I currently have a bb 9900 and my playbook. Everything is working great! I am able to get on the internet on both devices without a problem. The phone i had before was an android phone and i had a ton of apps that i miss. so my question is.... Can i hook up my android phone to my playbook and still get on the internet? I do not have tethering but i do have unlimited data/internet. Please if someone could please help.
    appreciate it!
    11-27-12 12:04 PM
    You would have to use your phone as a hotspot in order to connect. Not sure if your carrier will charge extra for it.
    11-27-12 01:01 PM
    Who is you carrier and what Android do you have?

Some phones and carriers allow for free tethering. You would only need to download an tethering app to enable the feature if you have a compatiable phone.
    11-27-12 01:29 PM
    Yes you can, I have a galaxy s3 and have an app called foxfi. Sets the phone up as a hotspot without rooting it.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    11-27-12 01:32 PM
    I have a samsung infuse 4g. if i could get this to work that would be awesome! are there instructions somewhere that someone can point me to?
    Thanks so much!
    11-27-12 02:09 PM
    I would try going to the playstore and downloading the app the previous poster mentioned. You might be able to set up the phone as a hotspot and that would allow you to share the internet with your playbook.
    11-27-12 02:43 PM
    Since the Infuse is with at&t im not sure you'll be able to tether for free. Their pretty strict with their policies on tethering. You maybe able to root your phone and have without any extra charges like user posted above.

It's worth a try though because I'm not sure how that phone is setup to handle tethering. It's possible it would go unnoticed by the carrier. Worth a shot though with the free app.
    11-27-12 11:22 PM
    I have a samsung infuse 4g. if i could get this to work that would be awesome! are there instructions somewhere that someone can point me to?
    Thanks so much!
    Look around here: - (might want to navigate to forum sub carrier/phone used)
    NOTE, Below forum is highly technical and they expect you to read the FAQ's etc, so READ info pertaining to your phone/carrier BEFORE posting!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

The problem I am foreseeing as I have some Samsung Galaxy S III's coming is from what little I've read if you carrier does not allow tethering on the plan you're on the PlayBooks browser will id itself as belonging to a PlayBook, instead of the phone itself. Carriers "rules" being internal browser= OK, external browser =Might not be allowed on the plan you're on, or your hit up with extra charges. Read something about Chrome browser being configurable so it emulates browser in phone... Something along those lines.

(AT&T I've read as it pertains to cell phones will automatically force you on a smartphone data package, if they detect you're using a smartphone- with it being configured to use WI-Fi exclusively. Nice, eh?)

Q: For the OLD TIMERS here.... Is it possible to run CHROME, Firefox, etc browser on PlayBook?

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-29-12 at 02:43 AM.
    11-28-12 12:04 AM
    Since the Infuse is with at&t im not sure you'll be able to tether for free. Their pretty strict with their policies on tethering. You maybe able to root your phone and have without any extra charges like user posted above.

It's worth a try though because I'm not sure how that phone is setup to handle tethering. It's possible it would go unnoticed by the carrier. Worth a shot though with the free app.
    AT&T is pretty strict, I doubt without rooting the phone, and WITHOUT using a difference browser OP will be able to successfully tether. From what little I've read the carrier sniff the packets and can tell what browser your running - if they id browser as the phones browser you're golden... If the browser id's itself incorrectly they cut you off.
    Little I read on the subject they sniff the packets and can tell what browser the request was sent from, the only work around (unless the above app is doing the work) is to use a browser which you can change the "UA String as noted in the snippet below:

IE UA string but that's a simple fix both in IE by changing the UA string and or if you use Firefox, Chrome or any other browser which does not send the IE UA..
    11-28-12 12:34 AM
    Look around here: - (might want to navigate to forum sub carrier/phone used)
    NOTE, Above forum is highly technical, so READ info pertaining to your phone/carrier BEFORE posting!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php

The problem I am foreseeing as I have some Samsung Galaxy S III's coming is from what little I've read if you carrier does not allow tethering (or charges extra) the PlayBooks browser will id itself as belonging to a PlayBook, instead of the phone itself. Carriers "rules" being internal browser= OK, external browser =Not allowed, or your hit up with extra charges. Read something about Chrome browser being configurable so it emulates browser in phone... Something along those lines.

Q: For the OLD TIMERS here.... Is it possible to run CHROME, Firefox, etc browser on PlayBook?

AT&T allows tethering on their networks. Will op be about to do it for free without rooting. Probably not. Their not about leaving money on the table when its comes to things like that.

Also, I'm not sure about sideload Android apps on the Playbook, but currently their is neither Chrome or Firefox browsers available in the BB App World. However we do have the SimpleBrowser+ app that allows you to change your user agent to whatever you like. Chrome and Firefox are both included.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    11-28-12 01:27 AM