05-29-13 10:31 PM
225 ... 6789
tools
    Hi Friends,
    Does anyone has the solution to be able to access the MAC Apple site www.ME.COM or the Find my Iphone from your Playbook. When I try to access this site from my Playbook I get an error which says YOUR BROWSER IS NOT SUPPORTED. Any solutions to go around this problem I'm encountering on my new PLAYBOOK 64GB?
    REGARDS AND THANKS, KONDOR
    IF POSSIBLE EMAIL ME TO
    JACKKONDOR@MAC.COM
    I went to that site and it did display that error message, however it also provided a "continue" button, which took me to the login page.
    06-08-11 12:11 PM
    Hi Takeo,

Coming from an iOS and Android developer. (and still Android user.)

----

I think you bring up some very valid points with iOS5. It's clear that Apple is keeping an eye on the competition and making incremental updates to keep up with them. Note that RIM's music service is already cloud based, as is Amazon's.

I believe that after many years iOS is now a very stable and great OS from a consumer stand-point. From a developer perspective, well that's debatable. So many hardware revisions out there and different scenarios to program for is making it very difficult for developers to support. It has been a similar issue with Android 2.2, which is why Honeycomb standardization is such a welcome update.

We should note that although that iOS may do a form of multitasking for Apple built background services, it does app switching for dev apps (or as Apple tells us it's called 'fast app switching' where if you move to a different app, the app still sits in memory---but it doesn't get any CPU cycles, so it does NOT continue to run.

I think the primary issues for iOS moving forward are.

1) As mentioned above, the isolation of hardware on the devices. Trying to build an app that will work on an iPad, but take advantage of new hardware on iPad2, but also look correctly when outputted via HDMI to a 16:9 screen, and look correct on the odd-sized iPhone4 screen, but also be able to run on the limited hardware of an iPhone 3GS... well, it's not very easy to do. And if we don't dumb down our apps to work on older devices, we are then isolating a lot of potential customers and app sales.

2) It's a brilliant Phone OS that is now trying to be too many things at once. There are limitations here of course. As a simple example, the iPhone was built with a speakerphone with a single speaker (makes sense for a phone of course). When the iPad & iPad2 were scaled up using the same iOS and hardware layout, the devices were still built with Mono sound. If you open up an iPad2 you'll find two speakers in there; but there's no circuitry for stereo sound. Even with headphones most games/apps are in Mono. Not a big deal, but just an example of the types of issues iOS is faced with when trying to scale it up into a computing platform. Android of course faced this same issue, hence the creation of Honeycomb. It's a shame Apple didn't do something similar with the iPad.

3) A major issue with iOS is its until-recently closed development platform of Objective C. It's nice that they now support pretty much any programming language you want to throw at it, but it still relies on embedding the interpreter in the code, and still can't support any JIT code unless you precompile and send it to Apple for review. It's frustrating having to jump through hoops. I suspect QNX and possibly Honeycomb supporting POSIX standards will allow incredibly easy platform development from a low level, and easy porting or apps over to the platform. There's a good demo on youtube of a POSIX Linux version of Quake 3 ported over the Playbook with minimal effort. To do this on iOS is not possible unless it is Jailbroken---but if you want it on the App Store you'll have to redevelop the app.

This is a stark contrast to what QNX will offer the following platforms to develop on at a low level (i.e. running on top of the kernel). This makes it an extremely powerful platform... just wait for that SDK and see.

- Adobe AIR
    - Adobe Flash
    - Android Java (Dalvik 2.2)
    - OpenGL/ES
    - OpenVG
    - IEEE
    - POSIX (Linux/Unix)
    - Open SSL
    - Zlib
    - SQ Lite
    - Open AL
    - Curl
    - Airplay (mp)
    - Unity (mp)
    - Native C/C++

I'll be honest, going through all the updates on the Apple website for iOS5, it really is disappointing. New email enhancements including ability to bold, italics, and even underline! Wi-Fi syncing! HDMI mirroring, even pinch-to-zoom! iMessage would be a good attempt, an no doubt a success with iPhone users, probaby not so much with iPad. iCloud has a long way to go, especially with securing those film contracts that have been turning down Apple.

Either way we look at it, in terms of technology. iOS and RIM are playing catch-up to Android in terms of technology. Android and RIM are playing catch-up in terms of apps and capturing user market. Of these 3 (that is, excluding WebOS and Windows) it seems QNX is positioned to adapt and evolve the quickest.
    I do and agree to many of your points - the question remains, if RIM can be successful with QNX. Without the proper support it does not matter how easy it is to transfer apps to the platform or how powerful it is. If you think of BeOS in the past or even workstations like Silicon Graphics - they were all ahead of the competition regarding performance and possibilities - but then again they failed because nobody wanted to go with them.

RIM has a standpoint right now where most developers would rather spend their time to develop for iOS or Android. And I think that's reasonable, as a matter of fact it pays off more quickly. Regardless of all the fart-apps available. At least there is a customer for every app in the end.

I certainly hope that RIM succeeds - I like RIM, I like their technology and I like their platform right now. But it's certainly not me to decide about the success - but it's the customers to will decide.
    06-12-11 10:00 AM
    Im not sure why people think the iPad and Playbook cant coexist. Android has yet to release a big time Tablet, IMO. The HP tablet could be good, but Im not sure why everyone thinks that one is doomsday for RIM. There is room for multiple platforms. Its better for us to have as many platforms as possible to make companies raise their standards.

Where would iOS be today if it didnt have BB and Android to copy.
    06-12-11 01:54 PM
    i am certified in mac OSX, i train people to work with apple OSX but i use blackberry and have no plan to change it with apple iphone4 or iphone 5, when apple brought OSX in 2000 (i am sure about year), this new OS had no software, it was photoshop 7 which was first pro level of software brought by adobe, (correct me if i am wrong), and apple worked hard to make it a better OS, i am sure RIM is going to do the same thing, and in coming month play book will be better tablet than whatever it is right now. one thing interesting to point out that back then apple was almost out of business, it was microsoft who invested in apple and microsoft office helped apple to catch up its breaths, it was hard work & dedication which brought apple to the place where it is right now, and yes apple's dedicated user also helped apple to regain its status, so now RIM is going to rewrite the history and we will be the behind RIM, loyal to its plate form. if apple can do, RIM can do it too.
    06-12-11 09:37 PM
    i am certified in mac OSX, i train people to work with apple OSX but i use blackberry and have no plan to change it with apple iphone4 or iphone 5, when apple brought OSX in 2000 (i am sure about year), this new OS had no software, it was photoshop 7 which was first pro level of software brought by adobe, (correct me if i am wrong), and apple worked hard to make it a better OS, i am sure RIM is going to do the same thing, and in coming month play book will be better tablet than whatever it is right now. one thing interesting to point out that back then apple was almost out of business, it was microsoft who invested in apple and microsoft office helped apple to catch up its breaths, it was hard work & dedication which brought apple to the place where it is right now, and yes apple's dedicated user also helped apple to regain its status, so now RIM is going to rewrite the history and we will be the behind RIM, loyal to its plate form. if apple can do, RIM can do it too.
    That's a rather difficult comparison. I'm certified as well and with Apple since 1992... but trying to compare OS X to QNX/iOS is pretty much impossible.

The reason is just that the time for inventing a new OS is over - by the time OS X came out, Windows was stuck in XP/2000 and Mac OS 9 was about to be replaced. By now, everyone has a well-running system. Its certainly not about the system itself but about the support they get. And support only comes with growth and acceptance... and RIMs PlayBook has not been accepted very well by the press etc. It doesn't even matter how many have been sold - because the number is still not showing if its getting more popular at the moment or declining already.

Oh, and btw. OS X was capable of running every Mac OS 9 app using Rosetta. Backward compatibility was given with iOS for iPad too, being capable of running any iPhone app... this is something RIM is lacking as well, as they don't have any single-streamed ecosystem at the moment (OS 5/6/7, QNX)
    06-13-11 12:23 AM
    I'm thinking that the ability for true multitasking afforded by QNX is going to be revolutionary. Not so much in the fact that multiple apps can function at the same time but in the potential that multiple real time processes will be able to work in concert.
    06-13-11 01:11 AM
    Not so much in the fact that multiple apps can function at the same time but in the potential that multiple real time processes will be able to work in concert.
    How about explaining that. I think it's already been debunked -- the RTOS capabilities in QNX have almost no applicability to multitasking and usability in the BlackBerry Tablet OS (which is merely built on top of the QNX kernel, and does not extend the RTOS capability). Unless someone implements the RTOS aspects and then starts using the device to control a factory, air traffic control, traffic lights, etc -- processes that demand nanosecond synchronization -- there's really no relevance or benefit to RTOS on a touchscreen tablet.
    blacksea07 likes this.
    06-13-11 08:21 AM
    You mean like on a PC? Yeauh, revolutionary.

I'm thinking that the ability for true multitasking afforded by QNX is going to be revolutionary. Not so much in the fact that multiple apps can function at the same time but in the potential that multiple real time processes will be able to work in concert.
    06-13-11 08:26 AM
    How about explaining that. I think it's already been debunked -- the RTOS capabilities in QNX have almost no applicability to multitasking and usability in the BlackBerry Tablet OS (which is merely built on top of the QNX kernel, and does not extend the RTOS capability). Unless someone implements the RTOS aspects and then starts using the device to control a factory, air traffic control, traffic lights, etc -- processes that demand nanosecond synchronization -- there's really no relevance or benefit to RTOS on a touchscreen tablet.

Keep posting here. I appreciate viewpoints from technicians and devs much more than those that pull bullet points off the RIM website. The multitasking differentiation of playbook (via showcase mode) seems like nothing more than a sales gimmick with no real world uses.
    blacksea07 likes this.
    06-13-11 08:32 AM
    You mean like on a PC? Yeauh, revolutionary.
    Nope. Not like on the PC though the PC has revolutionized many things.
    06-13-11 08:34 AM
    Just a note here, but AppleTV only supports 720P which means my older 1080i TV didn't work with it. Bought it to replace a missing AirportExpress with the hopes of using it some time in the future.
    My 5yr Sony rear-projection LCD 1080i TV works just fine with my AppleTV. Your 1080i TV should support 720P, unless it explicitly states otherwise.

-Kang
    06-13-11 08:37 AM
    I'm confused then, what is it about QNX multitasking that you think will be revolutionary that a PC can't already do? I agree that QNX multi-tasking is better than the iOS equivalent but its not revolutionary, not even for a mobile device.

Nope. Not like on the PC though the PC has revolutionized many things.
    06-13-11 08:44 AM
    My understanding of QNX Neutrino is that it functions as a RTOS in the management of processes and the result is the UI that we are all beginning to know and love. That is to say that the UI is the product of real time computing. The microkernel and bootloader act in real time to manage resource allocation according to demands being made upon the system. Active partitioning and ability to utilize multiple cores in order to meet time specific demands is real time computing.

I am very much learning the nuances of the QNX system but it is a new paradigm as far as I have been able to determine.
    06-13-11 10:11 AM
    My 5yr Sony rear-projection LCD 1080i TV works just fine with my AppleTV. Your 1080i TV should support 720P, unless it explicitly states otherwise.
    circa-2001 Panasonic Tau. 1080i only, no support for 720p. Actually, it's component-only as well -- no hdmi. anyhow.. the point was that it doesn't just work on every hdtv set out there
    06-13-11 01:32 PM
    I wonder how its "true multitasking" will turn out, right now iOS lacks multitasking.

I like the PB's OS completely based on gestures, no buttons to push.
    06-13-11 01:40 PM
    iOS 5 and QNX are out... what's the verdict?

It's really no competition.. the only thing i can say is that this is the last for iOS while being the first for QNX..
    01-31-12 07:22 AM
    iOS 5 and QNX are out... what's the verdict?

It's really no competition.. the only thing i can say is that this is the last for iOS while being the first for QNX..
    Response in a few weeks ...
    What we have now (beta 2.0.0.7111 at best) is far from what the next official release of OS 2.0 will be.

Moreover, despite the "genius vision" of Jobs and how it changed the whole thing (I mean it, no bashing here), apple will now have to adapt its model against others'. The hype will not stay forever on this brand, unless they release something really huge, not just a voice-assistant-like gadget, to make the difference.
    Finally, to me, iOS5 will has not changed the current level of competition.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-31-12 at 09:04 AM. Reason: I'm a cow ... lost in the past-future lol
    01-31-12 07:44 AM
    Way to go var, necromancing a tired, 10 month old, 2 star thread.
    01-31-12 07:45 AM
    I think obviously that QNX blows away iOS5 in multitasking, no question. It's just a matter of how that's going to translate into other things, for example the battery.

I watched a college basketball game the other night on espn3.com. Started at 100%. By the end of the game I was getting the 9% battery alert. Now, I was streaming flash the whole time, but I multitasked very little. I played maybe 10 minutes of angry birds while it was streaming.

Apple chose not to implement any kind of "serious" multitasking because of the drain on the battery. Let's see if RIM's decision to implement the combination of real multitasking and LTE chips hurts the battery at all. If they can keep the same battery life and add in those features, well I will be thoroughly impressed.
    01-31-12 08:15 AM
    I think obviously that QNX blows away iOS5 in multitasking, no question. It's just a matter of how that's going to translate into other things, for example the battery.

I watched a college basketball game the other night on espn3.com. Started at 100%. By the end of the game I was getting the 9% battery alert. Now, I was streaming flash the whole time, but I multitasked very little. I played maybe 10 minutes of angry birds while it was streaming.

Apple chose not to implement any kind of "serious" multitasking because of the drain on the battery. Let's see if RIM's decision to implement the combination of real multitasking and LTE chips hurts the battery at all. If they can keep the same battery life and add in those features, well I will be thoroughly impressed.
    RIM IS serious: that's why you can choose the demo/suspend/default modes ... you can choose perfs V.S battery life ... in 4 taps
    Edit : And, hopefully, it'll be the same with radio enabled/disabled ... oh, wait, maybe a "when needed" ?
    pallav_gupta likes this.
    01-31-12 08:21 AM
    Boring... ios5 has been out for so long now and didn't blow me away, and QNX is still making progress. I don't agree on any of the points mentioned by the main poster, and I have had an ipad and have an iPhone. QNX much more polished
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-31-12 09:00 AM
    Boring... ios5 has been out for so long now and didn't blow me away, and QNX is still making progress. I don't agree on any of the points mentioned by the main poster, and I have had an ipad and have an iPhone. QNX much more polished
    iOS 5 has been out since October...
    01-31-12 09:08 AM
    The Original post is 8 months old. Chances are the original poster is long gone and left this thread. It's just one person's opinion and I really don't see any benefit to the post.

I have used an iPod and an iPad, and I prefer QNX. OS 2.0 should be a nice improvement. I didn't come to a Blackberry forum to read about Apple!
    Last edited by djnshores; 01-31-12 at 09:19 AM.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-31-12 09:17 AM
    And if I think about iOS 5 --- guys, this iOS version is gonna be aimed at Android, QNX, WebOS etc. and I'm pretty sure it's gonna make all other OSs look "unpolished" even more.
    LOL....What a Joke...IOS 5 already out..Check your iPhone, Ipod and Ipads....just going on a Ipad...all the new IOS will add is SIRI...I will admit she is better in the episode of Big Bang Theory...If I remember correctly they had to patch IOS 5 the very day it released...Battery problems. new features that's another joke. you can only take advantage of most of them if the device is Jailborken... what's really innovative about iPad...

and least it's aptly named for something used maybe every 28 days...

IMHO
    01-31-12 11:56 AM
    You are wrong on the iOS multi-tasking by the way. iOS does multi-task yes but only what Apple allows to multi-task. Look it up anywhere only certain things are truly allowed to remain functional in the background.
    01-31-12 12:29 PM
225 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD