Yes android 2.3 can run android 2.2 apps, but the RIM app player cannot, big difference.
    No there is no difference. Once you have Dalvik and the Dalvik libraries in place from 2.3 then there is no reason you can't run anything 2.3 can run, aside from missing native libraries (of which there will be very few).
    06-07-11 04:03 PM
    Explain the to RIM then because they say their app player is android 2.3 only and not compatible with 2.2 apps. (or honeycomb tablet apps, which negates the entire app player IMO, it's a tablet, not a phone).

No there is no difference. Once you have Dalvik and the Dalvik libraries in place from 2.3 then there is no reason you can't run anything 2.3 can run, aside from missing native libraries (of which there will be very few).
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-07-11 at 04:08 PM.
    06-07-11 04:06 PM
    Airplay mirroring is quite a nice feature that will sell a lot of hardware for Apple. Instead of just streaming videos to TV wirelessly, you can now stream any and everything to your HDTV without any HDMI cables. The ipad screen is on the TV just like with the HDMI cable but wirelessly.

DLNA (if it ever arrives) and if I understand correctly is simply for selected videos and will not mirror the playbook to the TV like you need your HDMI cable to do.
    Pretty sure that my AppleTV connects to my TV with an HDMI cable, and their are no Airplay ready TV's out. Everyone keeps leaving out that $99 accessory to do this wireless stuff from your iDevice to your TV. Also Airplay has already been hacked, so someone could right an Airplay app for Playbook to connect it to AppleTV. Their are DLNA converters coming out for older TV's.
    Last edited by lnichols; 06-07-11 at 04:13 PM.
    06-07-11 04:11 PM
    Explain the to RIM then because they say their app player is android 2.3 only and not compatible with 2.2 apps. (or honeycomb tablet apps, which negates the entire app player IMO, it's a tablet, not a phone).
    The apps that RIM demoed running on the App Player were 2.2 apps. 2.3 is API Level 9 and that API will run lower API levels. RIM only had to specify 2.3 to point out that they aren't going to support Honeycomb (level 11 API) specific applications.
    06-07-11 04:14 PM
    I didn't leave it out, go back a page and you'll see. My question though is when will rim release their $99 device that will provide the same functionality or will you be stuck with hdmi cables or buying a new tv? A $99 portable device that works with all HDTVs is a much better option considering all that it does in addition to display mirroring. And naturally, you're not forced to buy it anyway.

Pretty sure that my AppleTV connects to my TV with an HDMI cable, and their are no Airplay ready TV's out. Everyone keeps leaving out that $99 accessory to do this wireless stuff from your iDevice to your TV. Also Airplay has already been hacked, so someone could right an Airplay app for Playbook to connect it to AppleTV. Their are DLNA converters coming out for older TV's.
    Last edited by xandermac; 06-07-11 at 04:19 PM.
    06-07-11 04:16 PM
    I'll defer to you on that then even if your information differs from the RIM developer site.

That still leave only phone apps available (no games bc of graphic libraries) for use on a tablet tho. Not too good really.

The apps that RIM demoed running on the App Player were 2.2 apps. 2.3 is API Level 9 and that API will run lower API levels. RIM only had to specify 2.3 to point out that they aren't going to support Honeycomb (level 11 API) specific applications.
    06-07-11 04:18 PM
    $100 for an apple tv that works with ALL HDTVs is surely better than $1000 for ONE tv that supports wireless streaming? I guess you and I have a different approach to these things. apple tv it portable remember, I doubt you'd be lugging your 50" wireless toshiba jobbie too many places? It was a brilliant idea to utilize a $99 device (that also does so much more) for this. I can already wirelessly stream movies/music/photos from my iPad to the apple tv in an optimized interface (full screen, no borders, custom menus) with full remote control from my iPod or iPhone if I choose! so display mirroring is just a nice addition. But for watching movies on an HDTV wirelessly, yeah, we've been able to do that for a while and it's portable and only $99. So when does rim plan on offering this $99 piece of hardware that will do all the same things? I suppose an hdmi cable will have to to.
    Um, no. Actually I never bought into those middle man devices. My PC is hooked to my 50". Nothing else needed. On the go? I have my $5 HDMI cable.

Why would I have to carry my TV around? You are lost somewhere.

I'm not really sure why you got so heated...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Blacklac; 06-07-11 at 04:24 PM.
    06-07-11 04:21 PM
    I didn't realize that I was heated. You must have mistook your dislike of my explaination the wrong way. I'm perfectly calm. If you would rather be tethered to a tv I fully understand, convenience isn't for everyone.

Um, no. Actually I never bought into those middle man devices. My PC is hooked to my 50". Nothing else needed. On the go? I have my $5 HDMI cable.

I'm not really sure why you got so heated...

06-07-11 04:24 PM
    I'll defer to you on that then even if your information differs from the RIM developer site.

That still leave only phone apps available (no games bc of graphic libraries) for use on a tablet tho. Not too good really.
    The majority of games that use a native graphics library in Android are using the same graphics library as QNX (OpenGL). It really isn't a big deal to maybe change some header file names or do some linker tricks to call the same library running on top of QNX. Nobody is sure of the details for what RIM is planning for the "converter" but it is technically possible as long as the same underlying library is available.
    06-07-11 04:24 PM
    Hopefully you're right and RIMs information is outdated. I guess sometime in the summer we'll know for sure.

The majority of games that use a native graphics library in Android are using the same graphics library as QNX (OpenGL). It really isn't a big deal to maybe change some header file names or do some linker tricks to call the same library running on top of QNX. Nobody is sure of the details for what RIM is planning for the "converter" but it is technically possible as long as the same underlying library is available.
    06-07-11 04:27 PM
    HI my learned friends.
    OK, So what you are saying is that there will be a time (soon?) where you can click on a app on PLaybook and be taken straight to a store to download super cool all singing and dancing apps, Android? Ohh I do hope so and will it bought direct from the BB App World or will be a direct link to a special Android site for BB?
    06-07-11 04:28 PM
    It will supposedly be an android section of appworld.

HI my learned friends.
    OK, So what you are saying is that there will be a time (soon?) where you can click on a app on PLaybook and be taken straight to a store to download super cool all singing and dancing apps, Android? Ohh I do hope so and will it bought direct from the BB App World or will be a direct link to a special Android site for BB?
    magician1 likes this.
    06-07-11 04:30 PM
    I am not bitter as I say this but after having an iphone for 2 months (After using BB for years) and going back to (BB) home sweet home I have to say that Iphone did absoulutely nothing for me, no buzz, no amazement. Just LOVE BB (I do have a imac which I adore)
    All my mates are thinking I am bonkers not going for an ipad 2 but I JUST DO NOT WANT ONE! I've had a really good use of one as my mother in law has one and yeah is very good but ONLY 8 and a HALF DAYS UNTIL I GET MY UK OFFICALLY LAUNCHED UK SPEC 32GB PLAYBOOK AND WILL BE WAITING LIKE A KID FOR THE DELIVERY DRIVER.......................
    Last edited by magician1; 06-07-11 at 04:38 PM.
    06-07-11 04:36 PM
    I'm soooooooo excited re my playbook:d
    06-07-11 04:37 PM
    If you have the patience to wait for the NDK and the really good apps then you will love the playbook.

I am not bitter as I say this but after having an iphone for 2 months (After using BB for years) and going back to (BB) home sweet home I have to say that Iphone do absoulutely nothing for me, no buzz, no amazement. Just LOVE BB (I do have a imac which I adore)
    All my mates are thinking I am bonkers not going for an ipad 2 but I JUST DO NOT WANT ONE! I've had a really good use of one as my mother in law has one and yeah is very good but ONLY 8 and a HALF DAYS UNTIL I GET MY UK OFFICALLY LAUNCHED UK SPEC 32GB PLAYBOOK AND WILL BE WAITING LIKE A KID FOR THE DELIVERY DRIVER.......................
    takeo likes this.
    06-07-11 04:38 PM
    If you have the patience to wait for the NDK and the really good apps then you will love the playbook.
    What is NDK??????
    06-07-11 04:39 PM
    Its the native developers kit, it doesn't really matter at the moment. You enjoy the playbook and know that it will only get better.

What is NDK??????
    06-07-11 04:42 PM
    Its the native developers kit, it doesn't really matter at the moment. You enjoy the playbook and know that it will only get better.
    SO what you are saying is that there will be a time when a few hundrend thousand all singing and dancing super cool apps will be readily available for the Playbook?
    I'll learn from the experienced and sit tight and enjoy the PB
    THanks mate
    06-07-11 04:45 PM
    that's right. I like your enthusiasm.

SO what you are saying is that there will be a time when a few hundrend thousand all singing and dancing super cool apps will be readily available for the Playbook?
    I'll learn from the experienced and sit tight and enjoy the PB
    THanks mate
    06-07-11 04:47 PM
    i vote no. im not too impressed

06-07-11 04:48 PM
    $100 for an apple tv that works with ALL HDTVs is surely better than $1000 for ONE tv that supports wireless streaming?
    Just a note here, but AppleTV only supports 720P which means my older 1080i TV didn't work with it. Bought it to replace a missing AirportExpress with the hopes of using it some time in the future.
    06-07-11 04:50 PM
    that's right. I like your enthusiasm.
    YOu know I am a very enthusiastic and optimistic person.
    I recently went from Windows for imac and really do love it and it was this that made me ditch the BB for a iphone but after 8 weeks I knew something was missing and one morning woke up and just said BB here i come, come to daddy, daddy loves you............Bought a 9780 and give it a huge hug and voila.
    Only slight issue was the initial sync with the mac as it gave a sync alert and want to change nearly all of my 3000 calendar entries but not the main body of the notes JUST the actual header that it was initally composed to eg: it wante it to change the header from General to PROFILE (I think from memory) It seemed that the imac sais Hey I am the master sync service and truth database and I want you to slightly change that pesky thing to conform with me.
    06-07-11 04:53 PM
    We should note that although that iOS may do a form of multitasking for Apple built background services, it does app switching for dev apps (or as Apple tells us it's called 'fast app switching' where if you move to a different app, the app still sits in memory---but it doesn't get any CPU cycles, so it does NOT continue to run.
    If you're a developer, you should know about background task completion (<= 10 minutes) and other background services (no time limit). One of our apps uses both core location and audio in the background for as long as needed. Those are just two examples.

As mentioned above, the isolation of hardware on the devices. Trying to build an app that will work on an iPad, but take advantage of new hardware on iPad2, but also look correctly when outputted via HDMI to a 16:9 screen, and look correct on the odd-sized iPhone4 screen, but also be able to run on the limited hardware of an iPhone 3GS... well, it's not very easy to do. And if we don't dumb down our apps to work on older devices, we are then isolating a lot of potential customers and app sales.
    You have to be smart about this, and deploy your resources wisely. I will say that we make back all our investment in iOS and then some, no matter how much work is required to support various devices As an example, my current project has separate Mac, iPhone, and iPad apps built from the same core source but with different interface code. We're doing this because it's a huge revenue opportunity, so it's not a hassle. This is entirely different than gambling resources on Android where payback is not guaranteed.

Most of our more advanced apps can easily support both the iPhone 3GS and 4, and iPad 1 and 2. These apps aren't even practical on older devices like the 3G, so no loss there.

2) It's a brilliant Phone OS that is now trying to be too many things at once. There are limitations here of course. As a simple example, the iPhone was built with a speakerphone with a single speaker (makes sense for a phone of course). When the iPad & iPad2 were scaled up using the same iOS and hardware layout, the devices were still built with Mono sound. If you open up an iPad2 you'll find two speakers in there; but there's no circuitry for stereo sound. Even with headphones most games/apps are in Mono.
    My very first OpenGL iOS game in October 2008 used OpenAL for panning stereo sound (jet flyby and other aviation/battle sounds). Stereo has been possible (and easy) from the beginning. You do need headphones to take advantage of it, obviously.

3) A major issue with iOS is its until-recently closed development platform of Objective C. It's nice that they now support pretty much any programming language you want to throw at it, but it still relies on embedding the interpreter in the code, and still can't support any JIT code unless you precompile and send it to Apple for review. It's frustrating having to jump through hoops. I suspect QNX and possibly Honeycomb supporting POSIX standards will allow incredibly easy platform development from a low level, and easy porting or apps over to the platform. There's a good demo on youtube of a POSIX Linux version of Quake 3 ported over the Playbook with minimal effort. To do this on iOS is not possible unless it is Jailbroken---but if you want it on the App Store you'll have to redevelop the app.

This is a stark contrast to what QNX will offer the following platforms to develop on at a low level (i.e. running on top of the kernel). This makes it an extremely powerful platform... just wait for that SDK and see.

- Adobe AIR
    - Adobe Flash
    - Android Java (Dalvik 2.2)
    - OpenGL/ES
    - OpenVG
    - IEEE
    - POSIX (Linux/Unix)
    - Open SSL
    - Zlib
    - SQ Lite
    - Open AL
    - Curl
    - Airplay (mp)
    - Unity (mp)
    - Native C/C++
    Having developed for BB, WP7, Android, and iOS, I will take the iOS SDK hands down. And this from someone who didn't know a lick of Obj-C until midway through my career in 2002 or so. There's room for all languages and perspectives of course (hey, I started on Fortran) but I think the quality of iOS apps speaks volumes about the SDK. It's just really good for cranking out solid apps. The animations and graphics acceleration alone are something that really sets iOS apart.
    magician1 likes this.
    06-07-11 05:48 PM
    This I will believe when I see. OpenGL hasn't exactly been Android's strong suit. Most legacy OpenGL coding (i.e., games) leverages C/C++, and it is not straightforward to bring that to Android in a way that would also pass through to the java-based Android sandbox RIM is implementing.
    06-07-11 05:54 PM
    Hi Friends,
    Does anyone has the solution to be able to access the MAC Apple site www.ME.COM or the Find my Iphone from your Playbook. When I try to access this site from my Playbook I get an error which says YOUR BROWSER IS NOT SUPPORTED. Any solutions to go around this problem I'm encountering on my new PLAYBOOK 64GB?
    REGARDS AND THANKS, KONDOR
    IF POSSIBLE EMAIL ME TO
    [email protected]
    06-08-11 11:54 AM
225 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD