everything that they have announced already exists.
    Examples:
    notifications-every platform has this, its fairly basic
    iMessage-total rip off of BBM
    iCloud-not that big of a deal (dropbox)
    iTunes Cloud- 7 Digital
    Newsstand- meh go online for them
    Twitter integration- i don't use twitter
    OMGOMGOMG TABBED BROWSING- fairly common
    Reminders- its called a good calendar
    OTA updates- many devices already have this

basically iOS5 is just a catch up for Apple, but hey! its revolutionary!

oh and like anastasiophan said, apple's stock dropped over 1.5%
    I agree most of all this stuff already exist. But here's the question, what other mobile platform has implemented them all into their OS and will be as easy to use? That's the key part.

iMessage - I would say a rip off of all IM clients. BBM is not the only IM client.

DropBox is no where near like iCloud - iCloud includes way more features.

So because you go online for Newsstand and don't use twitter, it's nothing special, huh? Shame on you for thinking your opinion is what matters to anyone else.

You guys are so jaded it's hilarious.
    06-06-11 03:12 PM
    I still think that the Playbook Hardware, and OS are superior to iPad and iOS5. I say lets compare the two in September when QNX should have all of the "summer" updates and iOS5 is released. I am stoked about the OSX Lion upgrade only being $29 this time around and will be getting it for my Macbook Pro.
    Depends on your definition of superior but I gotcha. But not having native email or other PIM functions but yet it's superior? Come on now, original iPhone had this.
    06-06-11 03:13 PM
    Agree - but that's the point. Apple has just defaced all the "selling points" of the competition to be integrated into one single, free update coming in a few weeks and even supporting older devices like the iPhone 3GS.

It's always a cat-and-mouse game - just they have done what RIM has feared the most - especially regarding the BBM rip-off.
    thats true, and the isheep will all follow, like always but other platforms have these selling points, but have them more deeply integrated and more perfected than apple, but its revolutionary!

just my 2 cents
    Last edited by AutoPilot2020; 06-06-11 at 03:19 PM.
    06-06-11 03:15 PM
    I agree most of all this stuff already exist. But here's the question, what other mobile platform has implemented them all into their OS and will be as easy to use? That's the key part.

iMessage - I would say a rip off of all IM clients. BBM is not the only IM client.

DropBox is no where near like iCloud - iCloud includes way more features.

So because you go online for Newsstand and don't use twitter, it's nothing special, huh? Shame on you for thinking your opinion is what matters to anyone else.

You guys are so jaded it's hilarious.
    I'll take this one Alex but sad for me to say is android does 100% of this.

BBOS6 does 99% of it minus the cloud.

You have to admit after all the talk of IOS 5 being groundbreaking all it was a catch-up, an important and great catch-up, but still just an update.
    06-06-11 03:21 PM
    thank you Foreverup for seeing the light
    06-06-11 03:23 PM
    thank you Foreverup for seeing the light
    Don't know what light I saw but I like when people thank me so your welcome

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 03:33 PM
    iOS5 is just an incremental upgrade.

I think it will be a long time before people trust The Cloud. I know that I would never rely on a cloud based solution.
    06-06-11 03:38 PM
    iOS5 is just an incremental upgrade.

I think it will be a long time before people trust The Cloud. I know that I would never rely on a cloud based solution.
    I know friends in the nuclear power and automotive industries they say absolutely no way are they putting documents into a cloud service until it is proven to be secure and i mean way more secure than sony
    06-06-11 03:41 PM
    I know people are big on the cloud but it's not for me. I may use it as a 2nd backup for pictures and non sensitive stuff but I rather back up locally and store my data locally
    06-06-11 03:44 PM
    How may people really have a problem with getting data on their device? It is kind of a soultion searching for a problem.

The big thing is the iOS improvements. They may not be radical but they do make iOS better. Most of those things are already in OS6 for BB though.

If only we had them all on Playbook too . . .
    06-06-11 03:49 PM
    Agree - but that's the point. Apple has just defaced all the "selling points" of the competition to be integrated into one single, free update coming in a few weeks and even supporting older devices like the iPhone 3GS.

It's always a cat-and-mouse game - just they have done what RIM has feared the most - especially regarding the BBM rip-off.
    When it's Apple, it's called "defacing competitor's selling points"; when it's another company, it's called "copying Apple". Is that right?
    06-06-11 03:52 PM
    monolithic versus microkernel. iOS quite frankly will never be able to do some of the things QNX can. Do some research into it and you will see that iOS was built to expand upon, but is quite limited in comparison to a QNX type OS. With a microkernel OS like QNX, in theory, unlimited cores can be supported. THAT is scalability

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    100% right. The underlying architecture of QNX is superior to iOS. Whatever Apple can do on iOS, BlackBerry can do better on QNX.
    06-06-11 05:13 PM
    100% right. The underlying architecture of QNX is superior to iOS. Whatever Apple can do on iOS, BlackBerry can do better on QNX.
    big question though is if they will
    howarmat and southlander like this.
    06-06-11 06:23 PM
    When it's Apple, it's called "defacing competitor's selling points"; when it's another company, it's called "copying Apple". Is that right?
    Well, if you're honest, without Apple we wouldn't have many or any tablets at all by now. I can still remember how many people ripped the iPad apart as being "a big iPod" etc... but obviously everyone is now trying to compete with it.

And companies like Google, RIM or Microsoft try to be "better" with a few additions and features - and Apple just took their time to implement it.

I personally think, everyone has copied more than 70% of their tablet OS from Apple. So it's just fine they implement what has been "missing" - calling it whatever you like.
    06-06-11 09:47 PM
    I didn't see anything revolutionary today, but there was a lot of evolutionary stuff that solves most of the complaints people had with iOS, and puts it on par (or better) with Android as far as services go. Nothing Apple announced was glamorous, but it was stuff that is laborious to implement and carries a HUGE infrastructure and overhead burden. The way I see it, Apple stepped up their services game. They used to be woefully behind in this area, but definitely caught up, and then some.
    06-06-11 09:49 PM
    And if you don't live in the USA, the Patriot act can be a show stopper for ANY cloud services based in the USA...
    06-06-11 09:50 PM
    I know friends in the nuclear power and automotive industries they say absolutely no way are they putting documents into a cloud service until it is proven to be secure and i mean way more secure than sony
    More secure than Sony, well how about Google???
    06-06-11 11:21 PM
    More secure than Sony, well how about Google???
    apparently google is only as secure as their users that haven't seen a phishing email
    06-06-11 11:25 PM
    I used to work for apple a while ago, and I can say they will be aggressive in developing their new tablet os, but with their business model and their "you use it the way we say you use it" mentality with their devices, will hurt them. I have read about their new mac os app store as well.

Do you know what that interview revealed? Yes, you can install and run programs and apps of your choice on the new OS Lion and developers can still write and sell software, but if they do not pay the apple tax to have their app in their market, their application will not be able to use Lion's special new application features or optimizations. I haven't researched this any further since, but wow...

RIM just needs to make this device do EVERY thing that they have shown and we have found out about, and continue to improve, they could possibly beat apple at the tablet game. RIM does have one big advantage... they do not make computers so no corporate need there so they can focus on tabs and phones. If they put QNX on well designed phones in the future, and opened up Android app use, that would be a big knife in apple's chest.

But Apple has a couple advantages. They have more money, bigger factories, slave labor, and a cult... uh oh.... lol
    I agree 100%!!! If RIM acts quick and releases an iPhone Bridge that would be Awesome! What do they say, a good offense is better than a good defense.
    06-06-11 11:25 PM

Steve Job's will release this update as iPad3 - You think he will gives this to iPad2 users for free??? Keep dreaming!
    06-06-11 11:29 PM
    I hate to say this but ... iOS was announced today, and it will -very possibily- bring the death of RIM. I am a BB maniac! Always fight with people about how better Blackberry is! But now ... Im not sure I will try anymore. anyone that watched the keynote today will know what I'm talking about !
    06-07-11 12:45 AM
    I hate to say this but ... iOS was announced today, and it will -very possibily- bring the death of RIM. I am a BB maniac! Always fight with people about how better Blackberry is! But now ... Im not sure I will try anymore. anyone that watched the keynote today will know what I'm talking about !

What did they introduce that was so great? iMessage? Yay!

iCloud.. wewt, I'm so excited to hand over some more money for music match and to the carriers for using their bandwidth.

Notifications that work? ZOMG -- SO FREAKING AWESOME.. Oh, wait.. not so much.

I watched the keynote, in fact I even reported some of it for @TiPB.. I wasn't that impressed with it. Nothing that blew me away at all.. if anything, I was more impressed with Lion then iOS 5.
    06-07-11 03:20 AM
    iOS 5 shows that the ideas in mind of apple people are now in the critical level and it is now draining.....so copying is the only way to have iOS 5
    06-07-11 03:48 AM
    Yawn. Why did Apple wait for so long to bring out something that will kill the competition? I find this almost laughable. The ipad2's specks and hardware doesn't even match the playbook. It will take a 3rd generation ipad before it matches or beats the playbook, but then again Apple expects its users to buy all 3 models one at a time before becoming obsolete. Sounds like a big waste of money if you ask me. I like watching 1080p movies in full stereo on the playbook as well as a whole host of other things. Ipad two has one small speaker on the back, that you have to hold carefully so you don't block it and it sounds like crap, which means Apple wants you to buy apple headphones to enjoy, your 720p video. What Apple is always offering is substandard quality and specks, crappy cameras, mono speaker etc., but don't worry the ipad 34 will answer all these problems and iOS19, will be here to save the day.
    06-07-11 04:05 AM
    Emotions are running high around all the recent ios announcements! Ive been feeling a bit under the weather myself in light of the whole iMessage thing. I mean i hate it when someone copies my style and tries to run with it IJS get ur own! But hey, New update this morning was enough to pick me up and restore that RIM confidence!
    06-07-11 04:13 AM
225 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD