12 04:58 PM
    If you have to ask that kind of question , you dont need to own a playbook at all and even post on a blackberry forum.....just saying
    I can asked any question I like or start any threads that I want to start. I own a blackberry storm and a 16g playbook. What is wrong with asking these kinds of question? I am not what you might call a "troll", I LOVE my playbook and my storm and looking so much forward to BB10.

Users like you that attack or insult other users like myself because I started a thread that compares playbook to apple product is what makes this forum useless. I am aware that there are "trolls" in this forums but sad to report to you that I am not one of them.................just sayin!!! BE BOLD!!!
    derrickps3 likes this.
    05-17-12 05:02 PM
    Well that will certainly put the fox among the chickens.
    vegetto_456 likes this.
    05-17-12 05:06 PM
    if they did release one i would think it just a small ipad, nothing new just a scaled down version, it would take off just because its apple, even minor changes to the phone still sold
    That's why I am worried. I've tried converting some family members to buy a playbook but they all seems delusional and stuck on buying apple products. I think I am the only blackberry owner in my family circle and to be honest I love being the black sheep!!! BE BOLD!!!
    scott.slater likes this.
    05-17-12 05:10 PM
    all i have to say is if they do then the marketing plan should be .... The maxi pad and mini pad.. a pad for all occasions... LOL
    05-17-12 05:12 PM
    The magic iPad experience simply cannot be shoe-horned into a 7" tablet.

If they were to ship such a tablet, it would be dead on arrival.

At least, that's basically what some guy once said...
    scott.slater likes this.
    05-17-12 05:17 PM
    That's why I am worried. I've tried converting some family members to buy a playbook but they all seems delusional and stuck on buying apple products. I think I am the only blackberry owner in my family circle and to be honest I love being the black sheep!!! BE BOLD!!!
    Maybe not as delusional as you might think.

I love my BBerrys also, and I tried Playbook. Loved the size, but its so far behind iPad it isn't even funny...and NO, I don't enjoy saying that. Theres people who pay $500+ for an iPad just to carry it around and be trendy...but theres many more that need a tool and iPad just works - so far it works FAR better than a playbook (at any price)

Playbook has so much potential, but theres a pretty good chance it won't ever get there before getting run over.

Its not always cool to simply buck a trend, in fact, that in itself has grown long in the tooth.
    05-17-12 05:17 PM
    Who cares what Apple does its the same thing over and over again I bought the first iPad when they came out and used it quite a bit but when I bought my playbook the iCrap sits on the table doing nothing apple does not impress me at all in my mind they kind of remind me of commodore Vic 20 in the 80's only financially more successful..........but that's just me
    05-17-12 05:27 PM
    If you think mini iPad will be DOA, think of it this way. We have a 7 inch tablet that had considerably worse hardware than the Playbook and ran on a highly proprietary and modified version of Android 2.X. And that tablet sold 5 times as many units in just 2 quarters as the Playbook sold in one year.

Well, I predict that iPad mini will sell more units on the launch day than there are Playbooks. Of course, if it is ever released.

That's the power of an ecosystem, brand reputation, and product quality combined.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-17-12 at 05:40 PM.
    Rello, fbloise and jivegirl14 like this.
    05-17-12 05:36 PM
    If the said "ipad mini" come with a new OS then it will be something, but if it still iOS5, i dont see it will be a big hit, as people who have ipad "most" likely have iphones, so they'll be carrying a small-medium-large iOS device? haha
    05-17-12 05:42 PM
    If the said "ipad mini" come with a new OS then it will be something, but if it still iOS5, i dont see it will be a big hit, as people who have ipad "most" likely have iphones, so they'll be carrying a small-medium-large iOS device? haha
    Are you saying few people will buy the PB2 if it is released in a 7inch form factor as well?
    05-17-12 05:48 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD