Every now and then, my Playbook IP address changes and I have to go through the process of updating the Computer Network IP address.

Is there a way to ensure that the computer sees the same Playbook IP address all the time without a change? Does the change take place with the Playbook or is it my D-Link (DIR-628) router which assigns these random IP addresses? Can anyone point me to a description of how to make sure that the Playbook's IP address stays the same?

Thanks,

johnreid
    06-18-12 04:21 PM
    Your router assigns the IP addresses - it is not abnormal for 1-few days lease times per IP address on a typical router.

There should be a way to statically assign IP addresses/leases on the router config page.

Alternatively, you can set a static IP on the PlayBook itself by editing wifi options for saved network.
    06-18-12 04:33 PM
    Here's what I've captured and used (and the original poster beat me to the punch). I've now used it on two pb's and also on my bb 9930 phone to establish static NON-changing addresses. It happens as your router connects or disconnects to other devices or if you reboot computer

Fixed or Static address

If you go to 'Wi-Fi' on your PlayBook and select 'Saved Networks' under 'Select a network', edit your wireless network and uncheck 'Automatically obtain IP address'... there you can set a static address for your PlayBook to use.

Your typical settings will be:

IP Address: 192.168.X.X (this will be your local network... if your linksys sits on 192.168.1.X then your IP can be anything between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254... obviously it can't be the same IP as your linksys or any active device on the network)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: (I use OpenDNS) 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220
    Default gateway: 192.168.X.X (the IP you use to access the linksys page)

It may be easier doing this on the linksys device it self... try and find a page which lets you enter a hostname, MAC address, IP address and lease time.
    ast_ph likes this.
    06-18-12 04:35 PM
    Can anyone point me to a description of how to make sure that the Playbook's IP address stays the same?
    Yes. Read your router manual. You can reserve an IP address for your PB and any other device you choose.
    06-18-12 05:43 PM
    A reservation is the way to go.
    06-18-12 05:53 PM
    :::

At your router, look for assign ip address by MAC address of your
    Playbook.

:::
    06-18-12 08:33 PM
    If you assign a static address to the Playbook, remember that if you go to another location (Starbucks for example), and want to access their WiFi, you'll need to change the setting again on your Playbook to automatically obtain an IP address.
    06-18-12 09:03 PM
    If you assign a static address to the Playbook, remember that if you go to another location (Starbucks for example), and want to access their WiFi, you'll need to change the setting again on your Playbook to automatically obtain an IP address.
    Not entirely sure that's true. I believe each saved WiFi connection has it's own setting on how to obtain its IP address when that connection is in use.
    06-18-12 10:28 PM
    Every now and then, my Playbook IP address changes and I have to go through the process of updating the Computer Network IP address.

Is there a way to ensure that the computer sees the same Playbook IP address all the time without a change? Does the change take place with the Playbook or is it my D-Link (DIR-628) router which assigns these random IP addresses? Can anyone point me to a description of how to make sure that the Playbook's IP address stays the same?

Thanks,

johnreid
    What Ive done, as I haven't done the reserved IP thing, is create a shortcut folder on my desktop that links to my media folder on my Playbook. If the IP address changes, when I click on the folder I will receive an error message. At that point, I simply right click on the folder to access the properities and change the last digit of the target ip address (it will be beside the word "Target"), press OK, and then I'm done.

Whole process takes less than 6 seconds.

My IP address of the Playbook regularly changes from XXX.XXX.X.XX0 to XXX.XXX.X.XX1.

So I just put a 0 or a 1 in and see which one works

I probably should figure out how to do this reserved IP thing but it seems complicated
    06-18-12 10:45 PM
    I am sure. This is completely wrong. Each WiFi profile has it's own settings.
    06-18-12 11:05 PM
    I don't know if that is true. So far in the many months I've had the static address, it has not interferred with using other wifi systems. I THINK that the static settings "belong" to the SAVED wifi network/settings that you edit and are not general for any other wifi.
    06-18-12 11:59 PM
    Than I stand corrected ...didn't realize that, so thanks for the info - much appreciated!
    06-19-12 10:33 AM
    On a small home network there is no reason to even rely on DHCP (method your router uses to pass out addresses from a "pool" of reserved addresses).

Setting a static IP on your PlayBook will enable it to connect to your network almost instantly. Just make sure the address you assign it is outside the range of addresses in the DHCP pool.

Another option if you really want to leave the PlayBook IP as dynamic; see if your router supports assignment of IP addresses based on the MAC addresses of connected devices. If so find your MAC address on the PlayBook and set the router to always hand the PlayBook the same IP address based on its MAC address.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-19-12 10:53 AM
    Thanks to all who replied. I learned a great deal about the router. I intend to look into the router settings and set up one of my Playbooks with a permenant address. If I run into troubles, I'll be back!

johnreid
    saudadeii likes this.
    06-19-12 03:19 PM
    Thanks to all who replied. I learned a great deal about the router. I intend to look into the router settings and set up one of my Playbooks with a permenant address. If I run into troubles, I'll be back!

johnreid
    Yes. Some routers do not support assignment of IP addresses based on MAC addresses. But perhaps you have one that does.
    06-20-12 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD