You are wrong on the iOS multi-tasking by the way. iOS does multi-task yes but only what Apple allows to multi-task. Look it up anywhere only certain things are truly allowed to remain functional in the background.
    Indeed, like the music player for example but for the most part it is simulated multi tasking. Also, switching between and closing apps that are open is cumbersome.

I think they are going to have to rethink that part of iOS going forward.
    01-31-12 01:24 PM
    I Hope RIM has it's algorithms patented....I have a feeling that a lot of companies will start stealing from RIM (again)...for their products..
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-31-12 02:00 PM
    Indeed, like the music player for example but for the most part it is simulated multi tasking. Also, switching between and closing apps that are open is cumbersome.

I think they are going to have to rethink that part of iOS going forward.
    I'm familiar with iOS multitasking and PB multitasking. The way iOS is designed, apps can be written to take advantage of full multitasking in the background, or simply app switching or notification services (instant messenger). I can launch any GPS turn-by-turn navigation software and leave it running in the background and it gives voice turn-by-turn instruction over bluetooth audio in my car, while it is playing music (in the background) and looking up weather (car stopped of course). This is mainly to conserve power and control application activity at higher level.

The advantage of PB multitasking is that it's not restricted to the application's specific needs for multitasking capability, and as an added bonus you can see the actual screens in the "task switch" view in real time, which is nice. The downside is that without careful use of its multitasking abilities, you could potentially drain battery quicker. However, the overall action of how it accomplishes presenting currently running apps and switching between them is very well done, and probably what people call it "multitasking on PB and interface is nice" on this forum.

There's no such thing as "simulated multitasking". Tablets or mobile phones are primarily "full screen" application environment. The multi-tasking we're used to on PCs (Windows, OSX) in overlapped window environment isn't really required on portable devices (but some of that are changing - Android widgets and Windows Mobile).

They both have pros and cons and iOS designs is just as carefully thought out as PB OS.
    AceRoom likes this.
    01-31-12 02:13 PM
    I Hope RIM has it's algorithms patented....I have a feeling that a lot of companies will start stealing from RIM (again)...for their products..
    What algorithm and what do you expect competitors to begin stealing (again)?
    01-31-12 02:15 PM
    I'm familiar with iOS multitasking and PB multitasking. The way iOS is designed, apps can be written to take advantage of full multitasking in the background, or simply app switching or notification services (instant messenger). I can launch any GPS turn-by-turn navigation software and leave it running in the background and it gives voice turn-by-turn instruction over bluetooth audio in my car, while it is playing music (in the background) and looking up weather (car stopped of course). This is mainly to conserve power and control application activity at higher level.

The advantage of PB multitasking is that it's not restricted to the application's specific needs for multitasking capability, and as an added bonus you can see the actual screens in the "task switch" view in real time, which is nice. The downside is that without careful use of its multitasking abilities, you could potentially drain battery quicker. However, the overall action of how it accomplishes presenting currently running apps and switching between them is very well done, and probably what people call it "multitasking on PB and interface is nice" on this forum.

There's no such thing as "simulated multitasking". Tablets or mobile phones are primarily "full screen" application environment. The multi-tasking we're used to on PCs (Windows, OSX) in overlapped window environment isn't really required on portable devices (but some of that are changing - Android widgets and Windows Mobile).

They both have pros and cons and iOS designs is just as carefully thought out as PB OS.
    You are correct that you can write an app to use mutli-tasking in iOS however Apple limits what is actually allowed to run in the background to I think about 5 or 6 different core things.. outside of that you cannot use multi-tasking. What it does is save state.
    01-31-12 02:23 PM

The reason I say iOS uses simulated multitasking is because when an app is sent to the background the process is paused and when reopened picks up where it left off. Now I know this is not true for all apps but for the majority it is.

I would also liken the seemless switching between application windows in full view by left or right bezel swiping as multitasking. They just need to allow Docs To Go to open more than one excel sheet at a time and you will see how handy it is.
    01-31-12 02:28 PM
    You are correct that you can write an app to use mutli-tasking in iOS however Apple limits what is actually allowed to run in the background to I think about 5 or 6 different core things.. outside of that you cannot use multi-tasking. What it does is save state.
    It's 5 different types of activities they chose that requires background execution longer than 10 minutes. This is all about controlling resource usage which can affect power consumption if not controlled carefully.

What matters in the end is the user experience. It does everything I need to do simultaneously.

I've always been curious about why people bring up "multitasking" on PB such an advantage. Yes, it does let you run any type of app concurrently and it's visually *COOL*, but what does that really bring to you on a tablet device? Certainly I don't plan on running video encoding job in the background on a tablet, or anything remotely similar.
    01-31-12 02:33 PM
    The reason I say iOS uses simulated multitasking is because when an app is sent to the background the process is paused and when reopened picks up where it left off. Now I know this is not true for all apps but for the majority it is.

I would also liken the seemless switching between application windows in full view by left or right bezel swiping as multitasking. They just need to allow Docs To Go to open more than one excel sheet at a time and you will see how handy it is.
    Every app gets 5 seconds before they go to suspend to finish their job.

Any app can get up to 10 minutes to complete longer jobs to complete (downloading videos, etc), and this is not limited to 5 different types of apps that requires background execution.

All apps do support switching.

Now, if you are allow to open more than one excel spreadsheet on docs to go, what will the "multitasking" help you with that? Will those spreadsheets be large enough it will take minutes to perform calculation and requires background processing and simple "task switching" won't be sufficient?

Don't get me wrong by the way. I do like the way PB operates, I just don't feel that either side is necessarily better than the other. They both have pros and cons.
    01-31-12 02:41 PM
    Every app gets 5 seconds before they go to suspend to finish their job.

Any app can get up to 10 minutes to complete longer jobs to complete (downloading videos, etc), and this is not limited to 5 different types of apps that requires background execution.

All apps do support switching.

Now, if you are allow to open more than one excel spreadsheet on docs to go, what will the "multitasking" help you with that? Will those spreadsheets be large enough it will take minutes to perform calculation and requires background processing and simple "task switching" won't be sufficient?

Don't get me wrong by the way. I do like the way PB operates, I just don't feel that either side is necessarily better than the other. They both have pros and cons.
    Multitasking is not just about large processing in the background. It is about convenience and if you had read my original post you would notice that I said app switching in iOS is cumbersome.

Think about it this way, let say I am updating spreadsheets on Docs To Go and moving data from one to another or copying a clause from a contract for pasting in the spreadsheet. Simple bezel swipes get me where I want to be fast and yet neither require large processing.

I would also say that you feeling neither is better than the other is dismissing a very strong point on the PlayBook as the mutlitasking and app switching on the PlayBook are miles ahead of what iOS currently has.
    01-31-12 03:09 PM
    Multitasking is not just about large processing in the background. It is about convenience and if you had read my original post you would notice that I said app switching in iOS is cumbersome.

Think about it this way, let say I am updating spreadsheets on Docs To Go and moving data from one to another or copying a clause from a contract for pasting in the spreadsheet. Simple bezel swipes get me where I want to be fast and yet neither require large processing.

I would also say that you feeling neither is better than the other is dismissing a very strong point on the PlayBook as the mutlitasking and app switching on the PlayBook are miles ahead of what iOS currently has.
    What you're pointing out is the GUI interface design for "task switching", not necessarily multitasking which primarily means multiple processes running simultaneously.

Yes, the swipe task switching on PB gets my vote as well. At the same time, often when I perform panning or swiping within application, it gets me to the other application instead. I guess I'm the only one with this silly events?
    01-31-12 03:18 PM
    I'm no software developer, but isn't the reason RIM had startup issues with QNX because its pretty much a new kid on the block for this kind of application? Surely all the magic being proposed by OP for ios would mean a whole new direction for ios, which would also mean teething problems? When i saw what Porsche did with the PB and QNX for the 911 at CES, it was quite obvious that QNX is one solid platform, that UI and its functionalities, even though unfinished in the Porsche was outstanding! Clearly there's so much more that can be done with QNX, so much more!
    01-31-12 03:27 PM
    What you're pointing out is the GUI interface design for "task switching", not necessarily multitasking which primarily means multiple processes running simultaneously.

Yes, the swipe task switching on PB gets my vote as well. At the same time, often when I perform panning or swiping within application, it gets me to the other application instead. I guess I'm the only one with this silly events?
    You're not the only one it happens to but it very rarely happens to me. And it is just as easy to switch back.
    01-31-12 03:32 PM
    I don't Know since iOS 5 is not out and PlayBook OS 2.0 is not out.

So to answer your question I don't know.
    01-31-12 04:32 PM
    iOS 5 has been out for some time.
    01-31-12 04:59 PM
    What you're pointing out is the GUI interface design for "task switching", not necessarily multitasking which primarily means multiple processes running simultaneously
    Not sure whats task switching versus multitasking on the iPad (owner) but it sure is annoying to switch between certain websites to process one function and go back to another function only to have it refresh itself before opening and losing data.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    01-31-12 05:27 PM
    Fellow iPad-1 owner recommended me not to upgrade to ios5 until all the "bugs" are fixed because he is still experiencing browser crashes, slower response and more checkerboarding. He would like to downgrade back to a lesser ios but cannot. Maybe one day ios can do some blowing but definitely not at the moment.
    01-31-12 05:33 PM
    Well opps, your right, Well then OS 2 is not out as well as BBX OS (I know its not X but I don't care)
    02-04-12 11:07 PM
    Fellow iPad-1 owner recommended me not to upgrade to ios5 until all the "bugs" are fixed because he is still experiencing browser crashes, slower response and more checkerboarding. He would like to downgrade back to a lesser ios but cannot. Maybe one day ios can do some blowing but definitely not at the moment.
    My iPad has been transformed into one big piece of crud by ios5. Super laggy, typing sometimes takes 15 second pauses between registering key strokes. Browser constantly crashes when I open multiple tabs. Etc, etc.

Since Apple has draconianly determined that I cannot downgrade to ios4 I refuse to be pushed into upgrading to an iPad 2. And the work around of disabling iCloud is not as effective give as I would like, besides, isn't iCloud the main reason for upgrading?

So now the kids use the iPad for games and Netflix. I use my Playbook for work and such and I went out and bought an Acer A500 for my entertainment tablet.

So disappointed with Apple and this attitude of abandoning old models so quickly. I never should have upgraded the iPad 1. I can guarantee that Apple won't get any of my money for quite a few years.
    AggreX and alnamvet68 like this.
    02-04-12 11:41 PM
    IMO Apple no longer makes computing devices. They make point-of-sale machines. It's tantamount to talking you into buying the store and then charging for everything you buy there.
    auditman likes this.
    02-05-12 12:33 AM
    iDevices with an A4 chip can run iOS5 pretty well, but you will see significant lag compared to most of the iOS4 fimrwares. Either it was not coded well for the A4, or the A4 is not strong enough anymore
    02-05-12 02:07 AM
    Hi guys,

First, I'm not an "Apple-addict". Some people here might think that straight away if one starts to talk in a good way about Apple products.

But, to let you know the truth, I've been working for Apple more than a decade. I know their way of thinking and I can literally tell you every next step - I've been spending more than 15 years with the products of this company and know the lifecycles, etc.

What I want to talk about here is a simple thought. I'm really really really impressed by RIM and it's QNX system for the Playbook. I enjoy using it a lot, even though it has major flaws still (webradio stream in different tab not playing, not enough apps (not a general OS problem), no bluetooth-audio profile support, battery meter inaccurate, flash very slow (except for video as it gets support by the graphic processor) etc.pp.).

I have never seen a company release a first OS this polished after all, but I need to keep on thinking here.

People especially in this forum have shown to me that they don't really know that the iPad is indeed capable of multitasking. Apps keep playing audio, data transfers don't get interrupted, websites load in the background, Skype calls don't get missed, etc. I don't really understand how come many here find the Playbooks multitasking more "efficient". As a matter of fact multitasking means that several tasks can be run at the same time, right? The iPad does that. Even though you can't visualize it, as only one app is always in front, and not being shown as "windows" like in QNX, you will never face an app stop it's desired function even though you switch apps. (short reminder, if you doubletap the iPads button, you can switch between apps).

Therefore, except for flash, the iPad doesn't fall short on the QNX system.

Nonetheless, the Playbook is eyecatching and I love the gestures - really remarkable of RIM to come up with a touch-sensitive bezel and implement it this well! (I was further impressed that it can actually tell if you only enter the screen diagonally with your finger coming from atop and shows only the battery-meter, clock etc. then)

What I'm more or less worried about is now that even though RIM has done a remarkable job, Apple is gonna blow them away by about August this year. I estimate iOS 5 to be released the latest around that month.

And if I think about iOS 5 --- guys, this iOS version is gonna be aimed at Android, QNX, WebOS etc. and I'm pretty sure it's gonna make all other OSs look "unpolished" even more.

Therefore, I honestly would like to discuss what you think about it?! Please don't come up with the form factor of 7" - I have to agree that the Playbook is much more portable, but I want to talk about the OS.

Do you believe RIM stands any chance?
    I even believe they are going to support Android apps because they know they won't ever be winning this "OS War" - because Android and iOS are just so much bigger. (in this case I really don't understand RIM - as soon as the Android player is out, developers won't think of developing for AppWorld... why should they? -- and whatever is it, the Android player most likely won't be multitasking capable in terms of running multiple apps at the same time and it will lack the speed of a native app, as it's being emulated)

I hope to hear some opinions about my thoughts - I'm sure there are people here around this forum who have been with Blackberry since ages and can give me some insight, what they expect to happen. I'm very curious!!

UPDATE

Didn't want to bother to open a new thread.

Apple has just introduced iOS 5 - Bezel gesture (notifications, swipe down from top to screen), iMessage (BBM clone, but even better as it's independent and you can use any iDevice that's yours to pick up a conversation and go on with the talk, regardless of the PIN etc.), thumb-aligned keyboard on iPad for easier typing, Twitter integration to the core of the OS, Wifi-Sync, OTA updates, 4 to 5 finger-swipe used to switch between apps instantly... and a lot more:

Apple - iOS 5 - 200+ new features for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

Just my 2 cents - this is just the beginning.

Oh, and iCloud (icloud.com) will sync all your files later on.

iOS 5 will be released in Fall together with iCloud... if RIM does not catch up and finally get's the problems fixed on the Playbook and those new BBs with OS 7 out... I don't know how long they will make it. (imho)
    Yeah, sure looks like IOS 5, and 6 bleek BlackBerry and QNX away... I've got a little advice for you dumbass, QNX 10.0 AKA BlackBerry 11 will blow IOS 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 all the way up to 100 away. # Moron
    05-28-13 09:48 PM
    Yeah, sure looks like IOS 5, and 6 bleek BlackBerry and QNX away... I've got a little advice for you dumbass, QNX 10.0 AKA BlackBerry 11 will blow IOS 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 all the way up to 100 away. # Moron
    I agree Ios will always be boring and stale that's how apple users like it
    05-29-13 07:29 AM
    And they'll always have the apps BBRY users can only dream about
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-29-13 09:35 PM
    Actually the OS on this thing wasn't really all that "polished" on release. It was buggy and the bridge browser almost worthless. It is 1,000% better now.
    05-29-13 10:23 PM
    Lol will always love BlackBerry

Q10, 9900, 9780, 8330, 7520, 7510 And Playbook!
    05-29-13 10:31 PM
225 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD