So, with the highly anticipated iPad3 announcement looming (now announced, specs below), will playbook still be able to draw new adopters or will it fall to the wayside in the tablet wars?

I for one love the playbook over my iPad2 for many reasons. Many have predicted that iPad3 could deliver the knock out blow to playbook. What are your thoughts moving forward in an iPad3 vs PlayBook OS2 world? Can PlayBook still gain much needed market share even at 200.00 pricing in an iPad3 hyped up environment? Can it stand out as a relevant alternative to iPad3 and others? I sure hope so...

Did I mention I love my playbook!

iPad3 specs

Features include:
    •Retina display at 2024�1536.
    •A5X chipset with quad-core graphics.
    •5 megapixel rear camera, IR filter, autofocus and white balance, face detection (essentially iPhone 4 camera with iPhone 4S software)
    •1080p HD video recording
    •Dictation (not Siri, alas)
    •LTE 4G networking 72mbps, HSPA+ up to 42mbps
    •9 hours battery life on 4G!

- 9.4mm thin, weighing 1.4lbs.
    - $499 for 16GB, 32GB is $599 and 64GB for $699.
    - 4G iPad wil be priced at: $629, $729 and $829.
    •New iPad available on March 16th.
    Last edited by Coach101; 03-07-12 at 01:02 PM. Reason: change past tense to current
    Rob-john_com likes this.
    03-06-12 08:24 PM
    it'll probably have more market share than android tablets but it'll never catch up to the ipad. i also found out at work (best buy) that we won't be getting any more 64gig playbooks in stock and all of our signs have changed to 'only 16 and 32 models available' no mention of 64gig.
    03-06-12 08:35 PM
    Some advantages the playbook still has is it's not the same size, it interacts with the phone, it's great hardware and it's less expensive, AND the big one...QNX and the easy-to-use swiping OS with brilliant multi-tasking ease - when compared to other tablets

RIM definitely needs to give us the 'TAT' stuff they demoed at various conferences. That kind of stuff will make the playbook irresistible post iPad3.

I'm eagerly waiting for what's coming up this year from RIM They can definitely be successful in the tablet market.
    Last edited by anthogag; 03-06-12 at 09:09 PM.
    03-06-12 08:37 PM
    I don't understand your post at all.... I do not own a PB as it is short of apps that are critical to me, however if I was happy with a PB why would I consider an iPad 3?.. Even with an iPad I don't want an iPad 3..
    Competition and pressure on PB will predominantly be from the android tablets, which are making far greater leaps and bounds in os and specs than apple is..
    03-06-12 08:37 PM
    These posts make no sense. No offense to the OP, but really.. "Oh noe, Apple released a new iPad.. we should just all stop making tablets now" <- No one is saying that.

Sincerely,

An iPad 2, PlayBook, Motorola Xoom owner.
    03-06-12 08:42 PM
    I'm honestly surprised at the extent of the upsurge of PB sales associated with OS 2, given that the iPad 3 had already been, for all intents and purposes, officially announced. I figured that most people who were thinking about a PB would wait to see what the next Apple tablet brings to the table. Fortunately for RIM, I was wrong.

I predict that when the new iPad does drop, PB sales will tank, and won't start heading north again until either a host of killer native apps appears in App World, a new OS update adds a significant number of amazing new features, or strong sales of BB10 phones drives new interest. Frankly, I expect that even all three of those won't be enough to breathe life onto the old girl, and if PB sales ever do hit respectable levels, it won't be until early 2015, when the last of the 2-year contracts on pre-BB10 phones run out, and 75% of all BB devices are running the same OS.

Until the PB can compete for market share against the iPad, it's going to have to battle against Android tablets in a smaller market -- and while Apple fans tend to be driven by image and public opinion, Android fans tend to be more politco-religious fanatics for the cause. And compared to the iPad, fanaticism is hard to compete against.

The other thing that could drive PB sales sooner would be if the new iPad is somehow an embarrassing failure for Apple, and all those image-conscious hipsters who only bought one because everybody else said they were great suddenly start buying the next thing that they're told is totally cool -- and what's cooler for a hipster than the thing they can say they knew was cool before their friends did; the good old PlayBook?
    Last edited by cletis; 03-06-12 at 08:58 PM.
    03-06-12 08:52 PM
    We'll have to wait for the launch to know for sure, but I expect iPad HD sales to fall in the low range of projections.
    03-06-12 08:52 PM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Playbook 2.0 > Ipad 3 .... IMO .....
    recompile and Cracklen like this.
    03-06-12 08:58 PM
    PlayBook is not going to unseat iPad anytime soon from the #1 seat. But just cause you can't take top spot doesn't mean you just stop trying and don't take a shot at #2 or #3.
    03-06-12 08:59 PM
    A year ago I cross shopped my PB with an iPad2. Back then pretty much all tablets were positioned and priced the same (i.e @ iPad). Today I would not do that as they are completely different price points and positioned differently in the market.

Today I'd still buy a PB and keep the extra 3 or 4 hundred price difference.
    03-06-12 08:59 PM
    The odds of me buying an ipad 3 - 0%

The odds of me continuing to love my Playbook - 100%

Nuff Said
    03-06-12 09:01 PM
    These posts make no sense. No offense to the OP, but really.. "Oh noe, Apple released a new iPad.. we should just all stop making tablets now" <- No one is saying that.

Sincerely,

Bla1ze the point of the post is to simply ask if people think RIM can continue to gain market share with the playbook especially with a highly sought after iPad3 entering the fray. No market share, no demand for product means no sales, no profit and no future investment in the tablet market
    03-06-12 09:03 PM
    I don't see the two as truly being in competition. They serve different purposes ipad certainly can't do what PlayBook can.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-06-12 09:11 PM
    here is my theory. this is just based on looking at the forums and seeing the numbers on what percentage of people have an apple vs google vs rim.

the playbook is a very solid device. it does exactly what it is designed to do. that, in my eyes, makes it a good product. after all, the main goal of designing something is getting it to do what you want it to do, right? i believe that people are associating the playbook with a blackberry smartphone(which in some cases is correct), and thinking they have to have to have the smartphone to make the tablet run(this is also true in some cases, but i have not even looked at PB OS2, as I am far from even interested in rim products anymore so I have no ideas of the upgrades other than native email). If RIM made the playbook, do everything that the ipad/google tablets do, maybe they might sell more.

just my thoughts from the average person on the average person. feel free to flame me if you want, i won't fight back.
    03-06-12 09:19 PM
    I thought the iPad already killed every other tablet. But seriously they will sell a lot because they always do and people will be camping out so they can get one before they run out of manipulated farced stock and then have to wait to get one that has been sitting there the whole time.
    03-06-12 09:23 PM
    It's too early to have this post... We will know in less than 24 Hours the features of the iPad 3.

If it's just a revamped screen, with LTE, with Siri and better hardware... But same iOS...I may find it difficult to switch to iPad given how expensive will that be.
    Hamp likes this.
    03-06-12 09:24 PM
    I think alot of you are forgetting that the playbook will still continue to do well in sales because of the best pricing of ANY tablet...if it stays at its current prices.
    03-06-12 09:52 PM
    unless Ipad 3 can cook, babysit my son and take the dog out I am not getting it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    ralfyguy and Hamp like this.
    03-06-12 09:53 PM
    There is plenty of room for multiple tablets in the market - whether iPad3 is available, or whether the iPad20 is available.

Why is ASUS & ACER able to exist alongside HP, IBM, DELL, etc? Different approaches, price points, etc, etc, etc!

RIM does not have to OWN and dominate the industry, especially with tablets (wth is a tablet anyways? Tablets are still defining their own existence IMO). Despite the early adoption of the iPad - it's all up for grabs IMO.

There is *PLENTY* of room for "good enough" devices in the tech world today. NetBooks should be enough evidence for that. Even if a product does LESS than another, - it will still meet some people's needs & budgets and can be a success.

If APPS today are what make a tablet - iPad is certainly where it's at. This same statement.... was always the argument to stay AWAY from Apple as a desktop platform. Sure you can do a few things great, but you may not get all the new blockbuster videogames & all those nearly irrelevent but sometimes useful PC apps.

How times change

Annnnnnnd what we're witnessing now is that things are changing even faster. So while I won't say Apple won't keep the 'tablet throne' for a while to come - what I will say is that people are fickle, and once something better comes along the market can change in an instant, the same as it has in the past.
    Last edited by BrizzadMan; 03-07-12 at 09:17 AM.
    Cozmik, Hamp, musical1806 and 1 others like this.
    03-06-12 09:58 PM

Sincerely,

Which do you prefer?
    and how do i get the search bar in my signature, that is perfect!
    03-06-12 10:00 PM
    If it's just a revamped screen, with LTE, with Siri and better hardware... But same iOS...I may find it difficult to switch to iPad given how expensive will that be.
    These are very important hardware/software upgrades that continue Apple's long tradition of not standing still, and improving their product. I can assure you with their recent track record that integration will be top-notch.

Where does this leads BB? They have to come up with an LTE, not HSPA, Playbook in order to get good press. Improve CPU speed/core, improve camera, improve software and INNOVATE by adding something new, better than the competition.
    03-06-12 10:02 PM
    Keep in mind that RIM has been ridiculed by recycling the same cpu for a second generation (Storm 1/2, Bold) or using dated cpu (no BB7 phone has dual-cores), coming up with 2G curves when everybody else was using 3G antennas. This is just on the hardware front...

lets not talk about legacy Java software with a 1995-ish black hourglass....
    03-06-12 10:05 PM
    Playbook 2.0 > Ipad 3 .... IMO .....
    You Mean Playbook 1 OS2 ... iPad 3 OS5
    03-06-12 10:12 PM
    Every year a new model of ANYTHING is released. These threads are getting annoying. I will also add it will be called the ipad HD
    Last edited by VanCity778; 03-06-12 at 10:22 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-06-12 10:20 PM
    It's too early to have this post... We will know in less than 24 Hours the features of the iPad 3.

The thing with Apple products is that they have high resale value, which means the present iPad2 owners can ditch their device and only spend about a hundred or so to get the iPad 3. Had you ditched your iPad when the iPad2 came out, you could have done the same. So, even with modest spec bumps, the iPad3 can do well, even if they don't attract truly new users.
    03-06-12 10:21 PM
355 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD