I did a bit of searching but I couldn't actually find an answer to my simple question.

Does Internet Tethering give my PlayBook wifi-like access? That is, does the weather app, App World, Slacker Radio, etc, work as normal? (but slower) Obviously Bridge, while brilliant, only allows Bridge apps to access the internet.
    07-26-11 07:58 PM
    I did a bit of searching but I couldn't actually find an answer to my simple question.

Does Internet Tethering give my PlayBook wifi-like access? That is, does the weather app, App World, Slacker Radio, etc, work as normal? (but slower) Obviously Bridge, while brilliant, only allows Bridge apps to access the internet.
    Can't say from experience, but I believe tethering should allow you to do those things. Hopfully someone with it can verify.
    Kevstra likes this.
    07-26-11 08:05 PM

You are correct.
    Kevstra likes this.
    07-26-11 08:06 PM
    yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-26-11 08:08 PM
    no app world on tether, everything else works as normal. correct on bridge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Kevstra likes this.
    07-26-11 08:10 PM
    You are correct.
    You are correct with the exception of App World (which only works if you are connected using wifi).
    Kevstra likes this.
    07-26-11 08:11 PM
    i agree with these orher guys. the big difference is tethering costs extra.
    Kevstra likes this.
    07-26-11 08:23 PM
    the big difference is tethering costs extra.
    The cost has been discussed many times;
    If you have an unlimited internet plan you likely will have no additional charges
    Kevstra likes this.
    07-26-11 08:39 PM
    We need Tether or someone to create an app that will let us tether for free. I have an unlimited plan with Telus, but they will not include tethering in it. So, my tethering is charged at $8 per MB.... Slightly ridiculous.

Anyone have a solution that allows me to tether for free??
    07-26-11 08:50 PM
    Anyone have a solution that allows me to tether for free??
    This is carrier dependent; no app can solve your problem .... except, change carrier.
    07-26-11 08:56 PM
    Thank you everyone for your prompt reply! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

If I can rope decent tethering into my plan, without significant costs, that would definitely be worth it to me.

Thanks again guys.
    07-26-11 09:02 PM
    This is carrier dependent; no app can solve your problem .... except, change carrier.
    I don't agree. I know that Tether.com allows me to tether for free. I purchased the software for $25 and I can tether my laptop to bberry without paying any carrier fees.

We need something like that for the Playbook. It would make me very happy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-26-11 09:04 PM

Internet tethering doesn't give me wifi-like speed and access. Like the above earlier posts, app world doesn't work and it's just not as fast as wifi, although much better than using bridge browser.
    07-27-11 05:45 AM
    One day appworld should work over wifi or tether or 3G. Maybe after the bbid issue is sorted out.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk
    07-27-11 09:28 AM
    I just upgraded to FaceBook 2.0 and then downloaded Scroodle via tether. Other than it being slow, I had no issues doing so.

Phone used: Galaxy Prevail - rooted & rom'd
    App used: WiFi Tether 3.1-beta2
    07-27-11 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD