I finally got this working and half of my disappointment with the Playbook is gone I managed to get my Nokia E7 (Symbian^3 Belle Refresh) working as a modem to the PB via the Bluetooth dial-up networking (DUN) profile. It connects quickly to the phone and surfing is fast on an HSDPA connection.

Phone settings:
    - Make sure the PB and phone are paired via Bluetooth.
    - Go to Settings/Connectivity/Settings, mobile data On and usage is correct
    - Go to Settings/Connectivity/Admin settings/Mobile data, access point is set correctly and high speed packet access is enabled.

PB settings:
    - Go to Settings/Bluetooth. The Bluetooth device property for the phone should show "Internet Tethering" under services.
    - Go to Settings/Internet Tethering. Choose the device, select the wireless profile according to your carrier.
    - If your carrier isn't listed, click Add Profile. Enter the access point, username and password according to your carrier's settings.
    - Click Connect. The tethering warning message will show up, blah blah, click Continue.
    - It should show connecting, authenticating, and then a successful connection. You're good to go

Maybe we should have a big list of all the phones that support BT DUN and can work with the PB.

Internet Tethering with Nokia Symbian phone-img_00000012a.jpg
    Internet Tethering with Nokia Symbian phone-img_00000013.jpg
    Internet Tethering with Nokia Symbian phone-img_00000007.png
    Internet Tethering with Nokia Symbian phone-img_00000008.png
    Internet Tethering with Nokia Symbian phone-img_00000009.png
    Internet Tethering with Nokia Symbian phone-img_00000010.png
    Internet Tethering with Nokia Symbian phone-img_00000011.jpg
    Last edited by blueberrymerry; 01-05-13 at 11:48 PM. Reason: added screenshots
    01-05-13 11:32 PM
    Worked for me out of the box without mucking with the phone settings on the symbian side with rogers (e71, e5.) This was always a good Nokia featurd - they used it for their own internet tablets, and supported more bluetooth profiles (file transfers, etc.)

Your carrier might have default setting that make tethering harder maybe.
    01-06-13 07:38 AM
    Why didn't you get a Blackberry Bold phone in the first place??? Disappointment from the start was on you!!!..Kudos and Congratulations on all of your efforts though.
    01-06-13 12:51 PM
    Because I don't fancy paying the Blackberry tax and always having to rely on RIM's data infra I'll choose my own cloud, thanks.

I travel a lot and BB service isn't always available overseas. The E7 functions as a standalone smartphone, more of a pocket computer, than anything else I've seen. I can buy a local data-enabled SIM, pop that in and use mobile data without getting hit by huge roaming rates.

Now RIM, put in Bluetooth file transfers and all the wrongs in the world are corrected
    01-06-13 06:04 PM
    All the bluetooth features work in Blackberry 10.

By the way, USB Host works in BB10 too.
    01-06-13 10:54 PM
    All the bluetooth features work in Blackberry 10.
    By the way, USB Host works in BB10 too.
    I saw your fantastic work on rooting and hacking the Playbook. I salute you I take it you're a Symbian user and an E7 owner as well?

Will BB10 support USB Mass Storage (MSC) also? I saw some files referencing USB MSC while poking around on the command line. Hopefully we can use some part of the Playbook's storage just by hooking it up to a computer, without having to install any drivers like right now.
    01-07-13 02:20 AM
    I have the same setup on my Nokia N8, works brilliantly.

The only PITA is having to cycle each time through RIM's warnings re data charges when tethered. I have unlimited data allowance (subject to fair usage ) so would love to be able to tick a box that said "don't warn me of this again"

However, I understand US carriers are meaner than european ones and make some high charges for data use?
    01-07-13 06:41 AM
    Works fine with my Nokia N8 (Symbian Anna, I haven't, nor will "upgrade" to Belle).

I had to create a profile for my mobile provider, but other than that, it works perfectly.

I've been saying this for a while, now - it's a boon for those that don't have native WiFi hotspot facilities on their handset - and Joikuspot (at least the free version) is very limited and only creates ad-hoc (not infrastructure) mode hotspots (and because of this would never work with my Android tablet, and I didn't want the pain of hacking my Android tablet to be able to connect to ad-hoc WiFi access points).
    01-08-13 07:40 AM
    oddly I found this thread after a very long google, just got it going on my n97 mini which makes it worth finding a tariff with unlimited internet.

in the UK giffgaff seem to do the best sim only deal at 12 quid.
    11-26-13 04:25 PM