About that "Cloud", when folks find out about how expensive roaming data charges are, a hard rain is gonna fall for some.
    dodger_moore likes this.
    06-07-11 05:21 AM
    You guys are hilarious -- all Apple did was to solidly catch up to Google with online services, and perhaps pass them in a few areas. Don't act so insulted, or feel like you need to whine about unrelated stuff (hardware specs, half of which is wrong here anyhow). If this is no big deal and doesn't threaten you, then why freak out?

I can't remember the last time I saw so many people poo-poo something and freak out about it at the same time. I've seen more security in an ant farm...
    dodger_moore likes this.
    06-07-11 06:24 AM
    I have an iPhone 4 and there are a lot of things I admire about it. I wouldn't have it if Verizon would get off their butts and get a new model BB in stock, rather than Blackberrys closeouts. Everything is tight and nicely integrated, but you get what you get and Apple basically runs your phone for you.

I *am* bitter. I want a Torch! But where I live it's Verizon or spotty service. And after I, umm, stepped on my Storm I needed something to talk on

I read Gizmodos list of updates in iOS5 and for the most part we've had those things for years in BB. Twitter is, frankly, for people with too much time on their hands, and the rest of it is catch-up. Maybe that's why Gizmodo doesn't pay any attention to BB - it's too far ahead of the game

Of course I am rarely impressed with Gizmodo. They manage to get so much wrong about so many things.
    06-07-11 06:35 AM
    Welcome addition to my iPad as long as it doesn't add a bunch of useless junk and run 50% slower after the hour or more it takes to install (like every single OS release from RIM.)
    06-07-11 08:23 AM
    At first i was impressed, then i thought about it. Most of the stuff introduced isn't revolutionary...they're available on other platforms. It's the way Apple introduces these features when they talk and in their marketing - makes it sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread and that somehow, they "invented" it. The general public and some tech media *cough Mossberg* eat up all that Apple pie. They act as though if it didn't exist on iOS, it didn't exist at all.

All that being said, I do like that Apple is active in addressing their weaknesses.
    Last edited by Blackberry Guy; 06-07-11 at 08:56 AM.
    06-07-11 08:54 AM
    I haven't read anything anywhere about bezel gestures, so pretty sure iOS 5 does not support bexel gestures (and if it does there's no way of finding out as there's no Apple device that has a capacitive bezel).

iOS 5 is just Apple playing catch up with their competitors. iMessage is just a rip off of BBM(which, like their music social network, Ping, probably won't catch on) and the notifications/alerts drawer is just a rip off of Android's notification drawer. I don't see anything new or exciting in iOS 5.
    06-07-11 09:03 AM
    I haven't read anything anywhere about bezel gestures, so pretty sure iOS 5 does not support bexel gestures (and if it does there's no way of finding out as there's no Apple device that has a capacitive bezel).

iOS 5 is just Apple playing catch up with their competitors. iMessage is just a rip off of BBM(which, like their music social network, Ping, probably won't catch on) and the notifications/alerts drawer is just a rip off of Android's notification drawer. I don't see anything new or exciting in iOS 5.
    Well, Android does the same in honeycomb - if you swipe your finger from the outside right of the screen into the screen you see a menu - it's just calculated by software that your finger has swiped in - no touch-bezel needed.

And it's not about being "new", it's about providing everything.

Have a look at this video if you like, I think it covers the "most important" changes. And it didn't even explain yet that you can actually have the LED on the iPhone flash on new messages etc - so Apple did not tell about all new features yet, but focused on the major one in this video.

06-07-11 11:21 AM
    What did they introduce that was so great? iMessage? Yay!

iCloud.. wewt, I'm so excited to hand over some more money for music match and to the carriers for using their bandwidth.

Notifications that work? ZOMG -- SO FREAKING AWESOME.. Oh, wait.. not so much.
    iMessage is great if all your friends have iPhones (most of mine do).
    iCloud is a much better way of keeping stuff in sync than BB bridge.
    06-07-11 11:32 AM
    lol, if only the Bridge could sync!, Its a very basic screen mirroring system is all, and a poorly implemented one at that, can't even view photos over the bridge!. With iOS5 on the iPad2 you can now mirror your display to an HDTV "wirelessly" and guess what, even photos work!

iMessage is great if all your friends have iPhones (most of mine do).
    iCloud is a much better way of keeping stuff in sync than BB bridge.
    06-07-11 11:41 AM
    With iOS5 on the iPad2 you can now mirror your display to an HDTV "wirelessly"
    This is supposed to be coming to the Playbook too. Although, I have to wonder how many TV's actually support this right now? I bought my Panny plasma last year and I honestly have no idea if it has this ability and I like to think I stay up on tech a bit. lol
    06-07-11 11:59 AM
    IOS uses an apple tv to accompolish this, so it'll work with any hdtv.

This is supposed to be coming to the Playbook too. Although, I have to wonder how many TV's actually support this right now? I bought my Panny plasma last year and I honestly have no idea if it has this ability and I like to think I stay up on tech a bit. lol
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-11 12:04 PM
    It's all down to your own likes...............................I had been a Palm dude for years then went BB and after 4 yrs with BB went to the dark side of iphone 4 for 2 months and it buged the dickends out of me! JUst found it YES amazing features but as a true BB email, calendar, notes and to do and the iunstanse push email then BB is the best and sold the iphone on ebay and bpought an sim free 9780 and when I picked it up it was like meeting YE OLD FRIEND again.....just feel so right for me and I can be far quicker and more productive with my own business with my BB...................Just addicted to B and waitying for my PLaybook here in the uk in 9 days time..........It works for me 100% and I LOVE BB
    06-07-11 12:05 PM
    wait till android player comes into bb......that will shake the world
    06-07-11 12:16 PM
    wait till android player comes into bb......that will shake the world
    I predict there will be no end to the griping here when people realize that they can't simply go get apps from Android Market.
    06-07-11 01:15 PM
    so what your saying is that Android have rto remake it for Playbook so it works on the Playbook? And is android player a special app we will need?
    06-07-11 02:06 PM
    Yeah basically they have to port it, but it's not a traditional port, it's much easier than that.
    06-07-11 02:08 PM
    IOS uses an apple tv to accompolish this, so it'll work with any hdtv.

Of course. You have to buy another Apple product to do it. I should have known that. Granted AppleTV is a nice unit and only $100 or so.

I'm pretty sure the Playbook was heading to wirelessly right to the TV. I guess we'll see if that comes or not.

06-07-11 02:09 PM
    so what your saying is that Android have rto remake it for Playbook so it works on the Playbook? And is android player a special app we will need?
    It will have to be repackaged and then submitted to RIM App World for approval and to download. You won't be able to go to Google app store or use your current android apps.

Also from what I've heard some android app won't be able to be ported if it uses certain android api's

I still think the Android player before the NDK is a mistake. RIM should have pushed more for an earlier NDK release.
    06-07-11 02:15 PM
    UPDATE

Didn't want to bother to open a new thread.

Apple has just introduced iOS 5 - Bezel gesture (notifications, swipe down from top to screen), iMessage (BBM clone, but even better as it's independent and you can use any iDevice that's yours to pick up a conversation and go on with the talk, regardless of the PIN etc.), thumb-aligned keyboard on iPad for easier typing, Twitter integration to the core of the OS, Wifi-Sync, OTA updates, 4 to 5 finger-swipe used to switch between apps instantly... and a lot more:

Apple - iOS 5 - 200+ new features for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

Just my 2 cents - this is just the beginning.

Oh, and iCloud (icloud.com) will sync all your files later on.

iOS 5 will be released in Fall together with iCloud... if RIM does not catch up and finally get's the problems fixed on the Playbook and those new BBs with OS 7 out... I don't know how long they will make it. (imho)
    Hi Takeo,

Coming from an iOS and Android developer. (and still Android user.)

----

I think you bring up some very valid points with iOS5. It's clear that Apple is keeping an eye on the competition and making incremental updates to keep up with them. Note that RIM's music service is already cloud based, as is Amazon's.

I believe that after many years iOS is now a very stable and great OS from a consumer stand-point. From a developer perspective, well that's debatable. So many hardware revisions out there and different scenarios to program for is making it very difficult for developers to support. It has been a similar issue with Android 2.2, which is why Honeycomb standardization is such a welcome update.

We should note that although that iOS may do a form of multitasking for Apple built background services, it does app switching for dev apps (or as Apple tells us it's called 'fast app switching' where if you move to a different app, the app still sits in memory---but it doesn't get any CPU cycles, so it does NOT continue to run.

I think the primary issues for iOS moving forward are.

1) As mentioned above, the isolation of hardware on the devices. Trying to build an app that will work on an iPad, but take advantage of new hardware on iPad2, but also look correctly when outputted via HDMI to a 16:9 screen, and look correct on the odd-sized iPhone4 screen, but also be able to run on the limited hardware of an iPhone 3GS... well, it's not very easy to do. And if we don't dumb down our apps to work on older devices, we are then isolating a lot of potential customers and app sales.

2) It's a brilliant Phone OS that is now trying to be too many things at once. There are limitations here of course. As a simple example, the iPhone was built with a speakerphone with a single speaker (makes sense for a phone of course). When the iPad & iPad2 were scaled up using the same iOS and hardware layout, the devices were still built with Mono sound. If you open up an iPad2 you'll find two speakers in there; but there's no circuitry for stereo sound. Even with headphones most games/apps are in Mono. Not a big deal, but just an example of the types of issues iOS is faced with when trying to scale it up into a computing platform. Android of course faced this same issue, hence the creation of Honeycomb. It's a shame Apple didn't do something similar with the iPad.

3) A major issue with iOS is its until-recently closed development platform of Objective C. It's nice that they now support pretty much any programming language you want to throw at it, but it still relies on embedding the interpreter in the code, and still can't support any JIT code unless you precompile and send it to Apple for review. It's frustrating having to jump through hoops. I suspect QNX and possibly Honeycomb supporting POSIX standards will allow incredibly easy platform development from a low level, and easy porting or apps over to the platform. There's a good demo on youtube of a POSIX Linux version of Quake 3 ported over the Playbook with minimal effort. To do this on iOS is not possible unless it is Jailbroken---but if you want it on the App Store you'll have to redevelop the app.

This is a stark contrast to what QNX will offer the following platforms to develop on at a low level (i.e. running on top of the kernel). This makes it an extremely powerful platform... just wait for that SDK and see.

- Adobe AIR
    - Adobe Flash
    - Android Java (Dalvik 2.2)
    - OpenGL/ES
    - OpenVG
    - IEEE
    - POSIX (Linux/Unix)
    - Open SSL
    - Zlib
    - SQ Lite
    - Open AL
    - Curl
    - Airplay (mp)
    - Unity (mp)
    - Native C/C++

I'll be honest, going through all the updates on the Apple website for iOS5, it really is disappointing. New email enhancements including ability to bold, italics, and even underline! Wi-Fi syncing! HDMI mirroring, even pinch-to-zoom! iMessage would be a good attempt, an no doubt a success with iPhone users, probaby not so much with iPad. iCloud has a long way to go, especially with securing those film contracts that have been turning down Apple.

Either way we look at it, in terms of technology. iOS and RIM are playing catch-up to Android in terms of technology. Android and RIM are playing catch-up in terms of apps and capturing user market. Of these 3 (that is, excluding WebOS and Windows) it seems QNX is positioned to adapt and evolve the quickest.
    takeo likes this.
    06-07-11 02:52 PM
    Welcome addition to my iPad as long as it doesn't add a bunch of useless junk and run 50% slower after the hour or more it takes to install (like every single OS release from RIM.)
    TROLL with no job.

Oh wait that is kind of redundant.
    06-07-11 03:11 PM
    Airplay mirroring is quite a nice feature that will sell a lot of hardware for Apple. Instead of just streaming videos to TV wirelessly, you can now stream any and everything to your HDTV without any HDMI cables. The ipad screen is on the TV just like with the HDMI cable but wirelessly.

DLNA (if it ever arrives) and if I understand correctly is simply for selected videos and will not mirror the playbook to the TV like you need your HDMI cable to do.
    06-07-11 03:29 PM
    What makes it easier? First it's only android 2.3 apps that MIGHT work, if they use native android libraries they're no good. So anything built with the android SDK probably won't work, anything that uses graphic libraries won't work (no games or graphic intensive apps then) and none of the honeycomb tablet apps will work (yet, RIM might support them in the future). So you're basically left with android PHONE fart apps which will have to be ported and sometimes recompiled then submitted to the gatekeeper for approval.

Yeah basically they have to port it, but it's not a traditional port, it's much easier than that.
    06-07-11 03:44 PM
    $100 for an apple tv that works with ALL HDTVs is surely better than $1000 for ONE tv that supports wireless streaming? I guess you and I have a different approach to these things. apple tv it portable remember, I doubt you'd be lugging your 50" wireless toshiba jobbie too many places? It was a brilliant idea to utilize a $99 device (that also does so much more) for this. I can already wirelessly stream movies/music/photos from my iPad to the apple tv in an optimized interface (full screen, no borders, custom menus) with full remote control from my iPod or iPhone if I choose! so display mirroring is just a nice addition. But for watching movies on an HDTV wirelessly, yeah, we've been able to do that for a while and it's portable and only $99. So when does rim plan on offering this $99 piece of hardware that will do all the same things? I suppose an hdmi cable will have to to.

Of course. You have to buy another Apple product to do it. I should have known that. Granted AppleTV is a nice unit and only $100 or so.

I'm pretty sure the Playbook was heading to wirelessly right to the TV. I guess we'll see if that comes or not.

Last edited by xandermac; 06-07-11 at 04:04 PM.
    06-07-11 03:53 PM
    What makes it easier? First it's only android 2.3 apps that MIGHT work, if they use native android libraries they're no good. So anything built with the android SDK probably won't work, anything that uses graphic libraries won't work (no games or graphic intensive apps then) and none of the honeycomb tablet apps will work (yet, RIM might support them in the future). So you're basically left with android PHONE fart apps which will have to be ported and sometimes recompiled then submitted to the gatekeeper for approval.
    Android 2.3 can run any apps from previous versions of Android, so that is the vast majority of them and once Honeycomb source has been fully released there is no reason the App Player can't be updated. Also, native android libraries (such as OpenGL ES) are really just POSIX native libraries, many of which are already included in QNX.
    06-07-11 03:58 PM
    Yes android 2.3 can run android 2.2 apps, but the RIM app player cannot, big difference.

Android 2.3 can run any apps from previous versions of Android, so that is the vast majority of them and once Honeycomb source has been fully released there is no reason the App Player can't be updated. Also, native android libraries (such as OpenGL ES) are really just POSIX native libraries, many of which are already included in QNX.
    06-07-11 04:02 PM
225 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD