05-29-13 10:31 PM
225 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Currently running in showcase mode; browser, Adobe reader, Kobo reader, Word to Go, Facebook, and App World, no problem.
    05-23-11 11:20 PM
    What exactly is the purpose of showcase mode besides being a demo mode for rim to try to sell multitasking?

Any real life uses to have tiny windows playing apps that arent being used?
    05-24-11 12:09 AM
    It really is surprising to read people still try to tout flash as the future or the key even a key to a device's success. In 9 months since the ipad was released, flash video on the web has dropped from 95% down to 63%. This is just up until January 2011. With theIOS devices selling by the boatload, this extinction of flash will speed up faster. Nobody wants their content to be unviewable on IOS devices.

But a more important reason flash is becoming extinct is because it is slow, buggy and a resource hog that isnt good on mobile devices. Even this board is full of proof of that.
    As an iPhone 4 owner.. I really don't care if Flash is available on my phone. I love my iPhone an think it is great! I just got tired of waiting for the Storm 3 to come out, if it ever does. I used to have a Storm 1 and loved it. I thought it was a great phone for my needs. I had great hopes for a Storm 3 but when the iPhone came to Verizon and I was eligible for an upgrade, so I got the iPhone.

Now with that said, I chose a Playbook over all the other tablets because it has the ability to do true multi tasking and Flash. Now saying that Flash is dying is just silly. Adobe continues to develop the Flash engine, it will get more streamlined and better. I, for one like using and designing in Flash because of the cool things that you can do with it. I've been using designing in Flash since Flash 4. I like the size of the Playbook because it is big enough to read content from the web or an eBook, yet small enough to carry and hold on to comfortably. The QNX OS just rocks and is going to just get better and better.

What I find funny is that the iPad is the only tablet that seems to not have Flash ability. All the tablets coming out on the market seem to support it. Androids, etc. And it's amazing how many people I know that "jailbreaks" their iPad's just so they can utilize Flash. The biggest argument the "Apple/iPad/iPhone" users have against Flash is that it is a battery drain and resource hog. I always respond to these people saying "yep, that may be true but no more than playing games or watching movies." "And shouldn't it be my choice if I point my browser to a Flash site and not a company/person being a control freak? If I spend most of my time on Flash sites then I should be allowed to. Seems to me all those people "jail breaking" there iPhones (me included) and iPads are wanting their Phones and tablets to do what they weren't supposed to do.. hmmm!"

Yes, there are a tons of apps for the iPad, but really, how many apps do you really need that fart? And give RIM time and there will be tons of apps for the Playbook including useless farting ones.
    Last edited by vicshannon; 05-24-11 at 01:17 AM.
    05-24-11 01:09 AM
    What exactly is the purpose of showcase mode besides being a demo mode for rim to try to sell multitasking?

I always listen to new music on youtube before I download it, so I can have the browser going while I do that. You can also let pages load in the browser while doing other stuff. Also let big games like NFS load while doing something else. I am also the type of person who likes to keep videos playing while I browse something about the movie on the internet through it. That way you can still listen to the audio without having to pause the movie while you quickly do an imdb search or w/e (I do have ADHD tho so that may have something to do with it).
    05-24-11 02:24 AM
    The biggest argument the "Apple/iPad/iPhone" users have against Flash is that it is a battery drain and resource hog. I always respond to these people saying "yep, that may be true but no more than playing games or watching movies."
    Until Flash takes proper advantage of hardware acceleration on mobile devices, it absolutely does use more CPU cycles. And that has a direct impact on power, heat, and battery life. This isn't so much an argument or an opinion as it is a very basic fact. Compared to more advanced rendering technologies that leverage the GPU or hardware decoders, Flash is very CPU dependent. It's doing software rendering/decoding versus hardware rendering/decoding. Any technology that uses software on the CPU, even with highly optimized native SDK code, will always be less efficient than one that uses the hardware. That is true for any process on any device on any platform.

I wish Adobe well, but they are still struggling to implement GPU acceleration for the types of game and UI rendering technologies that have been GPU-accelerated under OpenGL since the 1990s. And they still haven't managed to universally tap into hardware decoding for video codecs on all devices. They have a couple more hills to climb before they can claim that they have truly offloaded burden from the CPU. Only then will they have made legit gains in power use and battery life. Both are key factors in mobile devices.
    05-24-11 07:30 AM
    Until Flash takes proper advantage of hardware acceleration on mobile devices, it absolutely does use more CPU cycles. And that has a direct impact on power, heat, and battery life. This isn't so much an argument or an opinion as it is a very basic fact. Compared to more advanced rendering technologies that leverage the GPU or hardware decoders, Flash is very CPU dependent. It's doing software rendering/decoding versus hardware rendering/decoding. Any technology that uses software on the CPU, even with highly optimized native SDK code, will always be less efficient than one that uses the hardware. That is true for any process on any device on any platform.

I wish Adobe well, but they are still struggling to implement GPU acceleration for the types of game and UI rendering technologies that have been GPU-accelerated under OpenGL since the 1990s. And they still haven't managed to universally tap into hardware decoding for video codecs on all devices. They have a couple more hills to climb before they can claim that they have truly offloaded burden from the CPU. Only then will they have made legit gains in power use and battery life. Both are key factors in mobile devices.
    Then I would say the way to treat Flash is the way RIM did. Provide the functionality and also allow it to be disabled. Heck even have the device warn about the impact on battery life. Choice.
    05-24-11 08:04 AM
    I find it worrying that RIM have publicly showed off what the PlayBook is capable of, only to release it feature-devoid to the market.

iOS and Android can really trounce RIM now, by developing similar features. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3D output on the new iPad/iOS5 via a HDMI connector, even if it isn't great to start with, it'd be first to market.
    05-24-11 11:58 AM
    There is a video on this site showing the PB doing 3D. The QNX OS has enormous potential. Many seem to forget that the PB OS is only a few months old and already it does stuff that some other competitors can't match.
    05-24-11 12:14 PM
    I find it worrying that RIM have publicly showed off what the PlayBook is capable of, only to release it feature-devoid to the market.

iOS and Android can really trounce RIM now, by developing similar features. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3D output on the new iPad/iOS5 via a HDMI connector, even if it isn't great to start with, it'd be first to market.
    There is a very big difference between TAT's prototype UI's (which are super futuristic looking as shown in various youtube videos) and the final productized handsets (TAT developed Android's UI).

Nobody --- Android, Apple, Palm and RIM --- will use those super futuristic UI's in their actual products.
    05-24-11 12:39 PM
    Does QNX on the playbook store apps the way that BBOS does? I can have 100+ apps on my iPhone. Can that be done on QNX?
    Yes, you can install as many apps as space permits on the playbook (16, 32, 64gb).
    blue81to likes this.
    05-24-11 04:22 PM

idk ive used it. i've gone from bbm, to a movie back to bbm, then to the browser, back to bbm, then open up something else, forgot the movie was playing despite hearing it, back to the browser, remembered the movie is playing went back paused it, finished what i was doing then back to the movie. thats a typical day for me using that per hour. so no multitasking may not be 100% useful but i use and i like it.
    05-24-11 04:36 PM

Now, wouldn't someone have to have a 3D capable TV to utilize the 3D output of the Playbook?
    05-24-11 08:38 PM
    Yes, you can install as many apps as space permits on the playbook (16, 32, 64gb).
    It would be great if the QNX phones will be the same way. I think it would help attract developers.
    05-26-11 07:10 PM
    How about IOS4? at least they got their native apps up n running.
    05-26-11 08:23 PM
    i don't really care who'se blowing who. as long as it works. right now qnx is new kids on the block. still in beta. nothing much but promises of future potentials. until it can proof itself good, and convince everybody else that it is indeed good, then there is nothing to brag about.
    05-26-11 08:26 PM
    I used to work for apple a while ago, and I can say they will be aggressive in developing their new tablet os, but with their business model and their "you use it the way we say you use it" mentality with their devices, will hurt them. I have read about their new mac os app store as well.

Do you know what that interview revealed? Yes, you can install and run programs and apps of your choice on the new OS Lion and developers can still write and sell software, but if they do not pay the apple tax to have their app in their market, their application will not be able to use Lion's special new application features or optimizations. I haven't researched this any further since, but wow...

RIM just needs to make this device do EVERY thing that they have shown and we have found out about, and continue to improve, they could possibly beat apple at the tablet game. RIM does have one big advantage... they do not make computers so no corporate need there so they can focus on tabs and phones. If they put QNX on well designed phones in the future, and opened up Android app use, that would be a big knife in apple's chest.

But Apple has a couple advantages. They have more money, bigger factories, slave labor, and a cult... uh oh.... lol
    Last edited by whackamac; 05-26-11 at 10:22 PM.
    fnguyen likes this.
    05-26-11 09:35 PM
    wait are you even allowed to be here? i mean they took the chip out of your palm right? this isn't logans run man this for real if they find you who knows what will happen.
    05-26-11 09:52 PM
    I worked for them until about 2 months after Jobs came back as ceo... It's been a while, and they didnt chip you back then... lol
    05-26-11 10:19 PM
    Yes, you can install and run programs and apps of your choice on the new OS Lion and developers can still write and sell software, but if they do not pay the apple tax to have their app in their market, their application will not be able to use Lion's special new application features or optimizations. I haven't researched this any further since, but wow...
    I don't know where you got your info, but that is completely false.
    05-27-11 02:59 PM
    Initial posting to start this thread has been updated after iOS 5 has been announced today.
    06-06-11 02:45 PM
    Apple's stock is taking a hit ever since about 1:30 or so. Looks like the investors aren't too high on the annoucnment today.

RIMM on the other hand is actually in the positives on the day.
    06-06-11 02:53 PM
    everything that they have announced already exists.
    Examples:
    notifications-every platform has this, its fairly basic
    iMessage-total rip off of BBM
    iCloud-not that big of a deal (dropbox)
    iTunes Cloud- 7 Digital
    Newsstand- meh go online for them
    Twitter integration- i don't use twitter
    OMGOMGOMG TABBED BROWSING- fairly common
    Reminders- its called a good calendar
    OTA updates- many devices already have this

basically iOS5 is just a catch up for Apple, but hey! its revolutionary!

oh and like anastasiophan said, apple's stock dropped over 1.5%
    fnguyen and Intosh like this.
    06-06-11 02:54 PM
    Apple's stock is taking a hit ever since about 1:30 or so. Looks like the investors aren't too high on the annoucnment today.

RIMM on the other hand is actually in the positives on the day.
    mmm, so it dropped a few percentages (from 311 billion $ market cap), like many other stocks right now (not to talk about RIM) - and you think that's an indication for it? I wouldn't say so...
    06-06-11 02:55 PM
    everything that they have announced already exists.
    Examples:
    notifications-every platform has this, its fairly basic
    iMessage-total rip off of BBM
    iCloud-not that big of a deal (dropbox)
    iTunes Cloud- 7 Digital
    Newsstand- meh go online for them
    Twitter integration- i don't use twitter
    OMGOMGOMG TABBED BROWSING- fairly common
    Reminders- its called a good calendar
    OTA updates- many devices already have this

basically iOS5 is just a catch up for Apple, but hey! its revolutionary!

oh and like anastasiophan said, apple's stock dropped over 1.5%
    Agree - but that's the point. Apple has just defaced all the "selling points" of the competition to be integrated into one single, free update coming in a few weeks and even supporting older devices like the iPhone 3GS.

It's always a cat-and-mouse game - just they have done what RIM has feared the most - especially regarding the BBM rip-off.
    scorpiodsu and howarmat like this.
    06-06-11 02:57 PM
    I still think that the Playbook Hardware, and OS are superior to iPad and iOS5. I say lets compare the two in September when QNX should have all of the "summer" updates and iOS5 is released. I am stoked about the OSX Lion upgrade only being $29 this time around and will be getting it for my Macbook Pro.
    06-06-11 02:59 PM
225 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD