... Anyone up for a Save RIM type project?

Looking to create real show stopper application(s).. Anyone interested or know anyone interested please let me know.. I cant let a company that has this much potential die off like what is currently happening. Please lend a hand.. or some code.. When we have enough people the project will start.. Lets remember Apple was in the same boat a few years ago.. now look at them.. Its time we stop recycleing ideas and create something that will truely change the game.

Skills that would be an asset but not mandatory:

1. Imagination
    2. Inovation
    3. Application Development Skills
    4. Determination

Note: If your not an application developer you can still help with the brainstorming or addional features. The goal is that everyone adds something to the project .

Cheers,

-R

PS: Excuse any spelling or grammar.. I'm not fully awake.. heh
    03-07-12 09:32 AM
    I would certainly like to help, but I don't have any application writing skill sets. Still, count me in if I can be of help.
    03-07-12 10:56 AM
    There are a bunch of people around here who are good at starting Skype and Netflix petition threads.
    Barljo likes this.
    03-07-12 11:04 AM
    I have no coding abilities either, but I can test stuff.
    03-07-12 11:09 AM
    This is the type of feedback I'm looking for
    Start letting anyone you know who is a Dev that they can jump on board.
    Once we have somewhat of a Dev team we will start the brainstorming and see if we can mock up an idea.. then code it... alpha and beta test.
    Feel free to link this post on any other forums you might be a part of or social media circles .. facebook.. G+ .. Twitter.. more attention it gets the beter.

Once we have an awesome idea we could use kickstarter or an alternative to raise money for it and have people invest.

I'm sure there are some android dev's out there looking to shine

Together I'm sure we can make this happen!
    03-07-12 11:18 AM
    I've already got several ideas.
    1. PB remote app for iphone and Droid. Let their phones control the PB the way ours do.
    2. Native Picture app should use same visual flourishes that the print to go app does.

THose are 2 smaller ones that should be doable i'd think fairly easily, but I know nothing of programing so I could be way off.
    03-07-12 11:47 AM
    Count me in!!
    03-07-12 11:54 AM
    @killa4luv those are some good ideas for sure!

Something that I never thought of was that at this point RIM's dev team at least their forums would maybe help out with working out bugs if we came up with something impressive.

A garage door opener app would be pretty cool too.
    Or the killer app would be to make a smart house app.. So you could interconnect all of your gadgets .. I'm not sure if im thinking Harmony remote type thing because I think you need an IR sensor built in.. but you could do it with anything that takes A2DP Bluetooth.

I think it would be pretty cool to be able to turn off and on things with the tablet.. more of an industry thing.. check building temps, adjust AC .. that type of control would be pretty neat.

Some other ideas would be a MAME emulator .. more emulators the better ..

For example if you made a NES emulator and used the BB to pair up.. Assuming you have a touch screen BB.. IE a storm or torch you could then have a NES Controller layout on the BB and use it as a wireless controller.. would be pretty cool.

Even some classic board gams would be nice to see.. I know they have some already but its just not enough.

Operation for PlayBook would be pretty fun .. If they had the vibration API opened from playbook to BB every time you screw up you could have your PB send a vib signal to your BB.. and vibrate it in your pocket or on the table or whatever..

Simple photo mock up app would be cool too.. Everyone likes to make their friends look fat faced or put mustache’s on them or a pirate eye patch.

Just some of the things I've been thinking of.. I dont have my wish list in front of me so I can't list them all off at the moment.

Need to get some work done...

Keep the ideas flowing

-R
    03-07-12 12:13 PM
    I like the idea. I wish I had some capabilty of writing code. I think the biggest skill is an imagination.
    03-07-12 12:13 PM
    I think the biggest skill is an imagination.
    You said it!

It all starts with an idea
    03-07-12 12:26 PM
    Count me in for brainstorming, that's about all I have to offer
    03-07-12 12:27 PM
    I am a Sytem Analyst by Educatiion and Trade and live on the business acumen side so count me in........ for #1, #2, #4 - ready to start anytime.....
    03-07-12 12:48 PM
    A garage door opener app would be pretty cool too. Or the killer app would be to make a smart house app.. So you could interconnect all of your gadgets .. I'm not sure if im thinking Harmony remote type thing because I think you need an IR sensor built in.. but you could do it with anything that takes A2DP Bluetooth.

I think it would be pretty cool to be able to turn off and on things with the tablet.. more of an industry thing.. check building temps, adjust AC .. that type of control would be pretty neat.
    BlueKey Wireless System Bluetooth Controller

INSTEON Developer site
    ryne84 likes this.
    03-07-12 01:10 PM
    @LoganSix ... I think you have just found my Christmas Present for 2012.. Thanks!
    03-07-12 01:17 PM
    As a former sales/marketing guy turned TV writer I think you guys should start by finding out why folks around you are NOT purchasing the PB and start from there.

Admirable Endeavor!!

Best of luck!!
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-07-12 01:23 PM
    I wish you could take the android skype app and rewrite it for QNX to make the video work as well. Or make more use of the video chat app and try to make a connection to skype. I know, it's probably not possible because of rights management...
    03-07-12 01:37 PM
    Sign me up I can design and host, brainstorming too.
    03-07-12 01:38 PM
    I wish you could take the android skype app and rewrite it for QNX to make the video work as well. Or make more use of the video chat app and try to make a connection to skype. I know, it's probably not possible because of rights management...
    I've stated this before in other threads:

The reason developers can't create some apps is due to the APIs not being open by the company who owns the service or data. Skype, NetFlix and others do not open their service API's for developers. I'm not saying some developer with a good track record couldn't request access in order to make an app, but most likely it won't happen for certain types of services.

The same could also be said about turning games into app games. If someone doesn't have permission to create a game, they risk a lawsuit from the company that owns the rights.

With RIM going after developers, it comes down to these types of apps that can be made :
    1. Current apps (iOS, android) that exist and use open APIs
    2. Open APIs with no current app
    3. Apps that don't require an API (i.e. don't store data off of the device)

What the PlayBook needs to set itself apart is finding services and/or data that currently doesn't have an open API or an existing app that will be opened up for PlayBook development.

Games are great, but they won't drive sales no matter how much better they perform on the PlayBook. What people need to do is look at how people work and play and see what app can be created or integrated into those activities. Then when people hear about that killer app that they can only get on the PlayBook, it will drive sales.
    03-07-12 02:13 PM
    If you need a PMP to help coordinate, let me know.

And I don't mean a "portable media player", nor a "pest management professional".
    Last edited by diegonei; 03-07-12 at 03:03 PM.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    03-07-12 02:53 PM
    I could help with code, however I don't have a lot of free time on my hands.
    03-07-12 02:59 PM
    I'd love to help but am not a developer nor do I have any coding experience. I'd be more than happy to help in brainstorming/testing.
    03-07-12 03:04 PM
    @LoganSix, I agree on the API issue... Cascades will make it far far easier to create show stopper apps. But take a look at ProIngishts for example. Great quality apps are already possible.

Here's a rough sketch at the Project Life Cicle, thinking this app in particular:
    Initiation - Coming up with the idea, brainstorming, defining the scope;
    Planning - Colecting requirements, fine tuning the scope, identifying stakeholders and resources, assigning tasks and responsibilities
    Execution - Performing the tasks, communicating, documenting
    Controling - Testing, change control, bug reporting, documenting
    Closure - Getting final delivery approval, submiting app for AppWorld (and it would have to be free, if we all work together to create it) Video chat party

As you can see, kyleheney and all others with no coding skills, you can be useful in plenty of ways.
    Last edited by diegonei; 03-07-12 at 03:11 PM.
    03-07-12 03:05 PM
    @diegonei
    I agree cascades will change the game!
    Love what you do! Opps wrong one!
    Keep Calm and Be Bold!
    03-07-12 03:46 PM
    I guess some of my ex-coworkers beat me to it...

RIM has the most innovative gaming peripheral at GDC | SemiAccurate

They made a dpad controller for gaming.. Looks like it works too
    03-08-12 01:12 PM
    Count me in!
    03-08-12 01:37 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD