I have owned an iPad since just after it dropped. I have owned a Playbook since the day it dropped. I have looked forward to the Playbook since the day it was announced. I have only owned BlackBerrys for the past five years.

Reasons I love the Playbook:
    -size
    -build quality
    -multitasking
    -it is made by RIM
    -beautiful screen

Reasons I hate the Playbook:
    -no native email
    -no native calendar
    -no video chat
    -not the best battery life
    -no BBM
    -can�t access files from my 9780
    -wifi keeps dropping
    -lacking apps

All of this I truly believe to be easily rectified by future OS updates, and I am SO excited for all this to be added.

The reason I am writing this post at 4:30AM�drunk�after coming home from the bar: my girlfriend has a favourite song that she loves to hear when we get home from the bar! When we walk through the door, she runs to my desktop to play the song. I run over and hit ALT+F4 and shut down the computer, and say: NO! Let�s hear it on my brand new Playbook! She, being the most wonderful, puts up with me for almost 10 minutes as I try to make it play on my Playbook. Between the browser failing, the wifi dropping, and the youTube app not working I have admit red-faced that my brand new $600.00 device will not play the video. She goes and grabs my iPad, and within seconds is watching her beloved video on my iPad.

FML

Do I give the Playbook a chance?
    lindros2 likes this.
    04-21-11 03:22 AM
    Come back when you are sober and let us know if you still got some nookie.. if so, then hold out for some software updates and give it a shot.. if not, return that sucker first thing in the morning.. lmao!

I kid, I kid.. hang onto it, there should be an update or two before your return policy is up, give it a shot. I dunno about you but I've had some pretty crappy times with my iPad 1 and 2.. iPad 1 especially, I went a long time with crappy WiFi due to the OS and then an update came and fixed it.

It's new.. and no, it's not 100% polished, but it is one of those things that will get better. It actually hurts me to say that, but this time around for RIM it is true unlike the whole Storm mess which was never going to get better due to the limitations on hardware and reliance upon carriers.
    FoxxBerry, Pete6, Yuongn and 1 others like this.
    04-21-11 03:34 AM
    I have owned an iPad since just after it dropped. I have owned a Playbook since the day it dropped. I have looked forward to the Playbook since the day it was announced. I have only owned BlackBerrys for the past five years.

-size
    -build quality
    -multitasking
    -it is made by RIM
    -beautiful screen

-no native email
    -no native calendar
    -no video chat
    -no BBM
    -wifi keeps dropping
    -lacking apps

All of this I truly believe to be easily rectified by future OS updates, and I am SO excited for all this to be added.

The reason I am writing this post at 4:30AM�drunk�after coming home from the bar: my girlfriend has a favourite song that she loves to hear when we get home from the bar! When we walk through the door, she runs to my desktop to play the song. I run over and hit ALT+F4 and shut down the computer, and say: NO! Let�s hear it on my brand new Playbook! She, being the most wonderful, puts up with me for almost 10 minutes as I try to make it play on my Playbook. Between the browser failing, the wifi dropping, and the youTube app not working I have admit red-faced that my brand new $600.00 device will not play the video. She goes and grabs my iPad, and within seconds is watching her beloved video on my iPad.

FML

Damn, I wouldn't have the patience for 10 minutes. Good drunk post, fume your anger for the overpriced item you bought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-11 03:40 AM

-no native email (coming with update)
    -no native calendar (coming with update)
    -no video chat (coming with update)
    -not the best battery life (I think its fine at 7+ hours)
    -no BBM (coming with update)
    -can’t access files from my 9780 (wifi file transfer works on mine)
    -wifi keeps dropping (never had this problem on mine)
    -lacking apps (android market announced, waiting for it)

Have some patience my man
    04-21-11 04:25 AM

I second that! Day...two? Give it some time please...lol

Cheers,
    04-21-11 04:32 AM
    in regards to the wifi issue. my net was really slow with my dlink router, mind you my router is two floors below me. anyways i went out and purchased a stronger router (linkysis E1000) now my net on my pb is flying.
    04-21-11 05:16 AM
    Originally Posted by .M.E.

-no native email (coming with update)
    -no native calendar (coming with update)
    -no video chat (coming with update)
    -not the best battery life (I think its fine at 7+ hours)
    -no BBM (coming with update)
    -can�t access files from my 9780 (wifi file transfer works on mine)
    -wifi keeps dropping (never had this problem on mine)
    -lacking apps (android market announced, waiting for it)
    you dont see anything wrong with that list? why wait for all of that. return the thing and then get it once all of those are actually there
    iN8ter, Machzy and Setanta like this.
    04-21-11 05:21 AM
    Coming home in those conditions fiddling with any tech is the last thing on my mind my friend.
    04-21-11 06:22 AM
    The iPad is not a Playbook, I wouldn't waste time comparing them. A lot of fantastic developers are producing eye-popping apps for the iPad and they're getting little recognition for it. Apple gets the halo instead. Funny thing is, I've already got as many apps on my Playbook as I've put on my iPod touch. Angry birds is definitely not Need for Speed so again, no need to compare.
    04-21-11 06:50 AM
    Kinda unfair comparison because the ipad os has about a year worth of updates ahead the PB os.

04-21-11 06:56 AM
    Hope you weren't driving.

04-21-11 07:05 AM
    The playbook isn't competing with a launch iPad. It's competing with an iPad 2 with a year worth of OS updates.

I have no clue why people keep using that crutch. WebOS and WP7 users are doing the same thing ("so and so didn't have such and such on release either!").

People considering both devices right now won't care what the iPad's software was like a year ago, nor will most of them care what's "coming."

If you're gonna go off of what's "coming" then I guess a Honeycomb tablet is just as good seeing as how it has most of what the playbook is missing right now off the bat, and there will be cheaper tablets (like the ASUS, $399 for a 16GB WiFi Tablet) coming out pretty soon, right?
    Setanta likes this.
    04-21-11 07:08 AM
    finally a valid comment...

it really really doesnt matter who or how many think the iPad sucked... it was all total sour grapes.. the iPad was first, and so could in fact, suck and still be #1, most successful and best in class.. it had no competition!

what was totally laughable is the folks at RIM who compared the Playbook to a one year old iPad and patted themselves on the back for fast browsing times.. hello folks the goal posts are racing away at light speed!!!..

So..the competitor is the iPad2, Xoom and the soon host of similar sized android powered tablets... the market is maturing and the consumers have expectations of certain functionality...

The PB needed to show up ready to play.. not come hobbling into school with a limp and a doctors note...

The playbook isn't competing with a launch iPad. It's competing with an iPad 2 with a year worth of OS updates.

I have no clue why people keep using that crutch. WebOS and WP7 users are doing the same thing ("so and so didn't have such and such on release either!").

People considering both devices right now won't care what the iPad's software was like a year ago, nor will most of them care what's "coming."

If you're gonna go off of what's "coming" then I guess a Honeycomb tablet is just as good seeing as how it has most of what the playbook is missing right now off the bat, and there will be cheaper tablets (like the ASUS, $399 for a 16GB WiFi Tablet) coming out pretty soon, right?
    Setanta likes this.
    04-21-11 07:32 AM
    The iPad is not a Playbook, I wouldn't waste time comparing them. A lot of fantastic developers are producing eye-popping apps for the iPad and they're getting little recognition for it. Apple gets the halo instead. Funny thing is, I've already got as many apps on my Playbook as I've put on my iPod touch. Angry birds is definitely not Need for Speed so again, no need to compare.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the PlayBook, but I also love Apple products, and Angry Birds isn't NFS, but iPad and iPhone have three NFS games, so don't compare.
    04-21-11 07:39 AM
    Yep, real sorry that the Playbook didn't get ya laid after you spent the $$ to get her drunk.
    Deathcommand likes this.
    04-21-11 07:39 AM
    I could see where the more technical Playbook may be hard to manipulate when intoxicated. Kids and drunkards should still to the more simple IU on the iPad.
    04-21-11 07:49 AM
    what was totally laughable is the folks at RIM who compared the Playbook to a one year old iPad and patted themselves on the back for fast browsing times..
    Where did you see RIM do that comparison? Just curious, I had not read that yet...
    04-21-11 07:51 AM
    Where did you see RIM do that comparison? Just curious, I had not read that yet...
    04-21-11 08:00 AM

This is a great point...

I own the iPad2 and it is smooth and very refined. For a geek like me, I won't mind messing with a new device to get it to work. But, many folks want something that is humming right out of the box. Most people expect things to work well from the start.
    04-21-11 08:01 AM
    OP, your drunk posts are better than most sober ones.

Most reviewers who bothered to mention the iPad in their PB review made it very clear that the PB was no competition for the iPad. It shouldn't even be considered in the same category. They preferred to compare it to the likes of the GTab and Streak.

Products that set themselves up as iDevice killers tend to die bad deaths rather quickly. A Streak killer, the PB may well be.
    04-21-11 08:07 AM
    Your post=FAIL!

-size
    -build quality
    -multitasking
    -it is made by RIM
    -beautiful screen

-no native email
    -no native calendar
    -no video chat
    -no BBM
    -wifi keeps dropping
    -lacking apps

FML

04-21-11 08:14 AM
    I've used an iPad and an iPad2. I liked both. I now have a PlayBook. I knew the PlayBook was going to require some 'time' to mature if you will, but there were certain things missing at launch ( BBM and for many, myself included, the bridge). They were expected to be there because thats what RIM told us would be there. Then come launch day, 'Surprise, we are still working on that! Be a couple weeks, fret not. '

So I've now spent $790 after tax for a very lovely piece of hardware that at this point has left me more disappointed than elated. Its now April 21 and BlackBerry Bridge is STILL NOT available for download in App World for me. (I did use the Crackberry provided workaround so I have it, but thats certainly no credit to RIM). And its very nice that I can read and respond to my emails on the PlayBook, but I can't access links that were sent to me, as well as a few other email short comings that have been mentioned elsewhere.

Is the iPad better? Maybe for some people. But then the Xoom and Galaxy are better to some as well. Its all in your perspective. I have 12 days left on my 14 day return policy, and if things don't ramp up soon with regards to updates and more user function I will be taking advantage of that 14 day policy. I'm tied of waiting.

We have all waited a very long time for this product. And as I mentioned, I did not expect perfection out of the gate. But I did expect more than I got. And I also expect RIM to start being more communicative with its customers. "BBM will be available in a couple of weeks" doesn't cut it. "Android apps will be available this summer"....and the PlayBook was coming out Q1 as well. When will we get what we were expecting? Its anyones guess really.

Right now I feel like I replaced a perfectly good netbook (that I got for $200) with an $800 web browser. Thats not sitting well with me. I told my wife all the wonderful things the PlayBook would do hence her agreement to spend that money. Now I have it and she has asked to see all the wonder. All I can say is "Its coming", and then show her some YouTube videos and the wonderful browser.

So in conclusion, RIM has 11 days to 'wow' me or my PlayBook goes back. I will revisit it later down the road after some of the bugs are worked out and it has greater functionality. Is the iPad better? It may or may not be, but it certainly has a better user experience within the first couple of days. I don't know about a lot of you, but I'm not sitting on an $800 'box of wishes and promises' waiting for RIM to figure it all out. I've spent the last few months defending RIM and the PlayBook and now I have one...and I've spent yesterday trying to defend it to myself. I want to love the thing, but for now I just like it. And at almost $800 out of pocket I need more than like.

Thanks for enduring this long ramble. I just needed to verbalize what was on my mind regarding my experience with my PlayBook. For those of you that are loving yours, thats awesome and I'm very happy for you. I hope I can join in on that soon.

Cheers.
    04-21-11 08:35 AM
    Youre right its not an ipad
    04-21-11 08:46 AM
    No, no, the Mystic said that RIM did the comparison...
    04-21-11 09:15 AM
    You don't want to compare because the PlayBook loses the comparison. Both "Angry Birds" and "Need For Speed" are available for iOS. In fact, there are actually three different versions of "Need for Speed": Hot Pursuit, Shift and Joystick. Each is iPad-optimized. Of course there are multiple "Angry Birds" apps also.
    OMG!!!! Based on that I have to get an iPad now~!
    andyahs likes this.
    04-21-11 09:18 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD